PDA

View Full Version : Planning a different kind of 2.2 build!

TurboNeon568
10-14-2007, 05:41 PM
I am planning what I can only describe as a "Heritage Acknowledgement" or "Bridge-gap". Basically, a new dodge vehicle that pays homage to the Turbocharged Dodge roots.

I own a 2001 Dodge Neon SE (PL body) with a 2.0 and a 5 speed. I am planning a turbo build using a 2.2 stroker crank from Indyheads.com. Now since this is the replacement for the P body, I am torn between using an SOHC Magnum head or a DOHC 1st Gen R/T head. These two head flow relativley the same. I like the fine tunability of the DOHC but the SOHC would be a more fitting tribute. I would like you're opinions on this.

Tell me what you think!

cordes
10-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Go for the one that flows the best.

TurboNeon568
10-14-2007, 06:20 PM
They both flow pretty close to the same. From what I understand (I'm still researching), the SOHC Magnum head flows better on the exhaust side but I think the cam profiles are a little more restricted by the head design. I also think that the DOHC R/T head flows just a bit better in intake and is less restricted on cam profiles. It's also a little more adjustable. I am having trouble weighing the pros and cons cuz they're really close.

BTW, I also wanna know if people like this idea and if they have any suggestions to help me out.

Turbodave
10-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Magnum heads are nice, and it would be easier to install on your car, and you don't need to change much around that way.

Overall though I think you can get more out of DOHC head. I would try to get one off a newer 2.4 since there are some improvements over the earlier DOHC heads.

TurboNeon568
10-15-2007, 10:48 AM
I thought about that. But I also like the idea of an SOHC head as just one more connection to the TDs. The only P Body that came with a DOHC from the factory was #001 and that was a TIII powered gift to Carroll Shelby himself.

2.216VTurbo
10-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Nostalgia is nice and all but once it lives, you are gonna want to make the most power you can with it. So I'd give the nod to the head with the best flow AND aftermarket support. I may be biased but I just think two cams are better than one;)

Oh yeah, BUILD IT:amen: It would be pretty cool:thumb:

TurboNeon568
10-15-2007, 12:16 PM
It's currently my DD and I hope to keep it that way after the build. I wouldn't shoot for anything more than 500hp at the highest but I'm leaning towards about 400hp. I am making a tribute to the shebly cars so it's got to handle great. Ca't overpower it.