PDA

View Full Version : I did it, rear disc on a mini

A.J.
02-12-2006, 09:54 PM
I finished today. Rear disc off of an '89 Lebaron (master, prop valve and rear disc assembly) onto an '88 Caravan. I don't have time to do a proper write up right now. To be brief, I made an adaptor plate, bolted it to the van, then the disc assembly to the plate. 22 hours of work not including time in the junkyard. I can't figure out how to attach pictures on this forum either. Can someone explain how to do it.

A.J.

cordes
02-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Nice work. I know there will be many people eagerly awaiting the pics. and write-up.:thumb:

turbovanmanČ
02-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Awesome, thats what I was going to do but haven't got around to it yet.

You didn't need to swap Master Cylinders though, we already have the large 24mm stock, :thumb:

To host pics, go to www.photobucket.com and there, you can upload and link them here. I am also moving it to the fabrication section.

How does it stop?

Dave
02-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Why did it take you so long?

Didnt you really only have to swap prop. valve, rear discs and pads (hardware) and the axle's adapter plate?

turbovanmanČ
02-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Why did it take you so long?

Didnt you really only have to swap prop. valve, rear discs and pads (hardware) and the axle's adapter plate?

Bryan, oh young Bryan, I have told you this before, its NOT a bolt on affair, stuff needs to be modified, adapted. The e-brake cables and brake hoses all need to be modded and rerouted etc.

A.J.
02-13-2006, 10:35 PM
You didn't need to swap Master Cylinders though, we already have the large 24mm stock, :thumb:

I wasn't sure about that so I just swapped everything. I got the whole package for $100 from the junkyard.

How does it stop?[/QUOTE]

I stops a little better. The pedal is firmer. There was a lot of crap built up in the calipers. I blew out what I could. At the end of the week I'm going to flush the system again.

I'm still working on the write up. Two pages done, more to go.

A.J.

turbovanmanČ
02-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Sweet, thanks.

I am going to have a machine shop friend weld the holes up and redrill, he said it wouldn't be that expensive, :thumb: unless your way is much easier.

Guys, please keep this on topic, Minivan rear discs, thankyou, :nod:

A.J.
02-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Simon,
If you have someone that can fill the holes and redrill do it. I can't drill straight enough so I made adaptor plates on my drill press. Also I used the adaptor plates to lift my van in the rear to match my front lift.

I'm almost done with the write up

A.J.

turbovanmanČ
02-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Sweet. I know the discs sit in 1/2 inch so a plate is still needed to keep the correct backspacing.

A.J.
03-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Here's some pics.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/thebest4/adaptplate1.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/thebest4/platedbolted1.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/thebest4/platebolted2.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/thebest4/spindlebolted.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/thebest4/completebolted.jpg
A.J.

turbovanmanČ
03-07-2006, 01:28 AM
Awesome job, you've basically done it the way I wanted, except because you made it a bolt on affair, you had to lower the spindle and then used the leaf spring spacer to bring it back up. Hmmmmmmmmmmm, that might be another way to lower the van without touching the leaf springs!:amen: :thumb:

BTW, how thick is that block under the leaf spring? is it back to stock height after you were done?

Garret
03-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Any thoughts about reproducing those blocks ;)

A.J.
03-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Simon,
I lifted my van two inches in the front. The spacers were used to level it out UNTILL I made the adaptor plates. The leaf spring spacers cam out after I made the rear disc adaptor plates because those became my rear lift.

Garret,
If your referring to the leaf spring spacers, I didn't make them. They came with the van. If your referring to the rear disc adaptor plates, they took me five hours a piece to make then another six hours aside to make them work for a total of 22 hours of work. I'm a professional auto tech and I charge $40 an hour on the side. Do the math and nobody would buy them.

I'm trying to post my 3 1/2 page write up with more pictures but it's too long. I'm trying to figure out a way or a place to do it.

A.J.

turbovanmanČ
03-08-2006, 02:47 AM
Honestly A.J, you don't need much of a write up, the pics pretty well sum it up.

So the adapter plates lifted your back end, aprox how much and why did you lift your van? There too high stock, :(

A.J.
03-08-2006, 11:02 PM
First off I needed a pick-up truck, but I figured a mini was more usefull. Besides Dodge didn't make a turbo pick-up. I didn't build a turbo mini for handling/racing. I'm going to build a Daytona for that when I find the right one. I lifted my van to go praire dog hunting off road. The trails we go on you could take a car but the more clearance the better. I made spacers that lifted the front two inches. They go in between the top of the strut and the strut tower. The back seemed like it was already lifted an inch with the leaf springs it had, so the rear disc spacers I made only lifted it an inch more. Now it sits level. I have ten inches of clearance between the ground and the K member, and eight inches of clearance between the ground and the rear axle.

A.J.

turbovanmanČ
03-09-2006, 02:39 AM
Sweet, you should post pics of the van, :thumb:

So your spacers lift the back end an inch, interesting. :eyebrows:

TheGinMill
03-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Sweet, you should post pics of the van, :thumb:

So your spacers lift the back end an inch, interesting. :eyebrows:

No doubt, pics would be sweet, need a host, Email em to me, Ill host em up for ya. . . . Or make you an account, as I did for good ol Simon. :p

So, if Im thinkin right, a mirror of them flanges will keep the tapped holes lined up where they need to be, and the plain holes where they should be, but lowering it about an inch or so instead of liftin like the PD huntin mobile. Hmmmmmmm, maybe the Omni search can wait a lil longer afterall :thumb:

Clay
03-14-2006, 05:06 PM
I dont suppose you made any drawings of the plates you made with dimensions?? If you did, I could, or someone could, make up a print to take to a shop and have them made.

clay

turbovanmanČ
03-14-2006, 05:23 PM
So, if Im thinkin right, a mirror of them flanges will keep the tapped holes lined up where they need to be, and the plain holes where they should be, but lowering it about an inch or so instead of liftin like the PD huntin mobile. Hmmmmmmm, maybe the Omni search can wait a lil longer afterall :thumb:

Won't work, if you look at the way the old spindle bolts up and the new smaller diameter version, theres no room so you can't lower the van this way, :(

Clay
03-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Why not? Drill the "new" spindle bolt holes up so the top holes are ABOVE the bolt heads in the picture, and you should be good to go.

You would have to put the top bolts in from the back side, and then the bottom bolts could go in from the outside, but I dont see why it wouldnt work.

clay

turbovanmanČ
03-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Why not? Drill the "new" spindle bolt holes up so the top holes are ABOVE the bolt heads in the picture, and you should be good to go.

You would have to put the top bolts in from the back side, and then the bottom bolts could go in from the outside, but I dont see why it wouldnt work.

clay

Theres no more flange on the van. So if you were to do it, the top 2 bolts would only be held in using the adapter flange. Not very safe I would think.

TurboMinivan
04-07-2006, 01:39 AM
I'm trying to post my 3 1/2 page write up with more pictures but it's too long. I'm trying to figure out a way or a place to do it.

I'll be happy to host it at www.TurboMinivan.com for you. I have more storage space than I know what to do with, and it only seems natural to put your info where other van owners can easily find it. :thumb:

If you're interested, let me know.

-Dempsey

A.J.
04-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Dempsey,
Definitely. I tried to e-mail you before to ask if you wanted to post it but i'm to sure what happened. Either post your e-mail address or send it to me at thebest4@cox.net and I'll send you the write up and pictures.

A.J.

Clay
04-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Theres no more flange on the van. So if you were to do it, the top 2 bolts would only be held in using the adapter flange. Not very safe I would think.

Im talking about the bolt holes on the adapter. You can put them anywhere on the adapter you want to position the new spindle where ever you want it.

GLHNSLHT2
10-25-2007, 10:23 PM
is the writeup posted anywhere yet?

turbovanmanČ
10-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Nope.

A.J.
12-27-2007, 09:07 PM
My write-up has been in the knowledge center since before Thanksgiving waiting for approval. Simon, are you holding it up because you don't want me to show you up? My e-brake still works great.

A.J.

Frank
12-27-2007, 09:09 PM
My write-up has been in the knowledge center since before Thanksgiving waiting for approval. Simon, are you holding it up because you don't want me to show you up? My e-brake still works great.

A.J.

Wow, many apologies. It will be up soon enough. Give me about 15!

Frank
12-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Finished! Sorry for the delay!

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vbarticles.php?do=article&articleid=75

turbovanmanČ
12-28-2007, 01:32 AM

A.J.

Not my call, I have no power on KC articles, :o

Thanks for the kind words though, :(

A.J.
12-28-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm sorry Simon. Do you wanna hug. I've got some hugs left over from Christmas. :-)

A.J.

Vigo
12-28-2007, 06:21 PM
lol how cute.

turbovanmanČ
12-28-2007, 10:01 PM
I'm sorry Simon. Do you wanna hug. I've got some hugs left over from Christmas. :-)

A.J.

Nah, I'll take money instead, :nod:

minigts
02-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Is there any concern about the weight of the car causing some stress on the area right where the knuckle kinda hits the leaf springs? I mean since there isn't support at the top, I would be concerned it would eventually bend even though there is a support in the middle. Not sure if I am missing anything or if the parts are just that strong?

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/thebest4/platebolted2.jpg

A.J.
02-09-2008, 08:55 PM
That's not a problem. I load my van up pretty heavy and I've never had a problem. Look up "Why I have a winch in my van" in this section to see what I put in it every weekend.

A.J.