PDA

View Full Version : For Sale suggestion...

zin
11-06-2007, 04:16 AM
Just wanted to throw a couple of suggestions out there, not being familiar with the underpinnings of how this forum works (on a technical basis), it may amount to wishful thinking, but here they are:

1st, It would be great it there was a way to allow sellers (those that started the thread in the FS section) to edit a FS thread in order to update the status of parts, especially helpful for those with a large list of parts. For example, the seller could update the prices and status (sold, price reduced, etc) in their 1st post, making it easier to see what is still up for sale and what the current price is. I for one feel this would be much more efficient than trying to scan the whole thread to see if the part you are interested in is still available. Or, in the case of cars, the seller could update the title to indicate that it is sold or no longer available. I realize that any post can be edited for a time, but my suggestion is to allow a much longer time, say up to a month for those in the FS section.

2nd, Require sellers to fill out a form that provides info buyers will want to know and sellers always seem to forget. Basically require them to fill in the location (state/zip), part description, price, condition, or whatever folks think is appropriate before they can post/submit a FS thread. This might be something that the members could suggest what fields would be most wanted in the form. I'm not suggesting a 5th degree kind of thing, just some basic info.

Anyway, that's my $.02, what does everyone else think? Most importantly, Frank, is this even doable?

Mike

turbovanmanČ
11-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Point #1- we dont' allow that due to possible fraud issues. IE the seller has a head for sale-lists it as perfect, blah blah blah, well after he sells it, he either remove its and then the buyer comes back saying, this head is crap, its nothing like you said it was. Now we have no proof as the seller has changed or deleted that post.

Point #2-thanks, we've been trying to get Frank to add that, maybe that will help, :thumb:

Mario
11-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Another forum I'm on, you can't even post a car for sale without filling out a "fill in the blank" form. Pretty sure it's the same software this forum uses. It's a nice template, makes it easier viewing the cars so you know what you're looking at.

zin
11-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Another forum I'm on, you can't even post a car for sale without filling out a "fill in the blank" form. Pretty sure it's the same software this forum uses. It's a nice template, makes it easier viewing the cars so you know what you're looking at.

Hopefully that's easy enough to implement, though it might be an extra cost add-on hence why it's not already in place. I'm sure Frank is not getting rich off this site, especially once you take all the time into consideration.

That said, I'll take whatever I can get, we can work on a way to prevent fraud on #1 at a later date, incremental improvements are still improvements!

Mike

Frank
11-06-2007, 09:41 PM
The #2 is an option, but requires a mod or other information I haven't pursued because of issues when upgrades happen later... things like those mods/hacks tend to break easily.

Frank

nmw2006
11-07-2007, 11:19 PM
I was just wondering the same thing about point #1.

There has to be some way to allow a seller to ADD information to a post, but not REMOVE information.

Possibly add to the end of the post?

Thanks for any possible solutions to this problem in advance.

sdac guy
11-11-2007, 04:00 PM
For point #1 ...

What is wrong with the seller just copying his original post (ctrl-c), pasting it into a new message, and updating the info as needed? Or he could even use the Quote button, and then above or below the quoted original post he can list the updates.

That way the original post is kept as is for thread history, and the updated info gets added at the thread end (which is where folks will reply anyhow). This would have the added benefit that those interested in buying some of the parts would not need to search the entire thread to see what has been sold.

The only drawback is that many folks won't ever post an updated parts list message, but those are probably the same folks that would never edit their first post anyhow.

Barry

GLHSKEN
11-11-2007, 04:16 PM
^^^^ exactly... quote your own post and edit it...

zin
11-12-2007, 03:37 PM
^^^^ exactly... quote your own post and edit it...

That seems to be what many folks are doing, and it works as well as can be, the problem, minor though it may be, is that this post can end-up buried if in a multi-page post. If one could check the 1st post for what is still available and the current prices (even if it was just an addition to the original post) would be very helpful, IMHO.

Mike

88_pacifica
11-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Actually, the only thing I would ask is not necessarily just relegated to parts for sale only....

Is it possible to just eliminate old, outdated, and irrelevent threads(i.e parts from '05)? Is there a reason to maintain every posted thread if it's no longer relevent/applicable? Not a big deal at all I was just wondering if it's for archival records and not worth doing. It would possibly free up some server space right?

Frank
11-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Space is not an issue and we don't prune threads.

This is not something we are pursing at this time.

BoostedL
11-20-2007, 11:00 AM
You don't need to prune but archive would eliminate the info from active viewing. Then default the search engine for 30 days with option to look further into the past.