PDA

View Full Version : Running 2 mufflers to get rid of drone!!!!!!

turbovanmanČ
10-13-2007, 05:01 PM
I am running a 3 inch mandrel bent system, resonator and Magnaflow muffler, its not bad but drones on the highway at the most traveled speed, of course. Now what if i put another Magnaflow inline, would that help? I can't see it affecting flow.

BadAssPerformance
10-13-2007, 05:22 PM
If only they made 3" mandrel bent glass pack tube :rolleyes:

Sounds like you just need a bigger chamber straight thru type muffler... maybe Dynomax or Gibson makes a larger volume straight thru oval than the Magnaflow one you have?

Speedeuphoria
10-13-2007, 05:26 PM
I put 2 on mine to quiet it down, a 5" round Borla where the Cat was, then the one at the end. Havent driven alot but it helped. I dont think it will hurt performance much.

Now my DD, 99 GA 3.4, had similar to the Spirit(no cat), it was loud especially 2500-3000. I added a cheap glasspack type muffler where the cat was and it helped the drone alot

Its either that, which is cheap if you have it laying around, or like JT said try to find the longest/larges chamber one you can find.

turbovanmanČ
10-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Ok, well Greedy has a 3 inch Borla for sale, http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18787

Would that work or find the largest volume Magnaflow I can find.

I am not a fan of glass packs. ;)

Ok, I found a long, welded Ultraflow, #17223-case is 16" long and 6" round. Not enough volume? or #17220, 4 1/2 x 9 3/4 oval case, 14" long?

Murphy
10-13-2007, 06:00 PM
why dont you run a cutout system?

Frank
10-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Go with the largest volume Magnaflow. My daytona's is a 5x8x24 body!

turbovanmanČ
10-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Go with the largest volume Magnaflow. My daytona's is a 5x8x24 body!

By itself or run it with the other one?

Have the part number? Are you sure its 24" long?

Ondonti
10-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Single Ultraflow where the cat is supposed to be was way to loud so I went full exhaust to bumper and put a 4" body borla xr-1 at the end of the bumper. Stainless packing. Too expensive IMO but a cute muffler :D

Car is still too loud loud but it doesnt have that droning so bad. I dont think running 2 mufflers in series makes the car sound bad either! Might just be my muffler choice though.

Speedeuphoria
10-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Single Ultraflow where the cat is supposed to be was way to loud so I went full exhaust to bumper and put a 4" body borla xr-1 at the end of the bumper. Stainless packing. Too expensive IMO but a cute muffler :D

Car is still too loud loud but it doesnt have that droning so bad. I dont think running 2 mufflers in series makes the car sound bad either! Might just be my muffler choice though.

I agree doesnt sound bad and too expensive. Cant remember if my Borla is a 4" or 5" dia, want to say 5" cause I was trying to get the largest dia that would fit in the exhaust tunnel where the cat was. Then the dumb fartcan at the end for me, which doesnt muffle well IMO.

Tell you what when I free rev ~5000rpm+ it sounds great!, Think its the 16valves!(Right Simon:D )

Turbulence
10-13-2007, 11:50 PM
I really think is the overall length of the exhaust that is the problem. On my first van I had Dynomax race bullet where the resonator was originally and a hooker muffler (straight through) in the stock location. I added the bullet to quiet down the resonance. Helped a bit but not much.

Last van had 3 inch and magnaflo 5x11 oval 22 inch long this one:

http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=14578

Resonanace was still bad. I figured I wanted as much sound deadening material I could get, thus the 5x11.

There is also this one if you can live with center in and out. 30 inches long:

http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=14591

I have often wondered what would happen if one were to lengthen the pipe and have it exit on the drivers side. Resonanace might change to a different point.

Martin

89 Horizon...resting
90 Sundance... dd

turbovanmanČ
10-13-2007, 11:56 PM
I agree doesnt sound bad and too expensive. Cant remember if my Borla is a 4" or 5" dia, want to say 5" cause I was trying to get the largest dia that would fit in the exhaust tunnel where the cat was. Then the dumb fartcan at the end for me, which doesnt muffle well IMO.

Tell you what when I free rev ~5000rpm+ it sounds great!, Think its the 16valves!(Right Simon:D )

Hahhaha, well it was worse before, ;)

With the auto, it puts the rpm's right in the drone zone on the highway, which I know commute 30 mins a day. After driving my soooo quiet full size van for 7 months, I don't want to deal with it anymore.

I really think is the overall length of the exhaust that is the problem. On my first van I had Dynomax race bullet where the resonator was originally and a hooker muffler (straight through) in the stock location. I added the bullet to quiet down the resonance. Helped a bit but not much.

Last van had 3 inch and magnaflo 5x11 oval 22 inch long this one:

http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=14578

Resonanace was still bad. I figured I wanted as much sound deadening material I could get, thus the 5x11.

There is also this one if you can live with center in and out. 30 inches long:

http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=14591

I have often wondered what would happen if one were to lengthen the pipe and have it exit on the drivers side. Resonanace might change to a different point.

Martin

89 Horizon...resting
90 Sundance... dd

I have had drone since day one, lol.

First system has a cat then Flowmaster, all the way to the back, it was brutal, so switched to passenger side exit, much better but liveable. Tried a Super40 and was much better but then switched to a larger turbo and it was back. Then went full system with it at the back, better but there, tried a Magnaflow, still there, put a resonator in, better so I'll try another muffler. That last one, CC 30" long is perfect for under the floor, :nod: :amen:

Turbulence
10-14-2007, 12:09 AM
and a Canuck exhaust company to boot! I've ordered from then a few times and had good service and decent prices.

Martin

89 Horizon
89 Sundance

Hahhaha, well it was worse before, ;)

With the auto, it puts the rpm's right in the drone zone on the highway, which I know commute 30 mins a day. After driving my soooo quiet full size van for 7 months, I don't want to deal with it anymore.

I have had drone since day one, lol.

First system has a cat then Flowmaster, all the way to the back, it was brutal, so switched to passenger side exit, much better but liveable. Tried a Super40 and was much better but then switched to a larger turbo and it was back. Then went full system with it at the back, better but there, tried a Magnaflow, still there, put a resonator in, better so I'll try another muffler. That last one, CC 30" long is perfect for under the floor, :nod: :amen:

turbovanmanČ
10-14-2007, 12:24 AM
What about this Diesel muffler--

4 inch in/out, 20" long (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magnaflow-4-Diesel-Exhaust-Muffler-Ford-Dodge-Chevy_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQihZ020QQit emZ300159805263QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

Looks smaller in diameter but longer (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magnaflow-Diesel-Muffler-12772-4-in-out_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQihZ013QQitem Z230180435200QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

tryingbe
10-14-2007, 01:27 AM
I have a 3 inch cat, 3 inch straight thru muffler and then another 3 inch straight thru muffler on my Omni. The 2nd muffler almost does nothing for quietness. I'm just going to give up and install a turbo muffler for quietness sake.

On my Daytona, it has a 3 inch downpipe and 3 inch cut out or back to the stock exhaust. Quiet as it can be when using the stock system and as loud as you want with the cut out. On highway, the cut-out is quieter than the Omni because there is no droning!

GLHNSLHT2
10-14-2007, 03:07 AM
Wait a second. I thought somewhere simon said that going 16v would rid his van of this "droning" he keeps complaining about. I see a T3 16v van for sale soon :)

moparzrule
10-14-2007, 09:12 AM
On my daytona I ran a dynomax bullet muffler in place of the cat (looks like a glass pack but it isn't the same, they don't blow out because of ceramic packing) and a dynomax ultraflow oval out the back. Quiet at an idle, no droning while cruising, but just loud enough at WOT to get people's attention but not too loud that it would get you pulled over.
Right now on my shadow I'm running an ultraflow round only out the back, a little more resonance than I'd like. I liked the oval better, the round kinda makes the car sound more like a ricer.
And BTW if you guys think these mufflers don't have any backpressure I got news for you. Running the stock T1 engine and mitsu, I put the 3'' exhaust on straightpipe all the way out. Boost creep like crazy, had to set it at 13 PSI because I would be at 18 by the time I was at redline. Put the ultraflow round on, held steady at 13 after that. I even had a turn-down on the straight pipe, but don't tell me the ultraflows have 0 backpressure because the proof is in the boost creep!
I have no doubt the round flows a bit more than the oval, but I like the way the oval sounds more so the sacrifice is worth it IMO. I LOVED the straight pipe, but that was with a T1 engine and a mitsu. Extremely loud at WOT and it in no way sounded like a 4 cylinder. But, if it was that loud with a mitsu, I cannot even imagine the insanity with a stage 3 .63 turbine.

turbovanmanČ
10-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Wait a second. I thought somewhere simon said that going 16v would rid his van of this "droning" he keeps complaining about. I see a T3 16v van for sale soon :)

Where do you guys keep coming up this crap? I've never said that? :confused:

It will NEVER be for sale, its way too much fun, :thumb:

turbovanmanČ
10-14-2007, 01:48 PM
But, if it was that loud with a mitsu, I cannot even imagine the insanity with a stage 3 .63 turbine.

I tried a straight pipe once, my shop vibrated, lol!

I have another Magnaflow, just going to put it on the tailpipe and go around the block, that should tell me if it will work or not. :D

Frank
10-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Where do you guys keep coming up this crap? I've never said that? :confused:

It will NEVER be for sale, its way too much fun, :thumb:

Ya you did!

turbovanmanČ
10-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Ya you did!

Nope, find it then, ;)

Ok, I found your muffler at Magnaflow but they have a 5x11 oval thats 22" long and they say thats for RV's and such for more noise reduction.

Should I run just that one or use it with my current smaller Magnaflow?

Frank
10-14-2007, 11:06 PM
There are witnesses... but 12k+ posts makes hard to find.

Anyway, that would probably do it by itself. You could always use your oval magnaflow you have now with a cat and it won't drone at all.

4 l-bodies
10-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Simon,
I ran into the same issue with Quacks 16V GLHS. I also used two straight thru mufflers. One where the cat used to reside, and one out back. Cat located muffler was 3" from ATR (GN machined muffler) second one was Walker 3" 6" round stainless. It was far quieter than with one muffler, but it still wasn't exactly quiet. Not droney though.
BTW the 3" round stainless muffler from Walker is way quieter than Walkers aluminized welded 3" 6" round muffler.
Todd

turbovanmanČ
10-14-2007, 11:09 PM
There are witnesses... but 12k+ posts makes hard to find.

Anyway, that would probably do it by itself. You could always use your oval magnaflow you have now with a cat and it won't drone at all.

I said it SHOULD help with the drone, lol!

Having the cat in sucks, looses a lot of bottom end but I need to put it back in for our emission test anyhow, we'll see what happens with noise and power.

Frank
10-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Don't play word games with me boy!

Ondonti
10-14-2007, 11:30 PM
I found.
No turbo, Cat, Ultroflow = drone.

Turbo, Cat, Ultraflow = no drone.

Thats in a car with full interior. I found that just removing the back seat from my spirit makes drone worse because sound starts coming into the cabin from the trunk.

I think I will put cutouts on both of my cars. I dont like the weight of full exhaust or any mufflers on my duster but the noise level is not acceptable.

turbovanmanČ
10-15-2007, 02:48 AM
Thanks guys, I'll figure something out. Also, when I get my 1/4's fixed, I am either going to spray the back floor, side panels and hatch with bed liner or sound deadener mat.

Oh and Frank, bite me, ;)

Frank
10-15-2007, 07:08 AM
You don't have carpet in there?

And because my bronco is all bed liner.... it does not help with drone... only the mat will.

All seats need to be bolted in as the added rigidity takes away the drone also.

If you don't have carpet or seats in some of the van, you can always expect drone.

Frank

Austrian Dodge
10-15-2007, 11:34 AM
i'm running a cat, race bullet right after it, and then a dynomax ultraflow round on the end. there's no drone anymore, but without the dynomax race bullet after the cat, it was way too loud.

turbovanmanČ
10-15-2007, 12:48 PM
You don't have carpet in there?

And because my bronco is all bed liner.... it does not help with drone... only the mat will.

All seats need to be bolted in as the added rigidity takes away the drone also.

If you don't have carpet or seats in some of the van, you can always expect drone.

Frank

Full interior and rear seat.

I want to do the sound stuff when the rear 1/4's get repaired, ;)

Mario
10-15-2007, 01:02 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=119077&postcount=17

88_pacifica
10-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Full interior and rear seat.

I want to do the sound stuff when the rear 1/4's get repaired, ;)

I know weight is a concern, but if you really want to "deaden" the sound of an exhaust, you have to eliminate the VIBRATIONS it causes. The "drone" is identical to car stereo "bass" issues. Frank is right, with out the interior, it is impossible to get the right "fit/sound."

I know when I had my other Daytopna, I yanked out all the interior and went to the JY and started pulling out the sound deadener material out of higher quality cars. It's identical to Dynamat and does the best job in the world of curing road noise rattles/drones and "bass issues" for guys with stereos. An 80's something american vehicle left a lot to be desired when it came to eliminating road noise and our cheaper Dodges were even worse.

I plan on doing this myself, as I want a free flowing exhaust, gutted cat, and a straight through muffler. The pulses that are "drones" are not from the exhaust as much as it is the specific vibration from the "surrounding" metals(floorboards, etc) at a certain RPM.

Turbulence
10-15-2007, 01:13 PM
Nope, find it then, ;)

Ok, I found your muffler at Magnaflow but they have a 5x11 oval thats 22" long and they say thats for RV's and such for more noise reduction.

Should I run just that one or use it with my current smaller Magnaflow?

That is the one I had on my Van. Still lots of drone with the 3 inch mandrel pipe. It's sitting in my garage waiting for who knows what (no more van). Want it?

Martin
89 Horizon
90 Sundance

overlordsshadow
10-15-2007, 01:14 PM
1+^ Ftw

Speedeuphoria
10-15-2007, 01:32 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=119077&postcount=17

haha, I allready searched and did not find anything where Simon said that, 2 other people mentioned that 16v didnt have drone issues.

turbovanmanČ
10-15-2007, 02:20 PM
That is the one I had on my Van. Still lots of drone with the 3 inch mandrel pipe. It's sitting in my garage waiting for who knows what (no more van). Want it?

Martin
89 Horizon
90 Sundance

Sure, PM me with the info, :nod:

haha, I allready searched and did not find anything where Simon said that, 2 other people mentioned that 16v didnt have drone issues.

Thanks guys, I found that last night but I figured I'd wait to see if Frank could find it, ;)

MiniMopar
10-15-2007, 04:24 PM
I ran the oval Ultraflo in the Daytona and it droned a lot. Put in a cat and it went away. The remaining "drone" was actually vibration from my poly engine mounts. Put in a stock mount by the trans and it helped.

The CSX has a 3" in, dual 2.5" out Super Turbo and it drones bad and sounds like an open downpipe when I am on the gas. Added a round Ultraflo in the cat location and it made is livable. i plan to put a cat there instead.

Frank
10-15-2007, 04:25 PM
I say you go with a CAT using your current Magnaflow. Put a cut out in.

turbovanmanČ
10-15-2007, 04:28 PM
I say you go with a CAT using your current Magnaflow. Put a cut out in.

Yeah, going to put it back in. Can't run a cutout at the street legals, we have a noise restriction.

contraption22
10-15-2007, 05:29 PM
In Simon's defense, I found a thread where he said (paraphrasing) "he would leave his exhaust alone until the 16v conversion", but it doesn't really say he is expecing the conversion to change the tone of the engine. However a couple of posts down another poster said that changing to a 16V removed the drone from his Daytona.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11036&page=3&highlight=drone

MiniMopar
10-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Drone is basically the exhaust hitting a resonant frequency of the passenger compartment. What effects it is going to vary from vehicle to vehicle.

Frank
10-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah, going to put it back in. Can't run a cutout at the street legals, we have a noise restriction.

You could use a cut out to bypass the cat... it doesnt even have to be a full 3" cutout.

Ondonti
10-16-2007, 06:06 AM
You could use a cut out to bypass the cat... it doesnt even have to be a full 3" cutout.So having 2 routes for exhaust to get to the rear muffler but the one through the cat is the only one that works until you open the cutout.....

Frank
10-16-2007, 06:27 AM
Thats the idea.

Vigo
10-16-2007, 07:09 PM
If only they made 3" mandrel bent glass pack tube

i swear to god my whole exhaust on everything i own would be made of that. imo glasspacks are the ---- because they are really quiet at low rpms and really loud at WOT. best of both worlds imo. also the climate around here doesnt make problems for them, they seem to last just fine on engines that are running right. of course turbo cars have a ton more heat energy in the exhaust than most others so its still a relative thing.

Drone is basically the exhaust hitting a resonant frequency of the passenger compartment. What effects it is going to vary from vehicle to vehicle.

YES! someone needs to put that at the top of a KC article on drone because so many people dont understand it.

moparzrule
10-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Umm, glass packs suck because they blow out. Fiberglass packing can't take the heat of any engine especially our engines. Every vehicle I've ever had them own has blown them out, from V8 engines to the N/A 2.5L in my dakota. The dynomax bullet muffler is ceramic packed, can handle anything and will never get any louder like a glass pack will.

Frank
10-16-2007, 07:46 PM
The Magnaflows use stainless steel packing.

moparzrule
10-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Yeah thats good stuff. I wasn't commenting on magnflows, they are good quality mufflers. Just cheapo glass packs AKA cherry bombs.

Frank
10-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Oh I know. I was just letting everyone know what they have. I burned out a Thrush glasspack on a V6!

Vigo
10-16-2007, 09:55 PM
guess ill just cross my fingers that my multiple old glasspacks keep on working. and my 200+k mile non rebuilt 604s too.

contraption22
10-16-2007, 10:10 PM

With that in mind, what are some ways reduce it asside from the aforementioned Dynamat type product?

My SRT-4 has a brown note at 27-2900 RPM, or right about 75mph. I can go 80 and its quiet... even more quiet at 90mph. Currently it has a Mopar/Borla exhaust from the turbo back, no cat. There is a large can-type thing in place of the cat, and a round glass-pack looking muffler in the tunnel. I was thinking about taking the twin pipes off the back and putting in a Camaro/Firebird type transverse Magnaflow in the back.

John B
10-17-2007, 03:14 AM
I have a 31" long Magnaflow 3" and a 3" Borla in series. It's still too loud. The only place left to patch in a resonator is the down pipe. I may try that next time it's off.

88_pacifica
10-17-2007, 07:51 AM
With that in mind, what are some ways reduce it asside from the aforementioned Dynamat type product?

My SRT-4 has a brown note at 27-2900 RPM, or right about 75mph. I can go 80 and its quiet... even more quiet at 90mph. Currently it has a Mopar/Borla exhaust from the turbo back, no cat. There is a large can-type thing in place of the cat, and a round glass-pack looking muffler in the tunnel. I was thinking about taking the twin pipes off the back and putting in a Camaro/Firebird type transverse Magnaflow in the back.

That's the million dollar question. Unfortunately, in my experience, there will always be a "drone" or frequency vibration at SOME point in the RPM range on every vehicle. As you "open up" the exhaust and remove the Cat you are permitting the frequencies to resonate even more so, as the overall amount of surface area of the exhaust and resonant "distance of travel" is increasing(inside diameter is larger).

It is much more difficult to try and find a particular series of tubes, pipes, mufflers, and Cats that will eliminate this effect. You can try to pacify it, but there will always be a drone of sorts. A turbo car exacerbates this effect as the exhaust pulses are even MORE disrupted traveling through the turbine wheel.

The best example of this is in modern cars. The reason it is less evident in newer cars is not the better exhaust designs or "higher quality" material or construction. It is due to better/more efficient "cabin insulation" and the more prevalent use of a sound deadening material. Whether it's a spray in, roll in, lay in, or stick-on "absorbent" material, the thickness of the sheetmetal has to be "increased" so to speak to resist the resonance. With the application of some additional "softer/absorbant" material in a few select places inside the car you can effectively control "drone." However, this can be done just in "areas highly susceptible" to vibration, rather than the whole cabin area(aka rear quarters, floor boards, and the firewall).

This may seem elementary, but this is crucial in making a 4 cylinder car much more "satisfactory" audibally, especially for those less inclined to appreciate the specific "fine engineering qualities" of our automobiles.... :nod::thumb::D

WLKivett
10-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Mike, how bad is this brown note:confused: , do you have to change shorts after each drive, or do you loose bowel control only on long trips?:o

Best Regards,
Landon Kivett

turbovanmanČ
10-17-2007, 12:47 PM

I guess the million dollar question is, how much performance do you want to loose? you could put a cheap generic muffler in and guaranteed, it won't resonate. I went thru this droning with my Diesel van, I got a good deal on a Dmax muffler-its a huge muffler, put it on, can't even hear the engine exhaust anymore and it hasn't seemed to affect performance.

I've also tried alot of Flowmasters over the years and the larger case SUV types don't drone.

I was talking to a undercoat place and they say it will help absorb noise etc and its fairly reasonable, I could probably get the whole rear floors, sides and hatch done for under $400. It would cost me that and more using Dynamat and similiar products.

I have a 31" long Magnaflow 3" and a 3" Borla in series. It's still too loud. The only place left to patch in a resonator is the down pipe. I may try that next time it's off.

How big, IE case size, is the Magnaflow?

moparzrule
10-17-2007, 03:28 PM
How big, IE case size, is the Magnaflow?

It's huge, and VERY heavy. I put one on the van we have at work (95 chevy G20). Sounds nice on a V8 anyway. But they are quite heavy.

Turbulence
10-17-2007, 03:51 PM
I just shipped my 5x11 oval 22 inch body magnaflo to Simon yesterday. With the box (cardboard and plastic filler) it was 15.615 kilograms (~ 34 lbs).

Darn thing was HEAVY!

Martin
89 Horizon
90 Sundance

mcsvt
10-17-2007, 04:55 PM
I love the sound of the glasspack on my car, cheap worked great for me :) It's all the way out back, so I don't know if that has protected it some, but it's fine for now and I'm not swapping it out :)

edit:
On topic, 3" SV all the way back, mandrel bent, 3" cat, 3" glasspack, zero drone, I drive this car distances all the time and most the time I have the radio off to enjoy the noises it makes.

moparzrule
10-17-2007, 05:42 PM
I just shipped my 5x11 oval 22 inch body magnaflo to Simon yesterday. With the box (cardboard and plastic filler) it was 15.615 kilograms (~ 34 lbs).

Darn thing was HEAVY!

Martin
89 Horizon
90 Sundance

Oh thats the small one, I put the 5X14X31'' on the van. Must have been 40-50 lbs or so. Thats some serious unneeded weight on a turbo dodge IMHO, screw the quiet exhaust I'm saving weight LOL.

whywoody
10-18-2007, 12:26 AM
Simon,I hated that drone with my van too.I found that idling over the pit at work made the exhaust noise calm down huge,made me wonder if a twin walled exhaust was built if the resonance would be contained.
I swaped the auto out for a 3.50fd 523,resonance problem has near gone now as the engine rarely sits at that +/-3k range.

turbovanmanČ
10-18-2007, 02:12 AM
I know its not my turbo van but just did a bit of work on my diesel van tonight, It has metal panels underneath with fiberglass on top, there is aprox 6 of them to deaden the diesel drone. I had removed 3 of them to install my Minivan bench seat-never again, but anyhow, I put them back in tonight and what a difference, its almost eerily quiet inside now, especially on the highway.

So my idea of sound matting or undercoating the floor and panels should almost eliminate it, :amen:

turbovanmanČ
10-23-2007, 11:35 PM
I just put on the large muffler from Turbulence, in the stock location, left my small Magnaflow on the rear and holy crap, what a difference, you can't even hear it idle, its eerie. Its so quiet in and out, tiny amount of drone on the highway at a certain rpm but totally liveable.

The bad, it definately hurt off idle, its a bit soggy before boost and I lost 2 psi but I can live with it. :thumb:

Turbulence
10-25-2007, 10:45 PM
cool, glad it worked out for you.

Interesting about the loss of 2 psi with two 3 inch mufflers. Does it impact the total boost you can run...2 psi less at the top?

Nice to know that parts off of the Fridge (my old white van) have the potential to break into the 12s...or less :D

Martin
89 Horizon
90 Sundance

MiniMopar
10-25-2007, 10:55 PM
It's that back pressure that is making it quiet. Can't really have it both ways.

turbovanmanČ
10-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Well not touching boost controller, I lost 2 psi so I guess on top.

Turbulence
10-25-2007, 11:16 PM
It's that back pressure that is making it quiet. Can't really have it both ways.

I understand, I just find it interesting that an additional 3 inch Magnaflow, granted a rather large one (offset inlet/outlet) decreases boost by 2 psi.

Well not touching boost controller, I lost 2 psi so I guess on top.

My concern is can you make up for it, or at max boost for your set up do you now lose 2 psi (e.g., 27 psi versus 29 psi)? This could result in issues at the track when going for the elusive 11.99 :D.

turbovanmanČ
10-26-2007, 01:13 AM

Exactly, and I don't mind, I'll just give it more boost, ;)

I understand, I just find it interesting that an additional 3 inch Magnaflow, granted a rather large one (offset inlet/outlet) decreases boost by 2 psi.

Its still almost a straight thru design but due to the length and size, it will add some backpressure.

My concern is can you make up for it, or at max boost for your set up do you now lose 2 psi (e.g., 27 psi versus 29 psi)? This could result in issues at the track when going for the elusive 11.99 :D.

Yep, I'll just give it more boost. If Terry can run 11's with a stock 8 valve, I can run it with a highly modded TIII, :amen:

Ondonti
10-28-2007, 07:06 PM
pull off that muffler at the track and put a pipe on.

turbovanmanČ
10-28-2007, 09:02 PM
pull off that muffler at the track and put a pipe on.

Can't have open exhaust, sound rules.

moparzrule
10-28-2007, 09:09 PM

WHAT!!! OK it's official, canada sucks......J/K :lol:

turbovanmanČ
10-28-2007, 09:24 PM
WHAT!!! OK it's official, canada sucks......J/K :lol:

Its a really long story but the cliff notes are the track is located close to homes, people complain so at the street legals, which can run to 11 pm, they have us run mufflers to appeas the locals. Weekends and weekdays, its loud as can be. Its like the friggin morons that move next to an airport then complain about the airplane noise? :confused: :censored:

boost geek
10-28-2007, 11:57 PM

They told me that too at tech, when I got into the pits I took my cap off, no one noticed. Turbo cars aint that loud with open exhaust, compared to a Honda with a fart can.:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
10-28-2007, 11:59 PM
They told me that too at tech, when I got into the pits I took my cap off, no one noticed. Turbo cars aint that loud with open exhaust, compared to a Honda with a fart can.:thumb:

I agree, if you have stock turbo and .48 housing. I have tried open exhaust with mine, its too loud, you can hear me miles away, :clap:

moparzrule
10-29-2007, 06:30 AM

What turbo are you running? Because mine's freaking ridiculous it sounds loud as a all out drag car running open headers when I'm in WOT at 5000+ RPM's. And thats with the exhaust out the back, which sounds a lot quieter when you are in the car versus a side exit exhaust. Now don't get me wrong when just driving around and idling it's decent, it's just those higher RPM's that really make it scream. I'd say anything 4K+ it's really really loud. I have a stage 3 .63 turbine though.

boost geek
10-29-2007, 07:25 PM
I run the stock turbo, I find if I take my cap off on the street, it does sound loud, but at the track in the grandstands, it doesn't seem loud at all compared to other cars, There are other cars in the sport compact class that art WAY louder than mine.
My buddies Mustang sounds super loud when he comes over with it, but at the track, I was suprised how quiet it actually is...
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/boostgeek/100_1347.jpg

moparzrule
10-29-2007, 08:03 PM
At the track it's just a huge open area with nothing for the sound waves to bounce off of. In town the sound waves reflect off the houses and buildings making it seem louder. Hope that makes sense.
I don't like fox body mustangs, most because of the mentality of the people that drive them. Same thing with powerstroke owners, must be a ford thing I dunno.

boost geek
10-29-2007, 08:33 PM
The funny part is, if Mother Mopar made the Fox body Mustang, in mid 80s, in rwd, it would have been one of the greatest vehicles ever built.
I think it's true about the sound bouncing off buildings though...:D

moparzrule
10-29-2007, 10:15 PM
I don't think a car that you have to put a cage in with any more than 400 HP to keep it from twisting like a pretzel is one of the greatest cars ever made.
Friend of my brothers put a 347 stroker in his, probably about 450 HP. Now normally he never got traction so it wasn't a problem. But the one time he did, twisted so bad the firewall split open from the rest of the body and he could see the ground. Sweeeet.....not. Problem was I guess it wasn't the almighty 302, which has a lot less torque than a 347...but whatever.

Sorry, mustang owners have scorned me for life. Which is why it is soooooo damn sweet to eat them alive everytime I see one revving his engine thinking his 5.oh is god of all engines and his car is unbeatable. Man I love beating mustangs, and it's even better to rub their faces in it. But there's usually some excuse, I've heard too many and I think it's only gonna piss me off more by saying them so I guess I'm done ranting now LOL.

Ondonti
10-29-2007, 11:42 PM

YOU ALREADY HAVE A MUFFLER ON THE CAR. FOR RACING REMOVE THE HUGE ONE THAT CAUSES THE BIG BOOST LOSS.

You already ran the car in its previous setup. I didnt say run open exhaust.

I didnt think I had to be that specific.

BTW if your car doesnt sound like a supra under boost then it doesnt sound like a real turbo car :D

boost geek
10-29-2007, 11:57 PM
I didn't mean to come across as they were the greatest car made, but they probably would have been to us Mopar fans if Dodge would have built a car like this in the 80s, because we had nothing decent in rwd. Our cars don't twist because we just break our tires loose on half that power. If they built a rwd 2.2 turbo car I would certainly own at least one, as well as most people on this forum. Dodge should of at least mass produced the rwd Daytona, as they already had the design and limited quantities of coversion parts built. Guess I'll just have to pursue my rwd conversion, would be easier though if Dodge would have made more 2.2/904 trannys.:confused:

PS, I still love fox bodies, especially the SVO...:)

moparzrule
10-30-2007, 06:46 AM
I see your point. If dodge would have made it I would probably have like it as well because I only hate the people that have them not the car.
Why are you going automatic? Just find an AX15 tranny out of a dakota! What tranny were in automatic 2.5L dakota's anyway? Should be a 904 right?

turbovanmanČ
10-30-2007, 12:33 PM
YOU ALREADY HAVE A MUFFLER ON THE CAR. FOR RACING REMOVE THE HUGE ONE THAT CAUSES THE BIG BOOST LOSS.

You already ran the car in its previous setup. I didnt say run open exhaust.

I didnt think I had to be that specific.

BTW if your car doesnt sound like a supra under boost then it doesnt sound like a real turbo car :D

To undo the large muffler, I'd have to cut it out, weld in new pipe and do that all summer. Nah, I can run my times with it, if not, I'll build a cutout with a bullet muffler, :clap:

boost geek
10-30-2007, 08:09 PM
I dont think the 2.5 Dakota ever came with an auto, just a weak 5 manual.

moparzrule
10-30-2007, 11:04 PM
No there was an auto, I've seen an automatic 2.5 dakota before. Must be very few thats for sure. The 5 speed isn't that weak. Espeically 92-95 got the AX-15. But even the older NV2500's weren't that bad. Actually a guy on TD.com ran a 2.2 with a holset turbo on his and was making 330 WHP on the NV2500 tranny in his dakota.

Ondonti
10-31-2007, 01:09 AM
To undo the large muffler, I'd have to cut it out, weld in new pipe and do that all summer. Nah, I can run my times with it, if not, I'll build a cutout with a bullet muffler, :clap:
nobody told you to weld it ;) You could have just used some of those exhaust band clamps.

turbovanmanČ
10-31-2007, 03:41 AM
nobody told you to weld it ;) You could have just used some of those exhaust band clamps.

Nah, welding equals no leaks, :clap:

Ondonti
10-31-2007, 03:42 AM
no leaks = no adventure

turbovanmanČ
10-31-2007, 12:27 PM
no leaks = no adventure

Hahaha, I've had too many "adventures" already, :o

Polygon
11-16-2007, 03:45 PM
If only they made 3" mandrel bent glass pack tube :rolleyes:

Sounds like you just need a bigger chamber straight thru type muffler... maybe Dynomax or Gibson makes a larger volume straight thru oval than the Magnaflow one you have?

I have a Dynomax Race Bullet on my 3" system right after the cat and I have no drone up hills or at any speed, plus it sounds great and it's cheap. My father has a Magnaflow on his Hemi Jeep and it drones HORRIBLY expecially up hills and at 80mph.