PDA

View Full Version : Got to thinking

lotharamc
10-22-2007, 11:49 AM
I modified my head to use a Caravan sensor inplace of the cam position sensor.

What I'm thinking about is.... What actually triggers the spark? I'm hoping the crank position sensor is what is dictating when the spark happens, and the cam sensor is just saying which one to fire.

This concerns me because I made the cutout for my Caravan sensor just big enough for the sensor, and eyeballed it at that. So if my timming is advanced or retarded, I can't adjust to make it correct. However, if the sensor's position isn't that important, then I'm fine.

Anyone?

turbovanmanČ
10-22-2007, 01:18 PM
IIRC, the crank sensor is the main signal and the cam sensor tells the computer when TDC is for the sync.

lotharamc
10-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I think I"m just going to find tdc mechanically, mark the flywheel off of something near the opening of the bell housing, and see what is actually going on.

Anyone know what the TIII's run as far as advance goes? Initial or otherwise?

Has anyone ever tried this and succeded/failed?

turbovanmanČ
10-22-2007, 04:14 PM
I think I"m just going to find tdc mechanically, mark the flywheel off of something near the opening of the bell housing, and see what is actually going on.

Anyone know what the TIII's run as far as advance goes? Initial or otherwise?

Has anyone ever tried this and succeded/failed?

There is a thread about the advance, I'll try to find it later or use my name and sensor in the TIII section as someone used an auto trans so they built a front mount mount crank sensor.