PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 1988 Daytona Z - A few questions

MopàrBCN
10-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Hi,

Next week I will get a 1988 Daytona Z (Turbo II) and I am preparing my shopping list.

One thing I am not sure of is the exhaust part:

On my LeBaron I went straight 2.5" inkl. high flow cat. It being 89CB the downpipe already came at 2.5".

I have read that the 88 models used the 2.25" Downpipe.
Now my questions:

1. Does this apply to the Turbo II configuration as well?
2. If the downpipe is at 2.25" would the rest of the exhaust system be as restrictive as the lebaron (which over the axcle it reduced to less then 2") or does it go straigth 2.25"
3. Is there an advantage if swapping engines, swapping a 88 2.2 Turbo II Engine with an 1989 CB (which is sitting in my Lebaron)?. If I understand Mopars Performance Mods book right then the only week engine pre 89 was the Turbo 1. However, I would like to know. It is out of curiosity.

Well, can't wait to get the car!!

Turbodave
10-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Hi,

Next week I will get a 1988 Daytona Z (Turbo II) and I am preparing my shopping list.

One thing I am not sure of is the exhaust part:

On my LeBaron I went straight 2.5" inkl. high flow cat. It being 89CB the downpipe already came at 2.5".

I have read that the 88 models used the 2.25" Downpipe.
Now my questions:

1. Does this apply to the Turbo II configuration as well?
2. If the downpipe is at 2.25" would the rest of the exhaust system be as restrictive as the lebaron (which over the axcle it reduced to less then 2") or does it go straigth 2.25"
3. Is there an advantage if swapping engines, swapping a 88 2.2 Turbo II Engine with an 1989 CB (which is sitting in my Lebaron)?. If I understand Mopars Performance Mods book right then the only week engine pre 89 was the Turbo 1. However, I would like to know. It is out of curiosity.

Well, can't wait to get the car!!

The 88 will have a 2.25" downpipe and then drops to tiny after the cat, getting down to like 1 7/8" over the rear axle. The 88 has a large downpipe boltflange like the 89 so putting a 2.5" downpipe on is easy if you choose to do so.

The 88TII is still a stout engine and I don't see any reason for replacing it with a common block unless your trying to build a crazy 400+ hp monster. For your average street car with a few mods and between 200-300 hp the stock 88 block will be fine.

MiniMopar
10-15-2007, 05:32 PM
My 88 had the small flange, but it was a T1 (Mitsu).

ShelbyTurbo
10-15-2007, 06:07 PM
All T-II's, except for the Shelby/Whittier cars had the beefy rods. TII production cars also have a forged crank.

Should be fine unless you're trying for an obscene amount of horsepower, which Dave already mentioned.

I would only swap in the CB engine if the original engine was toast, completely toast like the '88 TII bottom end I still have in my barn, locked up tight from a seized main bearing.

one of these days I'll rip it down and see exactly what went wrong for the hell of it, or I'll toss it out with the next scrap metal run...

And not only do the '87-'88 TII's have the smaller downpipe, they also have the smaller 2.25 swing valve too. If you've got a 2.5" one laying around it would make a good upgrade.

Along with the smaller swing valve, they also have a smaller wastgate can, my stock one had trouble holding more than 14 psi of boost. It actually worked perfectly for me because the car was still bone stock, with just the waste gate can unplugged it would rocket up to 14 psi and hold just below boost cut out on account of the weak wastegate cannister.

MopàrBCN
10-16-2007, 06:33 AM
Hi, THANKS to all for your help.

Can't wait getting the car. Monday will be the day now!

I am like a little boy waiting for santa claus.... :-)

turbokid
10-21-2007, 11:00 PM
post pics =)