PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Sizes?

The S is Silent
02-14-2006, 01:24 PM
A friend of mine blew the Mitsu 14B that was on his civic, and I was wondering how the TE04H compared in size. He needs a replacement, and cheap is good for him right now. I think it'll even be too small for him, but I want to make sure before suggesting (or not suggesting) it to him.

Frank
02-14-2006, 01:50 PM
I would suggest a T3 Super 60 with a StageII turbine. It would be more of a good street turbo with fast spool up and good mid to decent top range power. You could go for a T3/T4 40trim or 46trim depending on how heafty you want to get. If he wants a GT series turbo, then a GT28R 71mm turbo would be the better good selection like the S60 or 40trim listed above.

Frank

The S is Silent
02-14-2006, 01:57 PM
I would suggest a T3 Super 60 with a StageII turbine. It would be more of a good street turbo with fast spool up and good mid to decent top range power. You could go for a T3/T4 40trim or 46trim depending on how heafty you want to get. If he wants a GT series turbo, then a GT28R 71mm turbo would be the better good selection like the S60 or 40trim listed above.

Frank

Lol...I was wondering how long it would take you to find this. He says the GT turbo is out...he just doesn't have the cash for it unless he can find somebody to sponsor it. Spool-up is less of a problem, because he has a supercharge helping the little 1.8 keep up with the turbo...but from your suggestions, I can see that the mitsu is too small for what he is working with.

Thanks Frank.

Frank
02-14-2006, 02:06 PM
Supercharger also? Huh? Care to give more details about this car? Sounds interesting.

The S is Silent
02-14-2006, 02:34 PM
I'll see if I can get some pics of it at the next autocross, because I don't think he has anything posted.

It's a 96ish civic with a 1.8L engine. Roots supercharger boosting to 10 psi. When turbo gets up to speed, a bypass opens and lets the turbo blow directly into the plenum. The supercharger just dead spins at that point. Air/water intercooler cools only the turbo charge. He had a 14B on it, but that was WAY small, so now he's going with a 16G "EVO III GT" turbo. It was disghustingly fast when I saw it this weekend, and it looks like it's only going to get faster.

Frank
02-14-2006, 02:40 PM
If that is the case, then I recommend the 40trim T3/T4 turbo. The S60 would be too small. Sounds pretty sweet. However on the same note the 16G might be just as close to a 40trim and would probably require less work to mate it up.

If he goes 16G, then the EVO version is the better choise of the different versions out there. Ask him about his testing on why he chose 10psi. I am curious to see what the 16G and several different boost transitions does to his times, etc.

Frank

The S is Silent
02-14-2006, 02:46 PM
If that is the case, then I recommend the 40trim T3/T4 turbo. The S60 would be too small. Sounds pretty sweet. However on the same note the 16G might be just as close to a 40trim and would probably require less work to mate it up.

If he goes 16G, then the EVO version is the better choise of the different versions out there. Ask him about his testing on why he chose 10psi. I am curious to see what the 16G and several different boost transitions does to his times, etc.

Frank

He chose the 16G because it is a direct bolt-in for the manifold he's using. The 40trim T4 compressor has been suggested, but it was shot down due to space limitations. I'll see what I can get out of him for you.