PDA

View Full Version : Distributor side of plug wires are always loose

Clay
10-31-2007, 02:36 PM
Was messing with the GLHT last night, and Ive always noticed that end of the plug wires that plug into the distributor cap are always loose.

Besides the complete redesigned setup, is there a way to make these so they just dont fall out when you brush against them with your hand??????

Turbodave
10-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Clay, if it's a stock style distributor those wires should clip into it and never let go. I have seen them come loose if they aren't inserted fully. I usually push them in by hand and then use a needle nose pliers on the inside of the cap to pull them into the locked position.

Clay
10-31-2007, 03:06 PM
ok, Ill have to try that then. Ive pushed and pushed and never had them lock in on this car for some reason. Maybe I need to try and pull them through.

Turbodave
10-31-2007, 03:18 PM
Sometimes the thicker aftermarket wires take a little more persuasion.

JDAWG
10-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Clay, if it's a stock style distributor those wires should clip into it and never let go. I have seen them come loose if they aren't inserted fully. I usually push them in by hand and then use a needle nose pliers on the inside of the cap to pull them into the locked position.

thats how I do it too, also you could try bubble gum

Clay
10-31-2007, 03:44 PM
'its time ti kick arse and chew bubble gum. Im all out of bubble gum.'

JDAWG
10-31-2007, 03:54 PM
super glue them suckers on there!

SwiftTech
10-31-2007, 03:59 PM
sometimes the two tangs don't snap in place too, even though the terminal is all the way in, so carefully spread them apart to make sure they grab and lock nicely.

turbovanmanČ
10-31-2007, 04:26 PM
I always put the wires on with the cap off, that way you can tell if there fully seated. Then I take a flat blade screwdriver and insert it between the tangs and push them apart.

Its also probably the cheap wires your using, :eyebrows:

Clay
10-31-2007, 04:34 PM
sure thing simo.

magnacores aint cheapo.

turbovanmanČ
10-31-2007, 04:36 PM
sure thing simo.

magnacores aint cheapo.

Sure they are, :thumb:

Turbodave
10-31-2007, 04:39 PM
magnacores aint cheapo.

Are you using 8.5mm or 10mm Magnecores?

You should ditch them for some of Simons oldsmobile wires :D .

rbryant
10-31-2007, 08:47 PM
sure thing simo.

magnacores aint cheapo.

Magnecores aren't cheap and aren't good compared to some of the other options we have. ;)

Not that they would cause this problem but there are other choices that are better. I agree with Simon install them with the cap off and make sure they click in. You can also slide the boot upward on the wires so that you can push directly on the metal part of the spade terminal with a screwdriver to get it to snap in. Don't pull on them from the bottom or with pliers or push on the wires too much or you might mess them up.

-Rich

rbryant
10-31-2007, 08:57 PM
Are you using 8.5mm or 10mm Magnecores?

You should ditch them for some of Simons oldsmobile wires :D .

Does magnecor even make a 10mm wires for our cars?

If they do it would have to be stripped way back to fit since the 8.5mm MSD wires are a VERY tight fit with the stock terminals.

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
10-31-2007, 11:24 PM
Does magnecor even make a 10mm wires for our cars?

If they do it would have to be stripped way back to fit since the 8.5mm MSD wires are a VERY tight fit with the stock terminals.

-Rich

Yeah, they do. I wonder if they just do the common larger jacket theme while keeping the conductor wire the same? :confused:

rbryant
10-31-2007, 11:44 PM
Yeah, they do. I wonder if they just do the common larger jacket theme while keeping the conductor wire the same? :confused:

I just checked the spec sheet and they list the same conductor for both the KV85 and R-100 wires..

They seem to only make their R-100 wires for the TIII and neon engines though. If not impossible it would be a waste on the stock 2.2 dist since there just isn't room for it even if you drilled it out. That means they would have to be stripped way back and wouldn't use the outer sleeve near the cap anyway.

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
11-01-2007, 02:09 AM
I just checked the spec sheet and they list the same conductor for both the KV85 and R-100 wires..

They seem to only make their R-100 wires for the TIII and neon engines though. If not impossible it would be a waste on the stock 2.2 dist since there just isn't room for it even if you drilled it out. That means they would have to be stripped way back and wouldn't use the outer sleeve near the cap anyway.

-Rich

So I don't understand paying more money for more jacket and the same performance? thats like paying for a 3 inch system but only getting a 2.5 inch system with a 3 inch outer shell? :confused:

rbryant
11-01-2007, 03:34 AM
So I don't understand paying more money for more jacket and the same performance? thats like paying for a 3 inch system but only getting a 2.5 inch system with a 3 inch outer shell? :confused:

Hehe I don't understand paying magnecor prices for a high resistance wire. I guess that is another issue all together though...

Anyway... Both the Aurora and MSD wires are far superior to Magnecor so there is no reason to buy either type of magnecor wire for our cars.

We should lay off though since this wasn't the topic at hand anyway. Hopefully no one is annoyed at the tangent the thread took.

-Rich

turbovanmanČ
11-01-2007, 03:47 AM
Hehe I don't understand paying magnecor prices for a high resistance wire. I guess that is another issue all together though...

Anyway... Both the Aurora and MSD wires are far superior to Magnecor so there is no reason to buy either type of magnecor wire for our cars.

We should lay off though since this wasn't the topic at hand anyway. Hopefully no one is annoyed at the tangent the thread took.

-Rich

This is the TM way, topics always go south, lol! :clap:

:amen: on MSD or Aurora.

looneytuner
11-01-2007, 09:29 AM

:D :eyebrows: :evil:
I can't resist.......

That would eliminate the drone in your van:thumb: