PDA

View Full Version : This should be a good one.....

Xtrempickup
11-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Well i keep kicking around how i want to configure the motor i'm going to be putting into my 84 carbed rampage. I have a spare 16V Masi DOHC motor and 284 Getrag trans complete from soup to nuts with wiring and computer. Obviously im thinking sure, put the complete motor and trans in. Well, it sounds good, but its not enough for me. I'm contemplating using the spare Turbo i have here on it, i know its a Borg Warner, spare for my 6.5L turbo diesel truck. Also was wondering, maybe just a holset hx-40 if nothing else if i got ambitious considering the space on a Masi motor is a lot nicer than any other that i can think of. Now big turbo thats great, now i'm thinking about an auto tranny for it. 413 built would be able to do the job, and at least I can consider brake boosting the hell out of it to get my monster turbo spooling. Slicks i'm guessing would be the ultimate tire of choice considering the build to get any useable power out to the wheels. any thoughts>?

cordes
11-13-2007, 11:46 PM
There is now a cal out there which will retard timing while you stage with a manual trans to build boost with a manual. Yet another reason to stick with stock electronics and a 5 speed. :amen:

Xtrempickup
11-14-2007, 12:07 AM
sounds like a good option to have but the auto would be a lot more consistent and easier to launch and make serious passes on thats the only reason im thinking about one

turboshad
11-14-2007, 01:32 PM
There is now a cal out there which will retard timing while you stage with a manual trans to build boost with a manual. Yet another reason to stick with stock electronics and a 5 speed. :amen:

You can also do this with Megasquirt. And retarded timing with a torque convertor will spool like no other. Talk to Guidsm on td.com about that.

DJ

turbovanmanČ
11-14-2007, 02:23 PM
You can also do this with Megasquirt. And retarded timing with a torque convertor will spool like no other. Talk to Guidsm on td.com about that.

DJ

Guidism is now a member on here now, ;)

Auto's and spooling are no problem, I could spool my 60 trim easily to 15 psi at the starting line, :thumb:

Auto's are definatley easier to launch and be consistant but for them to live, your looking at a few pennies, :nod:

Xtrempickup
11-14-2007, 06:04 PM
besides the money, i wasnt even thinking about it. I was more concerned with the motor being able to make serious power and if it was worth screwing around or just leaving the factory IHI tiny turbo on it

cordes
11-14-2007, 08:21 PM
I don't think a masi motor would have a problem making power.

Xtrempickup
11-14-2007, 10:03 PM
i dont think so either just wasnt sure about the size of turbo if could spool up in a decent about of time so the car doesnt become dead until 4K rpm then take off like a jet

turbovanmanČ
11-14-2007, 10:06 PM
besides the money, i wasnt even thinking about it. I was more concerned with the motor being able to make serious power and if it was worth screwing around or just leaving the factory IHI tiny turbo on it

Its a high flowing 16 valve engine, of course put a bigger turbo on it.