PDA

View Full Version : welding the spider gears?

shelbyplaya
02-14-2006, 01:46 AM
ok, so i'm cheap. i was wondering if welding my spider gears would help any. i've alredy got my battery relocated and the drives side of the sway bar shimmed about 1/4 inch. i'm hooking up alright, like it's not bad for street use.

but would welding my spider gears help out at all?

i'm also gonna copy and paste this on the other site as well!:thumb:

thanks guys

Boogieman142
02-14-2006, 02:00 AM
yeah, i seen it on the other site too. My .02 don't do it, you will break axles and the wheel will yank outta your hand.

shelbyplaya
02-14-2006, 02:41 AM
i love how we both just copy and pasted

turbovanmanČ
02-14-2006, 04:53 AM
No, it will be dangerous.

Boogieman142
02-15-2006, 02:08 AM
i love how we both just copy and pasted

Isn't that neat, it works good!!!! saves typing it twice!!!:lol:

Turbo Joe
02-16-2006, 10:51 PM
for drag only it would be a cheap way out but not recomended. However,
for street use that is a huge no no. you will with out a doubt break something in the driveline if you don't have an accident first cause you will not be able to handle or turn good at all. not for the street!!!!

Turbodave
02-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Welded spider gears have always worked well on my Demo-Derby cars, but there the whole point is to crash into things. Unless you never turn or are always in 6" of mud I wouldn't recomend it for a street driven car.

Dave
02-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Maybe I have down-syndrome towards spyder gears, but aren't all 4 of them supposed to spin on turn of each other one? So are you welding them to the case, or jointly? I just don't understand how it would even roll forward or backwards if the gears were locked up.

turbovanmanČ
02-19-2006, 04:35 PM
When you turn, the spider gears rotate on there axis to let the axles turn at different speeds but in a perfect world, if in a straight line, the power goes thru the carrier and into the axles. This is a rare phenominon, lol, hence spools, lockers etc. You would weld them to each other and possibly the case for extra strength. Your going to go in a straight line but turning will be next to impossible because now, the tire can't slip and is scrubbing instead of going faster or slower. On the street, this is dangerous and I think most drag clubs outlaw welded diffs, NHRA does per SMP.

Turbodave
02-19-2006, 05:25 PM
I used to love running big C-body mopars with 9 1/4 rearends in demo derby becuase I could just pull the rear cover, clamp my ground onto the diff and weld those gears up solid. Polish Posi was the term I've always heard for it. Works great in the mud. On a paved parking lot those cars would hop and squeal and bark trying to turn a corner, and they were RWD, I could only imagine how bad it would be in a FWD car. The other concern would be balance of the diff assy, throwing a bunch of weld on it would probably set if off balance and make for some interesting vibrations in a high speed vehicle.