PDA

View Full Version : 2.4L mexican turbo

Aries_Turbo
10-29-2007, 10:51 PM
anyone know what ecu the 2.4L mexican turbo cars used? sbec-2? the obd2 stuff? i was just curious how bad it would be to get ahold of one of these to see what the stock knock sensor threshold would be and if the sensing circuit is vastly different or near to the same as what we have.

i know its a long shot but its worth a try.

Brian

ShelGame
10-30-2007, 07:53 AM
That's a good idea...

turbovanmanČ
10-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Thats a great idea, :clap:

While your getting one, grab me a 4 speed auto case, :eyebrows:

contraption22
10-30-2007, 05:07 PM
95-99 cars use a system which I beleive to be called SBEC III.

inmyshadow
10-30-2007, 06:28 PM
I'd be interested in this, more on the side of running my neon once I get around adding a turbo to my 2.4.

I wonder if there is some chrysler cd out there with the necessary files on it?

I tired this the other day with MP computers. I have an in at a local dealership. It would be nice to flash a regular computer to MP computer.

later

ShelGame
10-30-2007, 08:41 PM
I have a '95 neon computer (and all of the '95 Neon .bins). It definitely is flashable. But, it uses a different processor from the earlier computers (well, it uses a 6811 also, not sure for what).

Aries_Turbo
10-30-2007, 10:02 PM
95-99 cars use a system which I beleive to be called SBEC III.

in know that the usdm ones did but i wonder if the mexican stuff used the same model of computers or if they used the older stuff.

I asked for a few reasons... the 2.4 swap is always in my mind and i would run it on the stock older electronics. the stock 2.4L knock sensor is darn near the same as our 2.2/2.5L ones (different thread into the block) but its in a different location so the voltage values are going to be different and without some serious datalogging capabilities its going to be darn near impossible to generate that curve of knock voltage that the factory produced. i have a few ideas to datalog and generate another table but its difficult.

i also have a friend that is building a 97 eclipse and he will be swapping to a 2.4L soon and is using megasquirt so some stock values would help him in his endevour.

the factory na ecu on the neon and i think the eclipse actually allows some audible pinging so i know i cant trust the values in those ecus as an actual knock threshold.

i dont have all the resources or the knowledge to complete this next idea but it is a good idea for those in the neon and 2gnt camp.... once finding the factory knock values for the 2.4L, recreate the older knock circuit using an external microprocessor. the factory used a transistor to buffer the output of the sensor which then charged a capacitor for the a/d convertor to read after the igntion event. the knock signature happens really fast so the capacitor makes it easy to read the signal. at the next ignition event the transistor is cleared to ground and the process starts again.

Brian

ShelGame
10-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Actually, I think I found the knock sensor table in the Neon code. Can't be 100% sure at this point. But, it's the only one that looks "right" for a knock sensor table. It's tough becuase the Neon doesn't use a 6811 (well it does, but only as an aux controller - bus controller? :shrug: the main processor is a 6812), so my dis-assembler doesn't fully dis-assemble it. I have a 6812 dis-assmbler, but I'm not sure how to use it correctly.

Turbodave
10-31-2007, 09:36 AM
Rob, I've got a few spare 95 Neon (SOHC mtx) computers, think you would be able to disable the EGR in one and the corresponding check engine light? My 95 has an 02 motor in it and no EGR system, the electrical side is still hooked up but the CEL is still on intermittently when the computer doesn't see a mixture change after actuating the EGR.

The MP and some other computers get rid of the EGR check, but require premium fuel. Since it's just my get to work beater I prefer to run the cheapest gas money can buy.

SebringLX
10-31-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure about the 1st gen 2.4L turbo cloud cars in Mexico, but I do know that the 2nd Gen ones use the NGC1 PCM for 2003, and started switching to NGC3 in 2004, just like the US non-turbo versions. I have pulled up the Mexican Stratus 2.4L Turbo PCM code in my SCT software. I'm going to reflash my PCM with it and make adjustments for 3 bar MAP and TIP by using an SRT-4 Stage 2 PCM code as reference.

I would assume that the 1st gen, and 2001-2002 2nd gens use the same PCMs in Mexico that we have here in the US too. Difference between them is just a few parameters.

Interesting bit of info here... all NGC PCMs have tables in them for a turbo, even if it's on a car that has no turbo option. The table just isn't used.

ShelGame
10-31-2007, 10:44 AM
Rob, I've got a few spare 95 Neon (SOHC mtx) computers, think you would be able to disable the EGR in one and the corresponding check engine light? My 95 has an 02 motor in it and no EGR system, the electrical side is still hooked up but the CEL is still on intermittently when the computer doesn't see a mixture change after actuating the EGR.

The MP and some other computers get rid of the EGR check, but require premium fuel. Since it's just my get to work beater I prefer to run the cheapest gas money can buy.

Not right now. I don't have a good enough Neon source to look at yet.

turbovanmanČ
10-31-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure about the 1st gen 2.4L turbo cloud cars in Mexico, but I do know that the 2nd Gen ones use the NGC1 PCM for 2003, and started switching to NGC3 in 2004, just like the US non-turbo versions. I have pulled up the Mexican Stratus 2.4L Turbo PCM code in my SCT software. I'm going to reflash my PCM with it and make adjustments for 3 bar MAP and TIP by using an SRT-4 Stage 2 PCM code as reference.

I would assume that the 1st gen, and 2001-2002 2nd gens use the same PCMs in Mexico that we have here in the US too. Difference between them is just a few parameters.

Interesting bit of info here... all NGC PCMs have tables in them for a turbo, even if it's on a car that has no turbo option. The table just isn't used.

Thats pretty cool right there, you could help alot of people with your car and setup, :thumb:

Aries_Turbo
11-02-2007, 10:04 PM
I have pulled up the Mexican Stratus 2.4L Turbo PCM code in my SCT software.

can you do me a huge favor????

can you search for a table that compares knock voltage to rpm if there is one?

we have that table in our computer to determine when there is knock vs rpm.... as rpm increases, the background noise increases too and there has to be a different threshold as the RPMs rise that indicates knock. i would love to get my hands on a table for a factory 2.4L. thats one of the things that is preventing me from running a 2.4L on a stock computer.

thanks

Brian

SebringLX
11-03-2007, 09:33 AM
can you do me a huge favor????

can you search for a table that compares knock voltage to rpm if there is one?

we have that table in our computer to determine when there is knock vs rpm.... as rpm increases, the background noise increases too and there has to be a different threshold as the RPMs rise that indicates knock. i would love to get my hands on a table for a factory 2.4L. thats one of the things that is preventing me from running a 2.4L on a stock computer.

thanks

Brian

I have looked at the knock threshold tables, I know they are there. PM me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you some screen shots of the tables.
What vehicle do you want it off of? I can pull up almost any 2004+ Dodge/Chrysler vehicle.

Aries_Turbo
11-03-2007, 11:26 AM
ok will do.

Brian

Speedeuphoria
11-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Hey Brian let us know what it looks like

Vigo
11-03-2007, 01:22 PM
ahh the smell of progress. :)