PDA

View Full Version : T-III Wiring Conversion Questions

gasketmaster
10-25-2007, 09:17 PM
I have a complete T-III engine I'm interested in installing in our 90 Sundance :eyebrows:
The car is a 5-speed so I'm thinking about machining the bellhousing for the crank sensor and running the stock ECU. Does the fact that the car is a 90 T1 vehicle make the wiring conversion easier than the earlier years? Can I just add/remove things from the existing harness? Do I need to repin some of the original harness to make it work? Or would it be way easier to get the T-III harness and install it???

Lots-o-questions :D

turbovanmanČ
10-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Ha, I knew you'd go 16 valve in something, ;)

I added "wiring" to your title, :nod:

gasketmaster
10-25-2007, 10:13 PM

I added "wiring" to your title, :nod:

Thanks.........but do you know the answer to my questions??? :D

Xtrempickup
10-25-2007, 10:16 PM
its been addressed further on the other site

gasketmaster
10-25-2007, 10:17 PM

The Sundance runs 13.30's with a non-intercooled stock engine :thumb:

I wonder what it will run with the T-III powerplant :eyebrows:

gasketmaster
10-25-2007, 10:18 PM
its been addressed further on the other site

Cool :thumb:

GLHNSLHT2
10-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Being a shadow there's no bulkhead connector so wiring is gonna be a bit of an issue, it's not just plug and play.

turbovanmanČ
10-25-2007, 11:03 PM
The Sundance runs 13.30's with a non-intercooled stock engine :thumb:

I wonder what it will run with the T-III powerplant :eyebrows:

10's, :amen:

gasketmaster
10-25-2007, 11:31 PM
10's, :amen:

I was thinking easy 11's :eyebrows:

Turbo3Iroc
10-26-2007, 01:01 AM
I've seen an adapter pigtail harness in one P body T3 swap. I imagine you probably dont have the interior half of the bulkhead connector fot the T3 though? I was looking at swppaing a T3 into a 90 Spirit T1 car an ironically it only needs a few pins moved. I still have a set of 90 FSM's I can part with, PM if interested.

Kelly

turbovanmanČ
10-26-2007, 01:09 AM
I've seen an adapter pigtail harness in one P body T3 swap. I imagine you probably dont have the interior half of the bulkhead connector fot the T3 though? I was looking at swppaing a T3 into a 90 Spirit T1 car an ironically it only needs a few pins moved. I still have a set of 90 FSM's I can part with, PM if interested.

Kelly

Spirits have the body connector plug so it would be fairly simple. As mentioned, Shadows don't.

Turbo3Iroc
10-26-2007, 01:15 AM
Right, I thought it would be more difficult adapting it into a 90 car but I found a deal on a 91 R/T roller before that project got started.

I hope you're good with a soldering iron Terry!

turbovanmanČ
10-26-2007, 01:17 AM
Right, I thought it would be more difficult adapting it into a 90 car but I found a deal on a 91 R/T roller before that project got started.

I hope you're good with a soldering iron Terry!

Nice, I could have had a roller but would have had to drive to Spokane, and it looked rough, :(

Lotashelbys
10-27-2007, 01:05 AM

Kelly

Kelly
Swapping a 90 TI harness to TIII is cake! Actually a swapped 90-91 TI harness IMO is better that a factory TIII harness! The O2 wiring is in the right spot and the cam sensor plug is now inegrated in the neg sub-harness. Its just better:thumb:

As for Terry's harness,got him covered like a blanket:thumb:

Turbo3Iroc
10-27-2007, 01:12 AM
I found that out but I found a better car to swap everything into. Less rust and a real R/T car and I needed something on the road to function as my DD so it worked out great. been driving it nearly a year now.

What about the map wiring? Just relocate it to the firewall?

Just curious what you recommended for Terry's situation?

iTurbo
10-27-2007, 03:07 AM
I'm converting my SL to TIII. I have already upgraded the car with a '91 Lebaron GTC harness in preparation. Aside from relocating a few things, it doesn't look that bad at all.

Am I the only one that prefers a small butane torch to a soldering iron?

Lotashelbys
10-27-2007, 10:21 AM
What about the map wiring? Just relocate it to the firewall?

Just curious what you recommended for Terry's situation?

The MAP wiring in the 90-91 TIs is in a good place already being right next to where the A/C comes into the engine compartment. Of course if you are using a 90 harness you have to splice in a 91+ MAP plug(un less you are running the 3bar unit)

I just told Terry to use the 90 TI harness and add the ignition control #2 wire at the 60 way and install a charge-temp feed wire(some already have that going to the knock) and lengthen and shorten a few wires and throw in a 91 TIII SBEC. I will just walk him through it when he got the harness in front of him and ready to convert:thumb:

I'm converting my SL to TIII. I have already upgraded the car with a '91 Lebaron GTC harness in preparation. Aside from relocating a few things, it doesn't look that bad at all.

Am I the only one that prefers a small butane torch to a soldering iron?

With that 91 GTC harness it should be like close your eyes and convert:D

Dont forget heat-shrink tubing:D
and cloth tape and black split-loom

Turbo3Iroc
10-27-2007, 12:03 PM
That doesn't sound bad. I just hate dealing with wires lol.

iTurbo
10-27-2007, 04:14 PM
With that 91 GTC harness it should be like close your eyes and convert:D

Dont forget heat-shrink tubing:D
and cloth tape and black split-loom

Yep, any more I try to emulate the factory way of doing things as much as possible.

turbovanmanČ
10-27-2007, 05:54 PM
I use both, butane torch and a soldering iron, shrink wrap, plastic wire loom, :amen:

Lotashelbys
10-27-2007, 11:14 PM
I use both, butane torch and a soldering iron, shrink wrap, plastic wire loom, :amen:

Im so pround of you:D

turbovanmanČ
10-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Im so pround of you:D

Aww shucks, thanks, :clap:

J&H Ryan
08-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Old thread digging...

If I want to drop a TIII into my 92 2.5T1 lebaron it sounds like some simple rewiring and machining out the 568
If the engine is going in it, there is a tasty looking TIII longblock in the f/s section...

turbovanmanČ
08-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Yes, not much needs to be changed, and find a TIII 568 would make it even easier, :thumb:

J&H Ryan
08-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Yes, not much needs to be changed, and find a TIII 568 would make it even easier, :thumb:
Yeah, since my 568 apparently has no 2nd off a fresh rebuild, I gotta do something anyway. I wish I still had cliffs number, he hasn't been on here in awhile.