PDA

View Full Version : Mini A/C, intercooler and radiator question.....

fastasleep
10-17-2007, 08:09 AM
Hey guys,

As you already know, I am putting an intercooler on the Mini (90' Plymouth). As this is my daily, I do not want to get rid of the A/C, so I am thinking I may have to do a great bit of reconfiguration to retain the condensor.
I am using two SRT 4 intercoolers (NOT tig'd together, but using siamese inlet/outlet) with the two intercoolers stacked one above the other in front of a much larger than stock universal aluminum radiator from Summit. The problem I can see is this: the I/C's overall length is about 32" (from the outside OD to the corresponding outside OD). Once these are in place with the radiator behind them I will have little room for a stock condensor. Can I use two small condensors (like from a CRX or ??????) and place them where I can fit them running the first's outlet to the second's inlet, or do I HAVE to use only one?
Also, the pic in the SRT Mini on this board (which is an EXCELLENT piece of work!), you can see how the SRT4 I/C would mount around the radiator. The second SRT I/C would be below that one (right behind the bumper). I am pretty sure that I could perf. the bumper to get better airflow without too many people noticing. BTW, I am using the two SRT I/C's because I already have them; wasn't necessarily my first choice.
If you notice in that SRT Mini pic that shows how he did the I/C/radiator set-up, there is an area above the radiator that a very short (height) but long (length) condensor looks as if it will fit. Does anyone know of a condensor that may fit and use up all the excess room?
Thanks again!

-Les

BTW, Turbovanman, do you have an extra set of those LHS wheels? I think they look better than the SRT wheels on the minis!:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
10-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Due to the way the A/C system works, I don't think you can use 2 condensors. You can maybe move the condensor on the OTHER side and rig up a fan for it but you must have a fan on it or the a/c will let go due to high pressures.

All I can say is bolt it up and do the trail and error method, most people toss the a/c, I think I am the only Mini with an a/c system that works.

They are actually Lebaron GTC wheels, LHS wheels are slightly different and have a different bolt pattern. I can phone the wreckers and see if anyone has anymore.

fastasleep
10-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the info. I hate to do away with the A/C being in Atlanta and all, so I have to find a solution; even if it is one that is less cosmetically appealing.
Cool with the LeBaron GTC wheels, too. I was asking for LHS wheels; maybe one of these wrecker yards actually does have the right wheels for me.

-Les

turbovanmanČ
10-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the info. I hate to do away with the A/C being in Atlanta and all, so I have to find a solution; even if it is one that is less cosmetically appealing.
Cool with the LeBaron GTC wheels, too. I was asking for LHS wheels; maybe one of these wrecker yards actually does have the right wheels for me.

-Les

You saw how I kept my a/c thread didn't you?

LHS wheels won't fit our vans. Is yours a Grand Mini? does it have factory 11 inch brakes?

fastasleep
10-17-2007, 08:59 PM
No, its not a Grand. It has the 5 x 100 bolt pattern. I will look up your I/C mount thread again, now.

-Les