PDA

View Full Version : TU Cast Iron Hybrid Headers Now Accepting Pre-Orders

Chris W
11-09-2007, 08:57 PM
We asked ourselves what the Turbo-Dodge community was missing in a performance exhaust header. TU then went to the drawing board to design and ultimately produce our own unique version that gives this niche` market the extra advantages they’ve been waiting for.

Our primary objectives were to:
1) Reduce turbo removal and replacement time to under an hour WITHOUT having to pull the cylinder head. Not only does this save time, but, the cost of a new head gasket as well.
2) Allow the use of the stock style turbo as well as any TU TrannyBuster T3/T4 Hybrid & GT Dual Ball Bearing turbocharger without costly customization or fabrication.
3) Enhance turbo efficiency by eliminating the need for 90-degree elbows when using larger T04E, T04B, etc compressor housings.
4) Maintain compatibility with all 8-valve Turbo Dodge vehicles*
5) Maintain compatibility with other TU performance products (ie. 3" Swingvalve, 3" Downpipe, etc.).
6) Decrease spool time by incorporating step header design.
7) Offer a more affordable header option for the budget minded enthusiast.

The TU Cast Iron header kit includes all the necessary components and extensions (not shown) to keep installation simple and hassle free. Our Cast Iron Headers contain a high content of NI and SI providing superior strength in comparison to other aftermarket manifolds. They are reliable enough for every day use and rugged enough for extreme duty applications. We offer our Thermal Coating upgrade to decrease under hood temperatures and to keep that header looking brand new all the time. Our step header design enhances exhaust flow by slowly increasing the log size from the number 1 to number 4 cylinders. An external wastegate actuator option is already incorporated into the header for those serious racers not using the standard swingvalve set up. Available with Chrysler turbine housing flange only. Please be aware that these headers are NEW castings and not used products. Be sure to contact us prior to ordering so we can be sure to meet your expectations with delivery time. *Fits all cable shifted vehicles only.

We are currently accepting Pre-Orders for these headers. The discount price of $375. will be available for the first 20 orders only. The first 4 orders will receive product by the end of November. We expect the remaining headers to be completed by the first of the year.

The first run of these headers is a test run. We may or may not decide to continue them based on the demand.

Thanks for your support!

Chris-TU

Chris W
11-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Two of the first four are sold! Only two left for November delivery. The other 20 will hopefully be shipped in January.

Chris-TU

1. Bubba
2. John Laing
3.?
4.?

BTW- You have to actually place an order on our website. Responding on this thread, PM or emailing does not lock you in for one.

Bubba
11-09-2007, 09:50 PM
THANK-YOU!!! For all your hard work getting these things out!

8valves
11-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Looks awesome Chris!

Clay
11-10-2007, 12:26 AM
what is the flow of this manifold vs the stocker?

also, where does this place the turbo vs. the stocker?

thing there will be any fit issues with an l-body? very interested

zin
11-10-2007, 01:12 AM
I saw the model at a SoCal meet, pretty much decided right there that the Omni would have one, so $$ sent! :D It sets the turbo over to the driver's side enough to let the hybrid turbo not have to have a 90 or other mods to fit. That right there was worth the price of admission, plus the inner mold looks like it should flow well and maintain velocity. :thumb: Unfortunately It'll be some time before I can give a 1st hand account of what it does, as the Omni will be awhile before it's ready for it. Besides, the Spirit just lost oil pressure, so I've got other issues right now! :(

Mike

Birddog
11-10-2007, 02:43 AM
I'd be numbers 3 and 4 on the list if it had a T3 flange... But the 3" Lbody exhaust stuff is back so I'm happy!:thumb:

Chris W
11-10-2007, 04:40 AM
The following customers will be receiving their headers this month.

1. Bubba
2. John Laing
3. Mike Flynn
4. Tony Queen

Anyone who placed their order after 7:31 PM MST tonight will receive their headers in the first part of January. There are 16 headers remaining at this price.

Thanks for your support!

Chris-TU

mpgmike
11-10-2007, 11:19 AM
'Scuse me, gotta get to the TU site and place my order. Be right back!

Mike

tvanlant
11-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Dang, I wish I was online when those 4 spots opened up, I really need one! :mad:

Oh well, I'll order one and wait until January :thumb:

Looks nice, Chris, and it's nice to see you're going above and beyond to make us a great quality aftermarket.

Chris W
11-10-2007, 02:38 PM
11 headers left@$375.

Chris-TU

slasky
11-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Chris,

Would this just be a plug and play for my car or will I have to modify some things? Would I be able to swap turbos on my L body without removing the head if i upgrade to this?

Clay
11-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Scott - according to the email chris just sent me, their test vehicle was an L-body...... :)

Directconnection
11-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Our primary objectives were to:
1) Reduce turbo removal and replacement time to under an hour WITHOUT having to pull the cylinder head. Not only does this save time, but, the cost of a new head gasket as well.
2) Allow the use of the stock style turbo as well as any TU TrannyBuster T3/T4 Hybrid & GT Dual Ball Bearing turbocharger without costly customization or fabrication.
3) Enhance turbo efficiency by eliminating the need for 90-degree elbows when using larger T04E, T04B, etc compressor housings.
4) Maintain compatibility with all 8-valve Turbo Dodge vehicles*
5) Maintain compatibility with other TU performance products (ie. 3" Swingvalve, 3" Downpipe, etc.).
6) Decrease spool time by incorporating step header design.
7) Offer a more affordable header option for the budget minded enthusiast.

Thanks for your support!

Chris-TU

Chris, you left out the most important #! It outflows a ported stocker
or "_________" header/manifolds.

tvanlant
11-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Chris, you left out the most important #! It outflows a ported stocker
or "_________" header/manifolds.

What does it flow compared to the TU hybrid header? I would assume better because it doesn't use T's, and it is stepped?

Directconnection
11-10-2007, 07:09 PM
I have no clue myself, but I heard it was supposed to be pretty good. I'm sure Chris wouldn't invest the time and $ into something of this magnitude if it was subpar...or par.

2.216VTurbo
11-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Hmm, I know a guy In SoCal that did HOURS of flowbenching/runner adjustments on these things to get the max flow AND balance just right.:eyebrows: I'm sure he is sworn to secrecy though:thumb:

mpgmike
11-10-2007, 11:25 PM
From what I remember Chris telling me, his stainless header flows about 400 cfm and this beast flows about 485 cfm!

Mike

Clay
11-10-2007, 11:33 PM
yup, thats what he told me as well!!!!!! compared to 325 for a stocker!!!!

Directconnection
11-11-2007, 12:41 AM
Sounds great. (but a more accurate test is individual runners tested on the head which I believe they did as well)

Clay
11-11-2007, 01:01 AM
ok, then what were those results?????????????

GLHSKEN
11-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Ordered today.... Just fuel system left...

contraption22
11-11-2007, 06:16 PM
I've got manifold envy... Anybody wanna buy my "old" TU Hybrid header? lol

mcsvt
11-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Put my order through... glad I was away from the computer this weekend :rolleyes: I've only said I wanted one from day one, now I have to wait more months... O well.

slasky
11-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Damn you Chris!!!! Now I have to spend more money.

Chris W
11-12-2007, 08:04 PM
There are 3 exhaust manifolds left @$375.

I am still compiling the balance of the data and will post it once I'm finished.

Scott/Tyler/Gary M.- Sorry about the short notice on the sale. :(

Thanks!

Chris-TU

GLHSKEN
11-12-2007, 08:19 PM
So 17 sold in 3 days.... Not bad...

Clay
11-12-2007, 08:22 PM
yeah, I dont think you will have a problem moving these things. Cant wait to get mine!!!!!!!!!!

mcsvt
11-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Don't get me wrong I'm excited to get it too :thumb: Guess it gives me more time to buy the right parts. Pistons, Turbo...

GLHSKEN
11-12-2007, 08:42 PM
LOL had them here, could have sent you back to NY with them...

8valves
11-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Yeah, those went quick. Congrats Chris.

mcsvt
11-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Ken don't tease me ;)

contraption22
11-13-2007, 01:13 AM
I pray there is a second run of these. I want one bad, but I can't justify it if I can't keep a tranny in my car!

2.216VTurbo
11-13-2007, 12:41 PM
So 17 sold in 3 days.... Not bad...

Yeah, but something tells me 20 manifolds is still not to his break even point for $$$ invested in the development.

Now Chris, onto the next HiPo part...Maybe something that the 16V guys can use:D Or maybe L body front suspension, tubular control arms or ? There were some good ideas when you started a 'what should we build' thread:D

Mario
11-13-2007, 12:48 PM
tubular control arms or a multipoint strut tower bar, or a bolt in irs

Yes! All for L's!!! :)

87glhs232
11-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Or maybe L body front suspension, tubular control arms or ?

Shhh....

contraption22
11-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Now Chris, onto the next HiPo part...Maybe something that the 16V guys can use:D Or maybe L body front suspension, tubular control arms or ? There were some good ideas when you started a 'what should we build' thread:D

I'd love a cast header similar in design to the 8v header that is the topic of this thread, but for the Neon DOHC head. Using a Chrysler turbine inlet flange. Allowing the use of TU 3" swingvalves and downpipes! Imagine all the work and money it would save those who have already invested alot in their 8v engines and want to re-use as many parts as possible. In addition it would allow TU to sell swingvalves and downpipes to Neon-head conversion customers!

OR....

A new cast 3" swingvalve that will bolt to a standard T3 Turbine housing, Allowing the same benefits as above! (if used in conjunction with an existing DOHC exhaust manifold that puts the turbo in a similar position.)

Directconnection
11-13-2007, 01:45 PM
I'd love a cast header similar in design to the 8v header that is the topic of this thread, but for the Neon DOHC head. Using a Chrysler turbine inlet flange. Allowing the use of TU 3" swingvalves and downpipes! Imagine all the work and money it would save those who have already invested alot in their 8v engines and want to re-use as many parts as possible. In addition it would allow TU to sell swingvalves and downpipes to Neon-head conversion customers!

OR....

A new cast 3" swingvalve that will bolt to a standard T3 Turbine housing, Allowing the same benefits as above! (if used in conjunction with an existing DOHC exhaust manifold that puts the turbo in a similar position.)

Let's not get greedy now! You 16v Neon guys get your parts from their vendors... keep away from ours!;)

The TU 3" SW is a hot item, and sells for more used when TU is out of stock. I forsee the same thing happening with these headers. So, with that being said... get 'em while their hot!

Austrian Dodge
11-13-2007, 01:59 PM

VERY GOOD idea! :thumb:

slasky
11-13-2007, 02:04 PM
I think there might only be one left now. :)

Chris W
11-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Yeah, but something tells me 20 manifolds is still not to his break even point for $$$ invested in the development.

Nope. Haven't broken even yet. Not even close :(

All GREAT ideas. Keep them coming:thumb:

A few of those future products are already on the TU chalkboard, but, we're not saying which ones :p :D Our decision to re-invest in a new project will be based on how quickly we replenish the R&D funds from the previous one. It took us several years to accumulate enough funds from our 3" swingvalve to have enough to produce the header. What sets us back the most is when certain customers only purchase the unique items we offer and nothing more. The lack of R&D funds ultimately delays the production and release of our new go-fast goodies. With all the new ideas we have on our RADAR screen it's a shame that some of them may never see the pages of our website. With that being said, we will be implementing a new pricing structure in the near future. Rather then charging our customers a fee to obtain a discount, we prefer to reward those that have stood by our side to support us year after year. In the end, everyone will be rewarded with new and better products being offered. I'll be posting a detailed thread about this in the coming weeks.

Okay, so who is going to start the "What should TU build next" thread?

Chris-TU

Chris W
11-13-2007, 03:55 PM
I think there might only be one left now. :)

Gee, how did you know there is only 1 left? :D

Thanks Scott!!

Chris-TU

Vigo
11-13-2007, 11:51 PM
with the massive improvements in accessability, flow, and bolt-on ease, this is looking like the next big thing for these cars.

Here's hoping these things are going to be in production for a long time!

maybe then i can get one later.. : /

moparzrule
11-14-2007, 07:55 AM
Chris will you be making the cast iron header in a standard T3 flange also?

Mario
11-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Chris will you be making the cast iron header in a standard T3 flange also?

Available with Chrysler turbine housing flange only.

:thumb:

Chris W
11-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks Mario!

We designed our headers to work in conjunction with our 3" swingvalves which require the Chrysler turbine housing.

Chris-TU

moparzrule
11-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Mario I don't really re-call asking you since I started it with ''Chris''. What I am asking is is there any future plans for making this in a standard T3, I know your hybrid header has an option of T3, just asking about this one.
If you start making it in standard T3 I would be interested because my setup is ATP's 3'' V band swingvalve and even with a tight radius 90* it's really close to the power steering on the stock manifold.

8valves
11-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Mario I don't really re-call asking you since I started it with ''Chris''. What I am asking is is there any future plans for making this in a standard T3, I know your hybrid header has an option of T3, just asking about this one.
If you start making it in standard T3 I would be interested because my setup is ATP's 3'' V band swingvalve and even with a tight radius 90* it's really close to the power steering on the stock manifold.

As far as I know my old TU header was one of the very few with a T3 flange on it. After that they weren't marketed anymore due to some clearance issues IIRC.

Plus, if you were Chris, would you want to supply a header for people, make a few dollars, then watch them go buy other people's universal products to run on their car? If it were my business I'd rather make something that can be used as a package to help produce sales of all of my Chrysler specific parts. Business wise it's much smarter.

But that's just me. Maybe Chris has other reasons.

moparzrule
11-14-2007, 05:07 PM
^Those are all good points you have, guess I'll just be sticking with my current ported stocker that I drilled for standard T3 flange then! :cool:

Chris W
11-14-2007, 05:42 PM
As far as I know my old TU header was one of the very few with a T3 flange on it. After that they weren't marketed anymore due to some clearance issues IIRC.

Plus, if you were Chris, would you want to supply a header for people, make a few dollars, then watch them go buy other people's universal products to run on their car? If it were my business I'd rather make something that can be used as a package to help produce sales of all of my Chrysler specific parts. Business wise it's much smarter.

But that's just me. Maybe Chris has other reasons.

The angle required for a standard turbine housing is different then what's required for a Chrysler housing. I believe I mentioned this several times in previous threads. At this point we would have to make a whole other manifold to support a different turbine housing. But, this would not allow customers to use our other products. As Aaron mentioned above :clap:, it would be self defeating for us to create a manifold to accept universal products. Chrysler housings work fine, why change them??? I don't think TU prices are out of line. In order for us to continue to design, develop and produce new products such as these headers we need the support of the community. By taking your chances on EBay or other places where products are cheap you're just preventing new products from getting to the TD market.

Chris-TU

moparzrule
11-14-2007, 06:04 PM
I don't think TU prices are out of line

Not at all. I was only curious!

10G OMNI
11-16-2007, 12:39 AM
If you still have the last one i will take it.

butchsuppe
11-16-2007, 02:22 AM
What should TU build next ? how about bronze shift fork pads. Some pads for the 555, you can't buy new ANYWHERE. Won.t cost much to develop and you could improve over the stock ones.:thumb:

mpgmike
11-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Hey guys, when you get your manifolds, please let us know. I know I have a TU avatar on this forum, but I live back east and am not actively involved in Chris' day-to-day business. I am very interested in this manifold and want to know what you all think.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Bubba
11-16-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm hoping to get mine next week, since I leave for a month on Nov. 25th.

tvanlant
11-16-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm hoping to get mine next week, since I leave for a month on Nov. 25th.

You should send your manifold to me, then! :nod:

mcsvt
11-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Tyler I think I'm closer, he should send it to me :)

moparzrule
11-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Hey I'm closer yet, screw you both hahaha J/K.

mcsvt
11-16-2007, 06:34 PM
But I could attach it to one of Tyler's heads and take sexy pictures...

moparzrule
11-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Damn, you win :p

Chris W
11-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Here's the complete kit with the thermal coated option.

Chris-TU

mcsvt
11-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Thermal Coating costs how much?

slasky
11-16-2007, 09:56 PM
What is the smaller pipe for?

Clay
11-16-2007, 10:58 PM

gotta be an extension for either the oil or water supply line.

Chris W
11-17-2007, 12:25 AM

Smaller pipe is coolant supply extension. Larger pipe with flange is oil return.

Chris-TU

mustangsally
11-17-2007, 01:12 AM
I'm closest...but I only have a Mustang so far :( ;)

slasky
11-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Smaller pipe is coolant supply extension. Larger pipe with flange is oil return.

Chris-TU

Thanks. I though thats what it was for but it looks a little small.

GLHSKEN
11-17-2007, 09:24 AM
thanks for that pic chris... Scott, extension will make the std TU braided water line fit... Otherwise you would need a new one.

Clay
11-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Is the external WG mounting going to come undrilled Im guessing?

I wonder if it would be possible to drill it before installation and put a block off plate. I bet it would be hard to seal up though.

clay

Bubba
11-17-2007, 10:46 AM
You should send your manifold to me, then! :nod:

Nope...this is one of the major pieces to my puzzle for this year. The suspense is killing me....;)

Chris W
11-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Thermal Coating costs how much?

$150. for the Hi-Tech Aerospace thermal coating. I am working on a less expensive alternative though.:nod:

Thanks. I though thats what it was for but it looks a little small.

You are right it does look small, but, it's the same id as the -6AN line.:thumb:

I'm sure there is an "S" car in your future. You just need to be more optomistic :thumb:

Is the external WG mounting going to come undrilled Im guessing?

I wonder if it would be possible to drill it before installation and put a block off plate. I bet it would be hard to seal up though.

clay

We added provisions for the wastegate because we knew there might be some requests for that option. We would not recommend drilling it out unless you are going to use it. Our flow bench testing indicated a bit of turbulence in the log when we added the WG hole. Blending it in with the log might reduce some of that though.

Chris-TU

mcsvt
11-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the response Chris :thumb: Since mine won't be done for a bit, I guess I have some time to decide :)

contraption22
11-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the response Chris :thumb: Since mine won't be done for a bit, I guess I have some time to decide :)

Gary... I have a proposition for you. I will trade you one 2008 Preston & Steve Totally Office Calendar, for your TU Header.

mcsvt
11-17-2007, 08:46 PM
That is somewhat tempting... I may have to buy that dvd or whatever they are selling and throwing in a calender just to get one...

contraption22
11-17-2007, 11:32 PM
You drive a hard bargain my friend. I will get you the DVD AND the Calendar! lol

mcsvt
11-18-2007, 12:41 PM
O man that's so tempting... I'm so far behind in the podcasts... :(

quantum
11-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Are there any of these left?

Chris W
11-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Are there any of these left?

Yes, we are still accepting orders for these headers.

http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=318&osCsid=87e42bee81353bfaa3c07b44e7cf721c

There are a limited number of these currently being produced. We offered the first 20 @ an introductory price of $375. and they have all been spoken for. The first four header kits ordered will be shipping this month. The balance of the orders will be shipping in January.

Here's a couple more shots of the test header install. We did not have to remove the cylinder head, but, we did have a spare engine available to test fit the header off the vehicle. This made the exhaust manifold swap much simpler. It did get a little tight around the heater core hoses but a simple realignment of the WG actuator bracket quickly solved that.

Chris-TU

t3rse
11-19-2007, 12:28 PM

you need to buy a header and a turbo, and then you'll have an excuse to put some rear into finding a car to put them on!

mustangsally
11-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Isn't that kind of like putting the cart before the horse? ;)

t3rse
11-19-2007, 05:49 PM
yeah but if you have a cart you have to buy a horse don't you? :eyebrows:

quantum
11-19-2007, 05:55 PM
yeah but if you have a cart you have to buy a horse don't you? :eyebrows:

Well you could pull it yourself..like a rickshaw; but that digresses from your point I think.

John B
11-20-2007, 12:50 AM
I may get a header on the second run. I might have my cal by then. Maybe.

mustangsally
11-20-2007, 01:47 AM
Well you could pull it yourself..like a rickshaw; but that digresses from your point I think.

Yes, digress. Kinda like how this thread got hijacked :p Sorry Chris! :D

87glhs232
11-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Yes, digress. Kinda like how this thread got hijacked :p Sorry Chris! :D

Your a thread killer....you know that right?

mustangsally
11-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Your a thread killer....you know that right?

Thanks for calling attention to it; like I wasn't already self-conscious of the fact! Maybe I should just go... :mecry: :p

Vigo
11-20-2007, 05:56 PM
dont worry, i dont own a running turbo car either and i still roam tm like i own it.

of course i think searching my posts shows my contribution is obvious even if im not among the MOST elite of tm knowledge/experience.

coincidentally i lurk in many of Chris W's threads...

t3rse
11-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks for calling attention to it; like I wasn't already self-conscious of the fact! Maybe I should just go... :mecry: :p

shut up and go buy a dodge! :D :D

mustangsally
11-21-2007, 04:33 PM
shut up and go buy a dodge! :D :D I'm trying damnit! :mad: Geez you guys are becoming awfully demanding! :whip:

t3rse
11-23-2007, 01:49 PM
we're just trying to save your soul.

mustangsally
11-23-2007, 11:25 PM
Well in that case..... :amen: ;)

Frank
11-23-2007, 11:47 PM
See I am not so bad after all! I am tame!

t3rse
11-24-2007, 11:42 AM
talk about getting off track!

Chris W
11-24-2007, 12:14 PM
talk about getting off track!

That's okay. I think we can all agree that MS has Carte Blanche anywhere she goes on this forum:D

We all need to cut her some slack on the "S" car though. The girl IS dedicated. She already has an extensive miniature Dodge car collection that rivals even mine. :clap: She is probably just waiting on the right low mileage car :love: that comes along at the right time in her life. If she gets just any old one it might require too much work and ultimately discourage her from keeping it. So, let's support her in her search for the right one so she will grace our community for many years to come:amen:

Chris-TU

t3rse
11-24-2007, 03:48 PM
i'm trying to get her to buy one of your headers :dancingbana: :dancingbana:

i'd buy one if i didn't have a 2.4 stuffed it my car!

bump for a good product, and somebody find Sally a good car!

mustangsally
11-25-2007, 06:15 AM
How about, "Somebody find Sally a job," and we'll go from there :p

mcsvt
11-25-2007, 11:17 AM
If you were in NYC I'm sure I could get you interviews... ;)

t3rse
11-25-2007, 01:40 PM
yup, sorry dear, you are in the wrong part of the country...however if you happened to have a ChemE degree, i could get you a job out there...

zin
11-26-2007, 02:54 AM

What kind of a job are you looking/qualified for?

Mike

PS Yes, it did take a bit of restraint on my part to not "go there". :o :D

mustangsally
12-01-2007, 03:08 PM
What kind of a job are you looking/qualified for?

Mike

PS Yes, it did take a bit of restraint on my part to not "go there". :o :D

I'm impressed...I didn't know there was such a thing as "restraint" on these forums with you guys :p :thumb: :D

Chris W
12-04-2007, 11:38 PM

Okay, enough of your soliciting MS :p Back on topic now.:thumb:

We are shipping/delivering the first four headers this week. We'll provide everyone with updates once we receive them from our suppliers.

We also decided to manufacturer 100 of these headers and they are available on our website. Delivery will be in January with all the rest.

Thanks!

Chris-TU

GLHSKEN
12-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Best DAMN product to hit us since ??? I'm counting on it to spool a GT30 DDB turbo....

Bubba
12-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the update, Chris!

t3rse
12-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Best DAMN product to hit us since ??? I'm counting on it to spool a GT30 DDB turbo....

best product since the 2.4!

quantum
12-05-2007, 04:44 PM

+1 I will be returning for a GT30 DDB from Chris once the holiday season passes and my pockets are not so empty.

The Pope
12-06-2007, 02:58 AM
wholly crap we finally have a real street header that flows as much as the head, now all we need is a new custom intake and we'll have less need to run a 16v. I was hoping to get one of the first ones but because Wisco doesn't know how to make a 2.2 piston I won't be ready for it anytime soon anyway =(

I bet the 100 will not last either.:D

Chris W
12-06-2007, 12:42 PM
wholly crap we finally have a real street header that flows as much as the head, now all we need is a new custom intake and we'll have less need to run a 16v. I was hoping to get one of the first ones but because Wisco doesn't know how to make a 2.2 piston I won't be ready for it anytime soon anyway =(

I bet the 100 will not last either.:D

Intake manifolds are on the dawing board :thumb:

Call us on the 2.2 Wiseco pistons. We have the 8-valve versions in stock.

Chris-TU

johnl
12-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Got mine last night and at a great price too - I've bought enough stuff from Chris that he gave me a "loyalty discount." This header is just beautiful. Other than a port match perhaps, there is no need to touch it. The part lines of the casting are as good as it gets - visible but no high spots & no low spots. Quality. I'll try to get some pics posted.

zin
12-08-2007, 03:57 AM
Got mine as well. I'm going to say that it's got to be one of (if not the) best quality parts built specifically for our cars! A real solid piece!

Mike

The Pope
12-13-2007, 03:15 PM
I am wondering about turbo to manifold line up. Is there any work needed on the turbo side? Normally it doesn't matter to me but I coated my turbo already and don't want to cut into it. I'm hoping to just cut and polish the manifold to match everything and coat it.

On a side note I wonder if TU is working on a DP that matches up to the external WG and 3" SV...

Chris W
12-13-2007, 04:59 PM
I am wondering about turbo to manifold line up. Is there any work needed on the turbo side? Normally it doesn't matter to me but I coated my turbo already and don't want to cut into it. I'm hoping to just cut and polish the manifold to match everything and coat it.

Almost any aftermarket manifold would require some port matching. This is not due to just the manifold though. Turbine housings can be different due to variations in castings. If you are looking for maximum flow it is always best to port match the two components yourself. That goes without saying for ANY aftermarket parts for ANY vehicle. Whenever you cast something there will always be a possibility that there will be slight variations due to core shift.

On a side note I wonder if TU is working on a DP that matches up to the external WG and 3" SV...
Our 3" downpipe bolts right up. The only modification required is the removal of the last bend furthest from the turbo. Other then that it's a straight bolt on.

Chris-TU

The Pope
01-06-2008, 06:46 PM
From what I remember Chris telling me, his stainless header flows about 400 cfm and this beast flows about 485 cfm!

Mike

Hope so, my exhaust flows 588 total. Hoping for very equal flow on each port more so than total flow myself. The stock and ported manifold is everywhere. If you can't have equal length and sepperated exhaust to help with reversion, the last place to find power is equal back pressure. Closer to equal pressure and more volume will be nice.

How is production coming? I am excited to try it myself and Jan was going to be when they get finished on the second batch. Any time frame guess yet TU?

Chris W
01-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Hope so, my exhaust flows 588 total. Hoping for very equal flow on each port more so than total flow myself. The stock and ported manifold is everywhere. If you can't have equal length and sepperated exhaust to help with reversion, the last place to find power is equal back pressure. Closer to equal pressure and more volume will be nice.

How is production coming? I am excited to try it myself and Jan was going to be when they get finished on the second batch. Any time frame guess yet TU?

I was told that the 100 TU Header castings will be ready for pick up the end of next week. Then it's off to the machine shop to true the flange surfaces and drill/tap the holes. That should take no longer then a week.

Chris-TU

ikknown
01-13-2008, 07:31 PM
how do you use an external wastegate with this cast header? It says on the website that you can use an external wastegate, i wasnt sure where it attached and if i would need to do any extra work.

Bubba
01-13-2008, 07:38 PM
how do you use an external wastegate with this cast header? It says on the website that you can use an external wastegate, i wasnt sure where it attached and if i would need to do any extra work.

There's a boss towards the passenger side that is made for the external wastegate, it just needs to be drilled appropriately.

ikknown
01-13-2008, 11:05 PM
have you done this? How easy is it to drill and what external wastegate can be used?

Bubba
01-14-2008, 09:26 AM
have you done this? How easy is it to drill and what external wastegate can be used?

Nope, I don't plan to use an external wastegate. You can talk to Chris, he could probably set it up for before shipping, but you'd have to talk to him about that.

Chris W
01-14-2008, 10:02 PM

We included a boss for an external wastegate actuator but did not have them machined for a couple of reasons. On the flow bench we found that an exhaust bypass hole in the log will cause turbulence and reduce flow numbers. Since most customers will not be using the external actuators it didn't make sense for us to machine them all that way. Our bolt on 3 inch swingvalves with the larger bypass pucks provide all the performance advantages of the external WGs without having to weld/fabricate the exhaust outlet. If a customer would like us to machine the external WG port for them we can do it for a nominal charge.

Chris-TU

Mike M
01-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Hey Chris, not to be nitpicky, but do we have an estimated time on when this batch of headers will be finished up and shipped out?

Thanks muchly!

Chris W
01-31-2008, 12:24 PM
Hey Chris, not to be nitpicky, but do we have an estimated time on when this batch of headers will be finished up and shipped out?

Thanks muchly!

I'll be picking the 100 castings up tomorrow and they will be machined next week. Won't be much longer.:thumb:

Chris-TU

The Pope
02-21-2008, 01:45 AM
any news yet? Getting any shipped yet? Were excited lol.

Chris W
02-22-2008, 12:26 AM
The first batch (32) has been completed. Our machinist mistakingly used a 3/8-24 fine thread tap rather then the coarse -16 that we had requested. :banghead: Matching studs had to be re-ordered and they are on their way in now. Shipping next week. :amen: Here's a photo of the completed headers.

Chris-TU

87glhs232
02-22-2008, 12:27 AM
:thumb: See ya Sunday. Can't wait to have lovely forged slugs and a new cast header!

Chris W
02-25-2008, 07:07 PM
TU Cast Iron Hybrid Headers will start shipping today and tomorrow. Most orders have been upgraded to USPS Priority mail for all domestic and International orders. Thermal Coated headers shipping next week.

We will be providing turbo oil drainback flanges and tubes unassembled. We have found that all castings are not alike so it would be best for the customer to align, mark and weld those pieces together on their own. Also, to simplify turbo install 2 studs with lock nuts and 2 bolts will be provided for attaching the turbo to the header.

Thanks!

Chris-TU

mcsvt
02-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Hmm... me thinks I should buy the rest of the parts I need and get my butt in gear...

87glhs232
02-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Freaking AWESOME! It looks great! Thanks Chris!

Bubba
02-26-2008, 08:41 AM
Hey Chris, would it be possible to get a set of the turbo attaching studs/bolts/nuts? they'll fit in the first release version won't they?

87glhs232
02-26-2008, 10:50 AM
The first release had the 'correct' course threads tapped. The 100 he just picked up were mistakenly tapped with a fine thread. No, the new bolts won't work in the very first few that are out there.

Bubba
02-26-2008, 11:10 AM
The first release had the 'correct' course threads tapped. The 100 he just picked up were mistakenly tapped with a fine thread. No, the new bolts won't work in the very first few that are out there.

Oh crap, then I have to find some studs for my manifold. Thanks for the reminder of that.

Chris W
02-26-2008, 01:21 PM
All of the cast headers machined so far (6 test pieces + 32 first batch) were tapped for 3/8-24 for the turbine flange. Future headers will all be machined for 3/8-16 studs and bolts. We had challenges obtaining the correct lengths so just decided to produce our own 3/8-24 studs from all thread.

Bubba, PM me and I will send you the studs, lock nuts, lock washers and bolts for your header.

Chris-TU

MiniMopar
02-26-2008, 01:31 PM
What needs to be done to a 3" downpipe due to the new location? Just rotate it a bit, or does some length need to be chopped-out? How much clearance is lost to the shift cables? The reason I ask is because I have a bung on my DP for the WB and rotating/shifting the DP will likely cause clearance issues for me. It is snug in the stock location.

Chris W
02-26-2008, 01:45 PM
What needs to be done to a 3" downpipe due to the new location? Just rotate it a bit, or does some length need to be chopped-out? How much clearance is lost to the shift cables? The reason I ask is because I have a bung on my DP for the WB and rotating/shifting the DP will likely cause clearance issues for me. It is snug in the stock location.

Hey Russ,

All that you need to do to the DP is cut off the bend furthest from the turbo and replace it with a straight pipe. The header moves the turbo over approximately 3 inches. The new location does not interfere with the shift cables. You might want to move the WB bung to the passenger side of the DP since there will be more clearance on that side.

Chris-TU

johnl
02-26-2008, 04:46 PM
In my GLHT install had no real problems. Found proper studs/nuts in the Dorman boxes/trays at the local auto parts store. Tack welded the back side of the studs just for :confused2::confused2:. . . heck I don't know why I did that!? No problems with the TU/Diogo design downpipe or the WB bung but then I had it on the passenger side already so the step over was not an issue. Actually, the header, since it is a ways down from the header connection, does not step over the full 3" but only maybe an inch - just guesstimating - but it doesn't even come close to knocking up against the L body aluminum heat shielding. Had to convert from rod to cable shift of course. No problems there. Did burn up the speedo cable though (dumb :ono look routing) so watch for that.

Now, if I could only tune the car . . . . . on this so called gasoline . . . . . fuel won't cure the detonation induced high EGTs . . . need a cal . . . . got the Zeitronix but need a laptop . . . . programming :confused::eek::eek: . . . it never ends.

Chris W
02-28-2008, 02:22 AM
Our thermal coating vendor turned our headers around in just 2 days so all coated and uncoated versions have been shipped as of Wednesday. Please contact us if you have placed an order for our cast iron header and have not received a USPS Priority Mail delivery confirmation/customs number.

We currently have 3 headers available for immediate shipping. If you are interested in getting one now and not waiting until the next batch is completed you might want to place an order soon.

Thanks again for all your patience and support,

Chris-TU

PS- Swingvalves were picked up and are currently being welded. We will advise once they are ready to ship.

Clay
02-28-2008, 09:36 AM
wow! you sold 97 of these bad boys already!!! way to go!

Chris W
02-28-2008, 11:23 AM
wow! you sold 97 of these bad boys already!!! way to go!

LOL! Not that many :D I meant the next batch of 30 to be machined which should be done next week. But we do have 2 left now for immediate shipping. One more sold last night.

Chris-TU

MiniMopar
02-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Wow. I ordered this on Wednesday afternoon and 2 days later...

http://www.knizefamily.net/russ/auto/daytona/tu-header-top.jpg
http://www.knizefamily.net/russ/auto/daytona/tu-header-bottom.jpg

slasky
02-29-2008, 05:17 PM
I just got mine today. I may get it thermo coated locally (Swain tech) since it isn't going on until I get a ported head.

mcsvt
02-29-2008, 05:26 PM
I completely for got to request the coating... Guess I'll have to find someone local :(

Chris W
02-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Wow. I ordered this on Wednesday afternoon and 2 days later...

http://www.knizefamily.net/russ/auto/daytona/tu-header-top.jpg
http://www.knizefamily.net/russ/auto/daytona/tu-header-bottom.jpg

Yes, orders are getting out very quickly lately. We have some new employees that have been working out for us.:clap2: Now if we could only get our machine shop to keep up with us by picking up the pace a little.:banghead: We are down to one header left in stock right now with the first batch. There may be another week or two before the next batch is ready to ship. One piece fuel rails are also done and shipping today.:thumb:

Chris-TU

slasky
02-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Also, to simplify turbo install 2 studs with lock nuts and 2 bolts will be provided for attaching the turbo to the header.

Thanks!

Chris-TU

How come there are two bolts instead of studs?

87glhs232
02-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Ummm....you quoted your own answer!

Chris W
02-29-2008, 08:43 PM
How come there are two bolts instead of studs?

Two studs only on the passenger side allows you to get the turbo in and hung without having drivers side studs interfering with installation. If you prefer all studs they can be obtained at any NAPA auto parts.

Chris-TU

slasky
02-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Two studs only on the passenger side allows you to get the turbo in and hung without having drivers side studs interfering with installation. If you prefer all studs they can be obtained at any NAPA auto parts.

Chris-TU

I did not realize that they would make it easier when removing and installing the turbo. However, I have never tried to remove a turbo before without pulling the head. I guess now I can with this exhaust manifold but I hope I won't have to try it out anytime soon.:)

GLHSHELBY
11-19-2010, 12:59 AM
Here's the complete kit with the thermal coated option.

Chris-TU

Due to variations in castings oil drainback tubes and flanges are not pre-assembled. Customer will need to align turbo oil drainback tubes and have welded.

any pictures of this being welded and aligned??? Just trying to get this pictured

slasky
11-19-2010, 01:22 AM
I didn't realize how long the header has been sitting on my shelf. I am finally going to put the header on this winter.

Chris W
11-19-2010, 02:07 AM
Due to variations in castings oil drainback tubes and flanges are not pre-assembled. Customer will need to align turbo oil drainback tubes and have welded.

any pictures of this being welded and aligned??? Just trying to get this pictured

Here's one positioned and another welded.

Chris-TU