PDA

View Full Version : 86' TI lm in a 87' TI

envyyourethics
11-08-2007, 01:43 AM
My LM crapped out on on me recently and i have replaced it with a lm from a lancer es(86' on-board map, ect) but my car has the underhood map.

This was only a temp fix to get the car home, i thought it would go in to limp mode but it didn't.

It runs with both connected and no codes. Without the onboard connected it falls on its face like overboost at 3200k and takes a few seconds to accel again. With both it just cuts out at about 3k, not harsh just wont rev past 3k, unless it is a quick free rev. Not an issue as i wont go above this right now anyways as the car has a knock around 3500k. It does seem to be running lean though, but this is from a narrow band AF guage. Also, it boosts like a banshee. Grainger set at 10psi. Boost used to never even come on as i kept it below 3k due to the slight knock. Now it hits 5-6 by 2200 and full at about 2500 and pulls like crazy.

I am going to be doing a 2.5 TII swap soon due to the motor crapping out and wanted to know if it is okay to run in this condition, or if there is any remedy for the 3k cut. I'd hate to blow money on a 87 lm if im going tII in a month.

The only 87' lm's i have are 1 from TII shelby daytona, and 1 from a 2.5 TBI aries.

1FastCSX289
11-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Ive done the same thing in a pinch and suprisingly it does run well. In fact, When I bought 87 CSX #512, I was driving it for a month before I pulled the logic and realized someone put an 86 LM in there.

turbovanmanČ
11-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Is like swapping over to a 87 TII LM, if so, check this out-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13161

envyyourethics
11-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Simon, i went backwards. Under hood to a map on lm.

Only temporary though.

Going 2.5TII soon.:thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
11-08-2007, 11:27 PM
see my reply in TD.com. Not good to do that. The wiring is different.

envyyourethics
11-09-2007, 12:50 AM
ok just swapped in TII mod. and went for a test drive. idle was 3k So, swaped tI in, let the AIS get sucked in, Turned off, disconnected AIS, Put TII in, and it runs great. Drops right to 750 at idle, idles much smoother, still reads rich at WOT.

Low end got a nice little bump as well being that i drive below 3k to avoid the knock till it is fixed, this is really nice.

But, will i run into any issues with this setup? Running lean? What about the IAT? Wont the TII be looking for that?

Thanks GLHNSLHT2!

Turbodave
11-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Your TI (87) has an intake temps sensor already so that part shouldn't be an issue.