PDA

View Full Version : Fixing windshield stone chip.....

Stevien1
10-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Has anyone sucessfully fixed a stone chip in a windshield with the Permatex kit? I've tried twice now and the resin will not cure. The directions say to park it in the sunlight for 30min and it should harden up. Today I left the car in direct sunlight for 2 hours and it didn't harden one damn bit! :banghead: Any suggestions? I was thinking of trying a UV light, but I don't know if the light I have is the same type of UV it needs to cure?

looneytuner
10-28-2007, 05:45 PM
It's too cold in Mi for it to work till next summer. Do it in a heated garage with a light bulb on it. I also do the same with JB Weld, and any two part resin stuff.

BTW the plastic sheet you put over it has the activator for the liquid. It's a resin mix that sets up with heat.

turbovanman²
10-28-2007, 05:49 PM
It has to be warm outside. I've used them in the summer time and they worked well, never tried in the winter but could imagine it won't cure.

Stevien1
10-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Does it cure with just heat or does it need UV rays? It was 55 and sunny this afternoon when it didn't work.

looneytuner
10-29-2007, 09:12 AM
Heat no UV

MopàrBCN
10-29-2007, 09:55 AM
One thing to keep in mind is, that it has to be absolutely dry. If there is moisture of any kind inside the damaged area it won't work. Hope I could help!

turbovanman²
10-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Does it cure with just heat or does it need UV rays? It was 55 and sunny this afternoon when it didn't work.

I did mine outside in the sun. I followed the directions to the letter. Seemed to work.

Now on the other hand, I've used the rear inside mirror adhesive kit numberous times but the last 2 kits, I couldn't get the :censored: mirror to stay up, :(

Ondonti
10-30-2007, 02:00 AM
wont midas fix your rear view mirror for free? :P