PDA

View Full Version : 87 Daytona Shelby Z: common rust areas?

Clay
11-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Im going to look at an 87 Shelby Z in the next day or so and I was wondering what the common rust areas are?? The only thing I can remember is around the e-brake cable.

thanks,
clay

Turbodave
11-09-2007, 12:20 PM
E-brake cable area is common, but the least of you worries as it's also one of the easiest to fix.

On the daytonas it's not unusual for the car to look good on the outside but be totally rotten underneath. The ground effects do a good job of covering most common rust areas.

Take a good look inside the back of the front fenderwells, feel the seam back behind the plastic liners and push on the metal (if there is any left) inside the wheel well there, most times it's weak or rusted in that area. If it's your typical IL car, you'll feel carpet.

Open the door and take a good look at the area where the ground effects meet the rocker panel, look to make sure that the rocker is still solid. Stick you head underneath and examine the rocker area as best you can also.

Moving back a few feet look at the lower front of the rear 1/4's they usually rust up behind where the ground effects are, so look behind them as best you can. Check to see if the ground effects are loose, this can indicate that the panel rusted through where they mount.

Sometimes the spare-tire wells are rusty on them, but like the rust around the e-brake area it's mostly superficial and relatively easy to repair.

Doors are made pretty well on the Daytonas and unlike the L-bodies, I almost never see a daytona with rust on the door edges. It's still a good idea to check them, but even if they are bad I've got about a dozen replacement doors sitting here if you need one (free if you come get it).

The hoods rarely rust on them as well, so not much to worry about there.

The rear hatches do get some rust in the lip, but they seem to be much more resistant to that than the other body styles.

Clay
11-09-2007, 12:27 PM
thanks Dave! Luckily since this is an 87 I dont think it has much in the way of ground effects.

Turbodave
11-09-2007, 12:29 PM
thanks Dave! Luckily since this is an 87 I dont think it has much in the way of ground effects.

Even the 87's have a nice thin plastic panel covering the entire body from the molding on the door down. I was picturing the 88 Shelby-Z in my driveway as I typed this...:o

Clay
11-09-2007, 12:32 PM
ahhh, ok then. Learn something new every day!

Turbodave
11-09-2007, 12:33 PM
ahhh, ok then. Learn something new every day!

Time to make sure your Tetanus shots are up to date...:D

Clay
11-09-2007, 12:41 PM
no worries there! I work on L-bodies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

BadAssPerformance
11-09-2007, 01:16 PM
Daytonas are rust magnets... even my Z which has not seen snow since the 93/94 winter has some rust on it :(

looneytuner
11-09-2007, 01:51 PM
E-brake cable area is common, but the least of you worries as it's also one of the easiest to fix.

On the daytonas it's not unusual for the car to look good on the outside but be totally rotten underneath. The ground effects do a good job of covering most common rust areas.

Take a good look inside the back of the front fenderwells, feel the seam back behind the plastic liners and push on the metal (if there is any left) inside the wheel well there, most times it's weak or rusted in that area. If it's your typical IL car, you'll feel carpet.

Open the door and take a good look at the area where the ground effects meet the rocker panel, look to make sure that the rocker is still solid. Stick you head underneath and examine the rocker area as best you can also.

Moving back a few feet look at the lower front of the rear 1/4's they usually rust up behind where the ground effects are, so look behind them as best you can. Check to see if the ground effects are loose, this can indicate that the panel rusted through where they mount.

Sometimes the spare-tire wells are rusty on them, but like the rust around the e-brake area it's mostly superficial and relatively easy to repair.

Doors are made pretty well on the Daytonas and unlike the L-bodies, I almost never see a daytona with rust on the door edges. It's still a good idea to check them, but even if they are bad I've got about a dozen replacement doors sitting here if you need one (free if you come get it).

The hoods rarely rust on them as well, so not much to worry about there.

The rear hatches do get some rust in the lip, but they seem to be much more resistant to that than the other body styles.

Add this to the Knowledge center. You covered it all. Same spots in the H bodies also. Add the rear of the strut tower too. You can't see there unless you work the wiring harness up out of the way. there is a pocket that holds water till it rusts through.

Clay
11-09-2007, 02:10 PM
If Daytonas are rust magnets, does that make L-bodies rust 'black holes'???? ;)

BadAssPerformance
11-09-2007, 02:31 PM
The rust that rust magnets attract comes from L-bodies, LOL!

TurboRon25
11-09-2007, 02:48 PM
I've seen a lot of rusty hatch lips on 87 - 88s, but all of the 89 - 91s have been clean. Don't know why.

Ron

CDNTurboZ
11-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Behind the strut towers is bad too, usually that is because it spreads from the wheel well to the towers.....

Clay
11-10-2007, 02:15 PM
well, I bought the car. I couldnt find anything more than surface rust on the very bottom of the car, which suprised me, but the owner is super anal about it. Just needs a brake job and a pass. side window motor replaced.

BadAssPerformance
11-10-2007, 04:28 PM
:needpics1:

Clay
11-10-2007, 05:47 PM
I know, I know. Just wait until I pick it up. I didnt have a camera with me.

Here JT, Ill give you a visual........ take your car bone stock..... there you go! ;) well, maybe with a bit more paint fade, but thats pretty much it.

BadAssPerformance
11-11-2007, 01:44 AM
LOL, cool.. '87 or '88?

Clay
11-11-2007, 09:48 AM
87, like I said...... just like yours! ;)

and the car comes with some suprises! Owner said he replaced some parts and has another turbo and intake for the car. He said he had a hard time finding the parts, so Im hoping it may be a spare 2 piece. He also has a set of factory rims off another turbo car he bought years ago. They have little triangles in them...... but doesnt know what they are called..... Im hoping for some centurions. ;) All high hopes I know, but they were thrown in with the deal after the fact. Im going to try and pick it up this afternoon.

GLHSKEN
11-11-2007, 10:21 AM
well, I bought the car. I couldnt find anything more than surface rust on the very bottom of the car, which suprised me, but the owner is super anal about it. Just needs a brake job and a pass. side window motor replaced.

Are you sure it's the motor, Or just the tracked plastic tape the operates the window... $12 from any parts store. Theirs are plastic.. Dodge still had the tapes. A bit more expensive, but better quality. Takes 30 minutes to put in.

BadAssPerformance
11-11-2007, 10:37 AM
87, like I said...... just like yours! ;)

Sweet! '87 FTW!!!11!!1

and Daytonas are noutorious for having window issues.

Directconnection
11-11-2007, 10:49 AM
On P bodies and I assume all other bodies.... the #1 problem area that is structual is the crossmember bewteen the gastank and the spare tire well. This is the frame section that the gas tank straps bolt down to, and the panhard bar's bracket's reinforcement bolts to in the middle. Usually a big rusty/flakey spot will appear and rot through. I am tending to this area on my shadow, now.

Clay
11-11-2007, 12:40 PM
no clue on the window motor. Thats just what the guy said. Ill check it out more in the next few days.