PDA

View Full Version : plugging oil hole

WOP'R
11-05-2007, 02:14 AM
is this the oil hole that everyone talks about when plugging THE oil hole?
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/WOP_R/head2.jpg (pressure fitting hole on the left)

turbovanmanČ
11-05-2007, 04:16 AM
Are you talking about the balance shaft hole? Thats on the bottom, you don't plug any hole on the block deck surface or cylinder head.

Lotashelbys
11-05-2007, 04:31 AM
^ Clueless:D

Yes thats the hole that we are talking about. You only really need to plug it when you run a composite HG though. If you are gonna run a Cometic then I wouldnt worry about it. If you get it welded up make sure whoever does it only welds down into the head about a 1/4" Alan will tell you why:D

turbovanmanČ
11-05-2007, 04:51 AM

Yes thats the hole that we are talking about. You only really need to plug it when you run a composite HG though. If you are gonna run a Cometic then I wouldnt worry about it. If you get it welded up make sure whoever does it only welds down into the head about a 1/4" Alan will tell you why:D

Fine, lol!

I'd figure the luck he has, leave it alone, trust me on that one. :thumb:

Lotashelbys
11-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Ok,remember I still love you though:D

turbovanmanČ
11-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Ok,remember I still love you though:D

Yeah, I know, :love:

WOP'R
11-05-2007, 01:24 PM
...you two are starting to scare me:confused:

thanks for the info. Lookn at the hole i thought it was harmless and since ill be running a cometic i wont take a chance:thumb:

86Shelby
11-05-2007, 11:52 PM
^^^ That's the way I see it. If it's not leaking I'll leave it be.

WOP'R
11-05-2007, 11:56 PM
well i did have a coolant leak at the back of the head in that corner

zin
11-06-2007, 03:02 AM

Yes thats the hole that we are talking about. You only really need to plug it when you run a composite HG though. If you are gonna run a Cometic then I wouldn't worry about it. If you get it welded up make sure whoever does it only welds down into the head about a 1/4" Alan will tell you why:D

Guess I'm the really clueless one here!:o Could someone please buy me one in regards to why we would need to consider blocking an oil hole on a TIII head?

Thanks!

Mike

turbovanmanČ
11-06-2007, 03:13 AM
Guess I'm the really clueless one here!:o Could someone please buy me one in regards to why we would need to consider blocking an oil hole on a TIII head?

Thanks!

Mike

They have a little cup plug, IE frost plug and some people have had issues with them leaking-so they weld it up or install a screw in type plug. I got Cindy's kit and it came with all new ones, which my machine shop installed. So far, no leaks, yay, :clap:

bansheenut420
11-06-2007, 10:50 AM
The :love: in this thread is strong! lol And Jackson, right as always. :thumb:

Lotashelbys
11-06-2007, 10:53 AM
I like to get mine welded up just before I have the head machined. But anyways,Those that run a stock composite HG have had alot of problems with this plug because its right in between the corner headbolt hole and the edge of the HG. Therefore it likes to leak coolant out of that corner of the head. Chrylser battled with this problem for a few years eating warranty claims from customers comlaining about them leaking coolant out of that corner and they finally figured out that they had to do something with that hole. So,those running a composite HG should plug that hole someway other than the way it was done stock. Others that run a Cometic,being a multi-layer steel really dont have to worry about it because that HG is steel and wont really"crush"and start to leak because of it. Hope this helps:thumb:

zin
11-06-2007, 06:19 PM
I like to get mine welded up just before I have the head machined. But anyways,Those that run a stock composite HG have had alot of problems with this plug because its right in between the corner headbolt hole and the edge of the HG. Therefore it likes to leak coolant out of that corner of the head. Chrysler battled with this problem for a few years eating warranty claims from customers complaining about them leaking coolant out of that corner and they finally figured out that they had to do something with that hole. So,those running a composite HG should plug that hole someway other than the way it was done stock. Others that run a Cometic,being a multi-layer steel really don't have to worry about it because that HG is steel and wont really"crush"and start to leak because of it. Hope this helps:thumb:

I guess I've dodged (no pun intended) that bullet, mine's supposed to have the MLS gasket already. :clap: Thanks for the info!

Mike

iTurbo
11-11-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm leaking oil from that corner of the head. Could that plug be the problem? I can't see anywhere else it could be coming from.

Lotashelbys
11-11-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm leaking oil from that corner of the head. Could that plug be the problem? I can't see anywhere else it could be coming from.

I would guess I has something to do with it. Usually coolant leaks from there tho....