PDA

View Full Version : Too scrap a 1989 Daytona Shelby or Not to scrap? I need info!

Gearjamer
10-28-2007, 03:13 AM
Here is the story. Back in January I bought a 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2.5 T1 auto. It has 177k on the clock. I believe it was the theft recovery car. That's the story from the seller. They got it from a friend that bought it at an auction. So they had no Title. The previous owners were trying to fix it. They put a new turbo on it and some other sensors. But it never ran right. So they gave up and sold it to me for 600.00 . The body is stright and the interior is very good for 177k but the digital dash has some gremlins.

I get it home and find out that someone has put in a 2.2 N/A motor and bolted all the 2.5 T1 stuff to it so the computer is freaked out. I locate another T1 motor and auto trans out of a '89 Shadow ES. I rebuild the top end and put it in the car. It runs great! I now want to register it but have lost the file with all the bills of sale. I talk to DMV and find out that the car had a lien on the title but was listed as a total lost. So to get the title I HAVE TO HAVE A BILL OF SALE. No filling for lost title. So I found and bought a 1990 Dodge Daytona ES with 104k, a blown 2.5 T1 auto, and a Title for 200.00. The ES needs a little body work but has a sun roof and very nice interior (loaded).

My delema, Should I do a vin swap which would make the Shelby not a Shelby. Or just swap over ALL the good stuff from the shelby to the ES. What components on the Shelby should I look for to swap over? Dose someone know where I can find out what special stuff the Shelby had, like brakes and suspension.

Thanks,
Bill

supercrackerbox
10-28-2007, 03:51 AM
I'd swap the good parts over to the ES. The Daytonas were not Whittier cars, just top end Dodges.

Gearjamer
10-28-2007, 05:11 AM
OK thanks, But what makes a Whittier car?

Bill

Dodge Aries K
10-28-2007, 10:28 AM
A Whittier car is one of the ones Shelby actually did work on, like the CSX, CSX-T, Shelby Lancer, Shelby Dakota, and the GLHS. Other cars like Shelby Charger, Daytona Shelby, and Lancer Shelby are just cars with the namesake made by Chrysler themselves.

GLHNSLHT2
10-28-2007, 10:34 AM
braking system, springs, rear axle, front sway bar. might be a chassis reinforcement across the front of the lower rad support. Other than that they're the same. Don't swap vins. there's about 30 vin stickers around the car you'd have to swap without looking like they've been swapped. Just take the badging off the ES and no one will ever know the difference :)

tryingbe
10-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Is the Daytona Shelby white?

Gearjamer
10-28-2007, 11:48 AM
The Shelby is Red, The ES is white. I like the '90 interior a LOT more. There is some repaired damage around the radiator support on the ES. The Shelby is perfect. I think I'm going to swap parts. The motor in the shelby has a rebuilt top end and new turbo. I also put in new Energy Suspension bushings, KYB struts, and brake pads. All totaled I've only got about 1900.00 in both cars, new parts, trailer rentals, and registration fee's. I can make one of the cars cherry with parts from both. But both are in pretty good condition. Thanks for the feedback.

Now if some one can give me a diffinative list of the "Shelby" parts I should swap over I will be set. Brakes and Suspension I got, is there anything else?