PDA

View Full Version : Champion RN3C's.

GLHNSLHT2
10-14-2007, 09:24 PM
I've been having a detonatin problem. No matter how much I retarded the timing in the cal I couldn't get it to go away. Adding fuel didn't help either. Now I saw here http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18965 Ken talking about running RN3C's and that James Reeves is running them as well. So I thought I'd give them a try since I can't seem to run more than 17psi without the det sensor going off. The plugs I've been running are compareable to RN6YC's. Now Ken says they're same heat range as an RN9YC. They're not. They're cold as hell. The # signifies the heat range for Champs and that's why the tip doesn't protrude. But I bought some and put them in. Detonation is practically gone. I get a little knock retard on #1 but it goes away quickly as the rpms rise. I like them for the most part. Wondering how a RN2C will work :) Anyway for those that are having a det problem give them a try.

Now maybe just a touch more fuel will have 0 degrees getting pulled and I can finally start cranking the boost above 17psi. Course this is probably all gonna change when I drop on the 2 piece with the new upper plenum and a ported head, and my JRB tube header on the car.

Anyway I give a thumbs up if you're having a det problem and fuel or timing isn't solving it.

ShadowFromHell
10-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Do you think these would be to cold for less mod'd TD's (non IC cars)? Or could you get away with more boost on a hot air system?

thanks for the info

moparzrule
10-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks for writing this, I am having some issues and I was planning on trying them just haven't gotten around to it. Now I have even more reason too!

GLHNSLHT2
10-14-2007, 09:51 PM
I could see them fouling if you're too rich at idle and cruise. But I'm pretty lean at idle and cruise. I'd try an Autolite AR51 1st. If the scanner still says you're getting some knock retard you could try the. Wish I could get an AR plug in the same heat range.

turbovanmanČ
10-14-2007, 10:15 PM
I guess you don't remember the NGK BR9ES's we've been telling you for years about!! ;) Use the Iridium version and they last forever, :nod:

GLHNSLHT2
10-14-2007, 11:25 PM
iridium version of NGK's just scream RICER and I ignore anything else about them. People need to explain why they are better. And lasting forever isn't one of them.

ShadowFromHell
10-15-2007, 01:06 AM
I have a set of the NGK's im my toolbox. I installed them in my shadow, drove it 40 miles to work, and ordered a set of plugs while at was at work and changed them back to champions before driving home. But, it may have just been my setup.

turbovanmanČ
10-15-2007, 02:38 AM
iridium version of NGK's just scream RICER and I ignore anything else about them. People need to explain why they are better. And lasting forever isn't one of them.

Yeah, your right, NGK is ricer. Guess that NTK oxygen sensors screams ricer too, dumbass, :ban:

I seem to remember a certain person telling us how his race Autolite 51's were da bomb????????

No one said there better, its a matter of preference, which your very keen at pointing out YOUR preferences. Iridium, if you can read, requires less energy for the spark to jump and as a bonus, lasts a long, long time, but you knew that, right????

nBALLS
10-15-2007, 05:41 AM
Yeah, your right, NGK is ricer. Guess that NTK oxygen sensors screams ricer too, dumbass, :ban:

I seem to remember a certain person telling us how his race Autolite 51's were da bomb????????

No one said there better, its a matter of preference, which your very keen at pointing out YOUR preferences. Iridium, if you can read, requires less energy for the spark to jump and as a bonus, lasts a long, long time, but you knew that, right????

Ummm, Simon, I think that is a little uncalled for. First of all, Jay is not a dumbass, opinionated: Yes, dumbass: No. He was talking specifically about the Iridium version of NGKs, not NGKs in general. Knowing Jay how I know him, he believes that the Iridium plug is a gimmick. SO, I would assume that he wants you to explain why they are better, because your preference for the plugs would make anyone conclude that you prefer them because they are better, DUH. He may also be wary of using them because of their tiny center electrode tip, for the same reason you DON'T use Bosch Platinums in ANY forced induction car, well ANY car for that matter, lol.

Oh yeah, when Jay finds something that works better than what he had, he's all about it. The AR51s worked WAY better than what he had(RN6YCs, IIRC), so he touted them. Now, he found something that solved his knock problem, and wanted to share. In doing so, he hopefully helps someone else with a similar problem. I'm also pretty sure you have touted stuff in the past that hasn't turned out to be the best thing, just like I have, and just like most people have. It's a learning process, and you know it.

I also find it ironic that you call him a dumbass, with numerous grammatical errors in your post: Your=You're and There=They're

Simon, lighten up, and pull your head out of your butt.

moparzrule
10-15-2007, 06:25 AM
I have a set of the NGK's im my toolbox. I installed them in my shadow, drove it 40 miles to work, and ordered a set of plugs while at was at work and changed them back to champions before driving home. But, it may have just been my setup.

I had the same experience with the BR9ES's, car seemed to run like crap and miss an an idle something fierce even when I put the gap down to like .028''. Car would stumble on takeoff. Then I tried the BR7's, no noticeable difference. Wasted money since they are like 3 times more expensive than champions. Perhaps a the low compression of a G head just doesn't like the use of the non extended tip in my application.

ShadowFromHell
10-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Thats very possible. My setup also ran very rich (poor college old school setup) and I think that was part of the problem.

turbovanmanČ
10-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Ummm, Simon, I think that is a little uncalled for. First of all, Jay is not a dumbass, opinionated: Yes, dumbass: No. He was talking specifically about the Iridium version of NGKs, not NGKs in general. Knowing Jay how I know him, he believes that the Iridium plug is a gimmick. SO, I would assume that he wants you to explain why they are better, because your preference for the plugs would make anyone conclude that you prefer them because they are better, DUH. He may also be wary of using them because of their tiny center electrode tip, for the same reason you DON'T use Bosch Platinums in ANY forced induction car, well ANY car for that matter, lol.

Oh yeah, when Jay finds something that works better than what he had, he's all about it. The AR51s worked WAY better than what he had(RN6YCs, IIRC), so he touted them. Now, he found something that solved his knock problem, and wanted to share. In doing so, he hopefully helps someone else with a similar problem. I'm also pretty sure you have touted stuff in the past that hasn't turned out to be the best thing, just like I have, and just like most people have. It's a learning process, and you know it.

I also find it ironic that you call him a dumbass, with numerous grammatical errors in your post: Your=You're and There=They're

I don't think I should lighten up, he dogged me on another thread and called me a forum pig. So when he apologizes, I will. I don't like being attacked and won't stand for it.

Iridium is not EVEN close to Platinum, Denso had Iridiums before anyone knew what they were, there are INTENDED for a turbo application.

I have touted stuff in the past and made lots of mistakes, but I don't come on here bashing other peoples efforts, or calling them out or being on a throne as Jay tends to put out.

Nice find on the grammar errors, :rolleyes: :focus:

Marcus86GLHS
10-15-2007, 01:57 PM
the engine in my glhs is 100% stock and of all the plugs i have experimented with (not a lot of mileage here but enough track time): the stock champions, autolites, NGK's (BR7's and BR9's and GR4's) my car really seemed to run much better with the NGK V-Power GR4's and best runs were w/ 17-18 psi boost.

theres just so many variables in each type of engine setup that testing seems to would be the best approach yes?

moparzrule
10-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Went to autozone today, part number 880 doesn't exist and RN3C punched in doesn't work either. WTF is with autozone's in PA?

turbovanmanČ
10-16-2007, 05:31 PM
the engine in my glhs is 100% stock and of all the plugs i have experimented with (not a lot of mileage here but enough track time): the stock champions, autolites, NGK's (BR7's and BR9's and GR4's) my car really seemed to run much better with the NGK V-Power GR4's and best runs were w/ 17-18 psi boost.

theres just so many variables in each type of engine setup that testing seems to would be the best approach yes?

Yeah, it comes down to what you feel is good, lol! I do like the G-powers too, there a cheaper version of the Iridiums. I have a high output coil so I needed something that lasted longer, reg plugs, EVEN Champion, wore out extremely fast.

Went to autozone today, part number 880 doesn't exist and RN3C punched in doesn't work either. WTF is with autozone's in PA?

Damn. Just called my local parts supplier, its a good number.

moparzrule
10-16-2007, 05:34 PM
WTF, I watched the person type in the computer 880, and RN3C and on both it said the number was no good. I might have to order plugs online? What kinda crap is that.

turbovanmanČ
10-16-2007, 05:37 PM
WTF, I watched the person type in the computer 880, and RN3C and on both it said the number was no good. I might have to order plugs online? What kinda crap is that.

Maybe they've never sold any so its not in the system. Maybe try Napa, Schucks etc if you have them.

moparzrule
10-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Maybe Napa, never heard of the other one. Does napa have a part number of can I just say RN3C?

20w/ashelby
10-16-2007, 07:44 PM
I don't think I should lighten up, he dogged me on another thread and called me a forum pig. So when he apologizes, I will. I don't like being attacked and won't stand for it.

Iridium is not EVEN close to Platinum, Denso had Iridiums before anyone knew what they were, there are INTENDED for a turbo application.

I have touted stuff in the past and made lots of mistakes, but I don't come on here bashing other peoples efforts, or calling them out or being on a throne as Jay tends to put out.

Nice find on the grammar errors, :rolleyes: :focus:

:rolleyes: It amazes me how you seem to blow everything out of proportion.

Directconnection
10-16-2007, 07:45 PM

I think you should lighten up. After all... he's Canadian! He can't help it.... it's a french thing:drum:

Frank
10-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Knock off the bickering!

Simon, you know better!

turbovanmanČ
10-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Knock off the bickering!

Simon, you know better!

I do but I won't tolerate being belittled. Sorry.

Frank
10-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Maybe not, but it does not mean you can belittle back. You must be above that.

turbovanmanČ
10-16-2007, 07:51 PM
:rolleyes: It amazes me how you seem to blow everything out of proportion.

Your kidding right? :o

turbovanmanČ
10-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Maybe not, but it does not mean you can belittle back. You must be above that.

I've got a pretty thick skin but I won't tolerate that or the other thread where he called me a forum pig.

Frank
10-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Your kidding right? :o

Ok, any more comments beyond the true topic of spark plugs will result in some serious reprocutions... staff included. None of us have time for this crap!

Reeves
10-16-2007, 09:55 PM
I know Napa has the RN3C's. That's where I normally get them from. Also, www.sparkplugs.com has them.

GLHSKEN
11-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Everyone that has used them has seen reduced knock. No one has fouled anything that I know of. I ran rich as hell with them and no fouling. The term equivalent heat range was used due to the plug being recessed and less likely to foul for that reason.

moparzrule
11-17-2007, 11:13 AM
I have to get a set of these for cecil. Ken has anybody that you know of tried them on any G head setup? What I mean is low compression, I'm only running about 7-7.2:1 compression which is why I might be fouling the 9's.

BadAssPerformance
11-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Would be nice to do a Back to Back vs. RN9YC vs. RN3C to see if there is any benefit or even detrement for a stock application. Heck, for a BONE stock car a '12' probably runs better than a '9'...

EDIT: The only reason why I added the above comments is for those that may think "hey I need to do the RN3C plug mod for my stock TM" and think it may be an easy performance mod. It is definitely easy to do, but not all cars will benefit from it.

Reeves
11-17-2007, 02:20 PM
I run them with a G head and low compression.

There is NO performance benefit. There probably is a slight loss of performance due to the non-projected tip. The only benefit is that if you detonate, you won't be breaking porcelain tips off in your cylinder. I learned that too many times!!!

moparzrule
11-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Thats what I need, I'm want to run 25 PSI boost at cecil but I haven't been able to get past 18 because I'm running stock RN12YC's!

johnl
11-18-2007, 01:15 AM
:nod:
I run them with a G head and low compression.

There is NO performance benefit. There probably is a slight loss of performance due to the non-projected tip. The only benefit is that if you detonate, you won't be breaking porcelain tips off in your cylinder. I learned that too many times!!!

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Turbo_Rampage
11-18-2007, 02:50 AM
I guess you don't remember the NGK BR9ES's we've been telling you for years about!! ;)

I use these plugs in my Rampage and they are awesome, :thumb: The only problem i have with them, is when i first start my car up when it's cold it missfires for the first 5 minutes of idling, but after that it clears out and idles perfect. When i used to run the GR4's it used to idle perfect when cold, but i can live with the poor cold idle of the BR9ES's because it doesn't detonate with them since i've ran them. Plus every parts store has lots of the BR9ES's in stock because lots of snowmobiles and ATV's use them... I noticed you can only get them in the G-power model around here. Do they make this heat range plug in the V-power?

shadowdude
04-26-2008, 02:15 PM
quick question,looked every where for a "specific" gap for the RN3C,s did not find.Is the standard 35 thousands right for these ,or do they require a different setting ?

moparzrule
04-26-2008, 03:40 PM
.035 is not standard on these cars! More like .030'', or tighter if you are using a mostly stock ignition. I used to run .030-.032 in my daytona.

shadowdude
04-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Thats is the only non performance piece left is the wires and HEI coil on the thermostat housing.Great then ,i will set them for 30 thousands then ,thanks.:thumb:.

BadAssPerformance
04-26-2008, 06:33 PM
.035 is not standard on these cars! More like .030'', or tighter if you are using a mostly stock ignition. I used to run .030-.032 in my daytona.

Not standard? It says 0.035" on the sticker under the hood.

shadowdude
04-26-2008, 07:26 PM
With the mods i have ,i would presume a smaller gap would be better on those cold plugs as so not to "blow the spark out" sort of speak.

moparzrule
04-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Not standard? It says 0.035" on the sticker under the hood.

OK let me rephrase, not standard when you are using a 3 step colder plug!

Austrian Dodge
04-26-2008, 08:53 PM
I use these plugs in my Rampage and they are awesome, :thumb: The only problem i have with them, is when i first start my car up when it's cold it missfires for the first 5 minutes of idling, but after that it clears out and idles perfect. When i used to run the GR4's it used to idle perfect when cold, but i can live with the poor cold idle of the BR9ES's because it doesn't detonate with them since i've ran them. Plus every parts store has lots of the BR9ES's in stock because lots of snowmobiles and ATV's use them... I noticed you can only get them in the G-power model around here. Do they make this heat range plug in the V-power?

all aftermarket parts stores list the ngk br9es as stock replacement spark plugs for TDs over here :thumb:
i'm running those in my daytona - absolutely NO problem at all! will see how they like high boost soon