PDA

View Full Version : question for yah all regarding fuel pump

entity
11-04-2007, 05:27 PM
i'm thinking of picking up a second 85 fith ave. I have one i'm driving now, and this one has supposedly blowing out.. so he says the fuel pump. there mechanical this is a 318 2 barrel, it has the lean burn b.s. on it, timing chain, lean burn computer, carb, and much more has been replaced. they say it will fire, spit sputter, and blow out pumps? what do you think? Thanks. :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
11-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Sorry, lost on what you mean by "blowing out the pump"

Those mechanical pumps last forever, literally, lol!

entity
11-04-2007, 10:17 PM
the guy says it will work with a new pump then quit.. he thinks it's cam related, which i don't think so, with only 58k on it.

jre97
11-05-2007, 01:07 AM
If it's that old with that low of mileage it has probably set for a while. I would clean the carb really well and verify that the timing chain was installed correctly. I doubt the fuel pump is the issue but an easy way to test it would be to take the fuel line off the carb, run it in a bucket or something, and crank it over to see if it squirts gas.

Birddog
11-05-2007, 02:09 AM
Lean Burn??? UGH!

There's a lot of troubleshooting to be done there... Did PO rebuild the carb? And is the "ECM" working properly?
Blowing out fuel pumps seems a bit strange. What does it do when it sputters?? Backfire through the carb?

entity
11-05-2007, 11:50 AM
i'm gathering info as we speak with the guy, all of that has been replaced new so to speak, i'm deff, thinking timing chain was installed wrong. if a worn lobe in the cam was the problem, it would have to be definatly worn out and then the pump would not work at all, but, i would have to see what the old arm on the bad pumps look like. when i asked him about the pumps, he said they quit working. hmmm. the first thing i do to these cars, is get a whole new ignition set up first, deleting the lean burn, and go with an intake and carb set up. the carb is a reman unit.

turbovanmanČ
11-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Obviously you need to verify whats going on, IE loosing spark or fuel. If fuel, it could be the fuel filter or intank filters are plugged.