PDA

View Full Version : Need quick advice - 4 to 5 bolt conversion on front hubs

Holley
02-15-2006, 06:59 AM
Here's the deal, I urgently need a new hub assembly on the Daytona (4 bolt), and I have two 5-bolt hub repair kits (hub, bearing and wot-not) that I got cheap for the GLHS.

Can I swap to 5-bolt on the front just by using these kits (plus the extra two studs and wheels from my parts bin), or is there something else that will complicate matters? (ie. size of the spline or bearing or something else I've not thought of). A 5-bolt conversion was on the eventual to-do list anyway :)

Any advice greatfully accepted!

tryingbe
02-15-2006, 10:00 AM
I was just gonna say go to junkyard grab everything you need, but then I notice you are in england...

Holley
02-15-2006, 10:31 AM
lol, thanks for the thought anyway ... I can just grab the hubs and try them, but if they don't fit I'll have lost a day or two as I'll have to work it around my job hours.

I'd have thought they would be the same ... I might try asking the place I got my bearings from if the Daytona and Charger 5-bolt hubs are the same part number ...

Oh yeah, just thought ... I'll have to pilfer the Charger's brake disks too, lol.

cordes
02-15-2006, 10:53 AM
I know the nuckle for the tona and charger are different. I thought that in some years the bearing size was different too, but I am not positive.

Holley
02-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Thats the sort of thing that I was thinking of ... also I know theres big and little splines on the driveshafts, but I'm not sure what came on what (just that all Chargers are small spline).

Anywho, a quick ebay search showed there's loads of 'E-class' 4-bolt hubs going cheap, so I can always get one there if all else fails ...

Holley
02-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Did a bit of digging on part numbers, the 4-bolt hub etc is the same part for all L and G body 4-bolt models, the 5-bolt is different :(

Found a supplier on ebay that would ship a 4-bolt cheaply, can't argue with $35 for the whole hub :)

cordes
02-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Did a bit of digging on part numbers, the 4-bolt hub etc is the same part for all L and G body 4-bolt models, the 5-bolt is different :(

Found a supplier on ebay that would ship a 4-bolt cheaply, can't argue with $35 for the whole hub :)

Yeah, that's what I thought. It stinks that you will have to wait on the part, but at least you have fond one for a reasonable price. Well, before shipping I guess.

bobr19
02-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Thats the sort of thing that I was thinking of ... also I know theres big and little splines on the driveshafts, but I'm not sure what came on what (just that all Chargers are small spline).

Anywho, a quick ebay search showed there's loads of 'E-class' 4-bolt hubs going cheap, so I can always get one there if all else fails ...
Holley--big and little splines on driveshaft refer to trans end only--the outside driveshaft spline same--same hub bearings [bearing assembly] bearings 88 and back to 83 [K car and L body]--4 lug will fit 5 lug frt. spindles and vice versa--bobr19

Holley
02-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Interesting ... wonder what the difference in the part numbers on the hub is for then ... Thanks guys :)

I will get it converted over to 5-bolt sometime, right now I just want to drive it, lol.

bobr19
02-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Interesting ... wonder what the difference in the part numbers on the hub is for then ... Thanks guys :)

I will get it converted over to 5-bolt sometime, right now I just want to drive it, lol.
The bearing is same size for both--difference in part # is the # of lugs--you can buy just the bearing by itself or the hub assembly--if old bearings are worn much get the assembly--inner race tends to spin on hub ruining it for futher use--bobr19