PDA

View Full Version : strange noise from drivetrain.

tryingbe
02-14-2006, 02:07 AM
I have this roar noise coming from the front engine when i'm moving down the road. It's coming somewhere from tranny/engine but I can't figure out where. It sounds like rotating roar, and as the engine rev goes higher, the noise also sounds like it's moving faster. The noise is becoming bad to worse.

The only time it makes noise is when I'm moving in any gear, clutch not pressed in.
If I rev the engine in netural, no noise.
If I'm moving with the car in gear and press on the clutch, no noise
If I'm in netural and moving, no noise.
No slip on the clutch.

So, is it possible to diganosis the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate without taking the tranny off?

My car is 89 Daytona Shelby, Manual.

My friend said it could be the throw-out bearing.

afsautoworx
02-14-2006, 02:49 AM
it might be throw out bearing but i doubt it. If it was it would make noise when u had the clutch pushed in.

turbovanmanČ
02-14-2006, 04:59 AM
Sounds like one of bearings inside the tranny is going, can't pinpoint which one as I can't figure it out, lol!

cordes
02-14-2006, 11:17 AM
I would check for worn motor mounts and choppy tires up front also.

Frank
02-14-2006, 11:30 AM
I will let someone tweak my reasoning, but here goes...

If bad bearings in the tranny, it would be as follows.... Input bearings would be noise at reving out of gear. If intermeddiate shaft and diff bearings, it would be noisy while coasting down the road. So tranny bearings are out. I doubt its the throwout bearing per reason listed above.

Maybe motor mounts riding - metal on metal as when in gear, the engine twists.

Frank

turbovanmanČ
02-14-2006, 01:34 PM
He gets noise moving in gear, so to me, that is a tranny bearing but then, if he puts the clutch in, it goes away etc. It could be the input bearing going but it needs a load to made noise????????

bn880
02-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Well, then there is a longshot of a bent/cracked flywheel, but it would make some noise in neutral too.... most likely.

As far as I know, something with the tranny is going, or it's jsut a vibration carried from engine mounts.

tryingbe
02-14-2006, 03:21 PM
At the last signal light that I have to stop for before I get to my work's parking lot, tranny wouldn't let me shift into first gear. I had to put it in second to get it going. Guess I'll have to tow it to my friend's house when I get off work this afternoon.

Good thing I have a spare tranny and new clutch ready. I'll update what I'll find out later. It's a stock A555 with stock bearing plate, but we'll see.

jre97
02-14-2006, 08:50 PM
My a555 made what sounds to me to be the same noise but just when I was moving. The differential bearings went bad, I found out because it got real bad ant threw one of the rollers into the seal and slightly popped the axle out. i just ordered the bearings and seals from rockauto.com and it cost me about $30 shipped and a local machine shop priced me $30 to press on the new bearings and outer races. I already took the diff. out of the tranny,the plate on the drivers side that holds the outer race and the vehicle speed sendor housing on the passenger side that holds the other outer race. strangely enought the tranny is out of an 89 daytona shelby. You might check the oil in the transmission if it's not that bad, but chances are if it's loud the damage is done and i would see about repairing them before the bearing comes clear apart like mine did and mabe tears up the gears.

tryingbe
02-16-2006, 02:03 AM
Took the tranny off tonight. Looks like the A555 is busted. Will update more later.

cordes
02-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Took the tranny off tonight. Looks like the A555 is busted. Will update more later.

Well, at least you have a spare on hand. Good luck.

tryingbe
02-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Yeah, well. No more spare.

tryingbe
02-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Tranny pics are here.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22755