PDA

View Full Version : 12 deg BTDC or 15 deg BTDC?

cs daytona
10-31-2007, 11:21 PM
whats the benefits of retading the base timing. i just saw it on the FM website. thanks

travis

turbovanmanČ
10-31-2007, 11:28 PM
Not sure what you mean, :confused:

12 deg is the stock spec and if you put it to 15 deg, your advancing it which if your not running more octane, it will ping badly and eventually, go boom.

BTDC means Before Top Dead Center, so they want the spark to happen before TDC, hence the larger number. If we had it happen at TDC, then the burn wouldn't have much time before the piston started to move back down, losing power. If we ignite the fuel earlier, to a point, then the burn has time to use all the fuel in the chamber to push the piston down. Make sense?

cs daytona
11-01-2007, 07:32 AM
yea my bad, i knew that i was just testing you lol. i had a brain fart. so as far as the base timing, wouldnt the computer compensate for it? just wondering how the car would act and why FM said to do it?

travis

mario03SRT
11-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Cs,

What reference to FM are you referring to? Timing can be raised but usually in only certain circumstances. Like , colder plugs, higher octane, air fuel ratio, boost levels, air intake temps, Water/alky system :) etc.

I'm pretty certain that on a stock factory tune which are usually convservative with respect to richness and total timing, that the timing can be increased 2 degrees or so for some more low end power in particular. OR leave it alone and add a couple pounds of boost instead. It's all relative.:thumb:

FYI,
Marion

cs daytona
11-01-2007, 11:45 AM
a little down the page for the t2, stage 1 says to reset timing to 15 btdc. aside from a mp ecu, theres nothing out of the ordinary besides tuneup stuff and a pulley. i was just curious why that was there and the benefits? thanks

travis

lametec
11-01-2007, 12:11 PM
so as far as the base timing, wouldnt the computer compensate for it?

No. The computer has no idea what the base timing is. The computer adds to or subtracts from the base timing without having a clue wether the base is at 12° or 15°.

mario03SRT
11-01-2007, 12:19 PM
a little down the page for the t2, stage 1 says to reset timing to 15 btdc. aside from a mp ecu, theres nothing out of the ordinary besides tuneup stuff and a pulley. i was just curious why that was there and the benefits? thanks

travis

3 degrees of timing will give the car a noticeable kick.

turbovanmanČ
11-01-2007, 12:21 PM
yea my bad, i knew that i was just testing you lol. i had a brain fart. so as far as the base timing, wouldnt the computer compensate for it? just wondering how the car would act and why FM said to do it?

travis

Some engines like more timing, IE poor combustion chamber design, poor intakes etc so a rule of thumb is you try a bit more timing. If it gets peppier, try a bit more, but if you go to far, it will detonate and then you'll have some ashtrays.

If your running premium, then give it a few more degree's and listen for knock, if your not running premium, leave it at stock.

cs daytona
11-01-2007, 01:28 PM
my best gas mileage is from premium so thats all i ever use. that wont be a problem. thanks for clearing things up guys.

travis