PDA

View Full Version : Honda transmission problems

ShadowFromHell
11-16-2007, 10:34 PM
So... My gf has a 01 honda accord, v6 auto. Nice car, just rolled over 100k. It has been shifting into 2nd rather hard, and It was in the shop for other issues (I don't work on her car, lol) and I asked them to look at it. Turns out that it is throwing a code for a bad shift solenoid. Since it is a honda, it only throws one code, for all the solenoids. I believe the transmission has to be replaced to fix the problem. The car is currently drivable, but is making me very nervous that it has a transmission problem and she still owes over 10k on it. The tech (who i trust) also told me the transmission fluid looks horrid.

anyways, is this a foreign 604? Should we just trade it in before it implodes? she is upside down it it by about 4 grand, so trading it in is going to be hard.

thanks
Dustin

1FastCSX289
11-16-2007, 10:49 PM
So... My gf has a 01 honda accord, v6 auto. Nice car, just rolled over 100k. It has been shifting into 2nd rather hard, and It was in the shop for other issues (I don't work on her car, lol) and I asked them to look at it. Turns out that it is throwing a code for a bad shift solenoid. Since it is a honda, it only throws one code, for all the solenoids. I believe the transmission has to be replaced to fix the problem. The car is currently drivable, but is making me very nervous that it has a transmission problem and she still owes over 10k on it. The tech (who i trust) also told me the transmission fluid looks horrid.

anyways, is this a foreign 604? Should we just trade it in before it implodes? she is upside down it it by about 4 grand, so trading it in is going to be hard.

thanks
Dustin

As long as there arent pieces scattered around your driveway from the trans exploding, there is no reason to replace it. If its coding for a shift solenoid, why would you replace the tranny? Figure out if it has a solenoid that is bad and replace it or if its a wiring problem, etc. Flush the tranny and drive it for another 100k. If you dont work on the car, bring it to a GOOD transmission specialty shop that isnt just going to sell you a rebuild.....one that ACTUALLY knows how to FIX electrical/driveability issues. My father's shop gets cars from places like Cottmans all the time where they sold a rebuilt tranny and it didnt even fix the problem because it was a TCU problem or other electrical gremlin.

turbovanmanČ
11-16-2007, 11:16 PM
The solenoids probably went bad from the horrid fluid. How much is the solenoid pack, not from Honda? I can get them if you need them. I would change the solenoids, filter, fluid then have it flushed and pray.

ShadowFromHell
11-17-2007, 01:03 PM
we are off to look at a new avenger! If they cant make it under 400 a month, im going to try to band-aid it.

ShadowFromHell
11-17-2007, 10:11 PM
bought the avenger!

thanks guys