PDA

View Full Version : Head Noise

Dr.Evil
11-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Been getting progressivly worse, espically when its cold. Its the classic valve tick noise. Just wondering why I can hear it more when its cold, and what the fix it. I really don't want to rebuild the head if I don't have to. Poped the cam covers off and didn't notice any excessive play. Did notice some of them had that little plastic cap on the valve side of the rocker was loose/missing on some of them. What are those for btw? Anyway any help would be great.

Turbodave
11-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Usually it's just the lash adjuster inside the rocker arm. The dealer only sells the whole assy for big$$, but some of our vendors sell the lash adjusters by themselves.

Another thing to look for and a common TIII problem are worn cam lobes. If the cam lobe is worn beyond what the lash adjuster can compensate for it will make a ticking sound as well, plus it will be down on power since the valves aren't opening fully.

Dr.Evil
11-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Usually it's just the lash adjuster inside the rocker arm. The dealer only sells the whole assy for big$$, but some of our vendors sell the lash adjusters by themselves.

Another thing to look for and a common TIII problem are worn cam lobes. If the cam lobe is worn beyond what the lash adjuster can compensate for it will make a ticking sound as well, plus it will be down on power since the valves aren't opening fully.

Meaning the lash adjuster is worn and needs to be replaced or is out of adjustment and just needs to be dialed in again? Im assuming it needs to be replaced. Also, how would I figure out which one is out of spec? What's the procedure for measuring them to see if they are still good? Thanks.

Turbodave
11-06-2007, 05:56 PM
The lash adjusters are hydraulic, so adjustment on them. As far as figuring out which one is noisy, that's not easy. On my old R/T i ran it with the valve cover off and listened to each one with a mechanics stethoscope. I used cardboard to try and keep most of the oil in the head and did one bank at a time, but still made a mess. I found out about 7 of mine were noisy, so I replaced all 16 as a precaution.

turbovanmanČ
11-06-2007, 06:30 PM
What he said. Whats your oil pressure? it could be more so cold as the oil needs time to get to the lifters and bleed out the air.

Mine are noisey but can't afford the updated ones from Cindy yet.

The plastic caps are to hold the little swivel in place when removing the rocker arms. Without the caps, you need some grease and tons of patience putting the rocker arms/lifters back on the head, :censored:

Turbodave
11-06-2007, 06:34 PM
If it's only doing it when cold, the weight of oil your running may be a contributing factor. A thinner oil may flow better when cold and quiet them down.

turbovanmanČ
11-06-2007, 07:23 PM
If it's only doing it when cold, the weight of oil your running may be a contributing factor. A thinner oil may flow better when cold and quiet them down.

I am going to test that theory either tonight or sometime this week. I am using 15w40 Rotella to break it in but have some nice synthetic 5w40 oil in and see if my lifters shut up.

iTurbo
11-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Why the thicker oil Simon? I use Mobil 1 10-30 in my Spirit R/T, along with new INA lifters and regrind cams and all is quiet. I can easily hear the injectors and the noisy timing belt idler pulley that needs to be replaced.

turbovanmanČ
11-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Why the thicker oil Simon? I use Mobil 1 10-30 in my Spirit R/T, along with new INA lifters and regrind cams and all is quiet. I can easily hear the injectors and the noisy timing belt idler pulley that needs to be replaced.

Its dirt cheap, I buy it in the 20L pails, plus its got more goodies in it for breaking an engine in. I used to run it in the 8 valve engine with no problems.

Lotashelbys
11-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Sounds like you just have a few bad lifters(lash adjusters) I had this problem on a few cars and just swapped them out with some good used ones that I had laying around. The real trick is finding out which one it is. Took three tries to get the bad one on one car. Cindy sells the new gen 3 lifters separately if you only need one or two. Definatley the cheapest way to go if you dont need all of them:thumb: