PDA

View Full Version : The "Cheap" way

Wink
02-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Please someone answer this for me......

... Why, when someone decides to save a buck or two, does it usually cost more than if you were to actually do an upgrade?:confused:

Today, I replaced my rear brake shoes, and had the drums turned to save a few bucks (that and it would have been a few days until the drums would have been in town after ordering them).

Instead of only spending $25 total on parts and machining, I wound up spending about $30 more than if I were to have purchased disks, pads, hoses, and E-brake cables for my future rear disk swap. As I was tearing apart the right brake, I noticed that I had a snapped spring. So, it's back to the parts store for a drum brake hardware kit. Since I usually change everything by the axle, when I do brakes, I got the kit to service both sides. (Don't ask me why. It's just an Obsessive/Compulsive issue I seem to have.)

Ok, I've got all my parts and I proceede to install everything on the right side. Only to notice that the inner bearing is shot. Oh for the love of God!!!!! Why me? So I go back to the parts store for an inner bearing, inner seal, outer bearing, more bearing grease and a bearing packing attachment for my grease gun. I get home and complete the right side. Ok now I'm parched. Grab a choice beverage and relax for about 15 minutes.

Time to work on the left side. I get everything apart in good time. And since I had the spring kit, I had everything I needed for the job this time as well.

I get it all together and start to bleed the brakes. As I'm bleeding the rear right brake, I'm hearing a cow pissing on a flat rock. Damnit all!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: There's brake fluid coming from the left drum assembly. So I tear it all apart and what do I find????? The damn wheel cylinder is leaking at both ends. I guess that's what I get for thinking I was doing a good job.

So I'm off to the parts store once again. Yea, these guys are knowing me by name now. Anyway, since I've got that damn obsessive/compulsive issue, I get two wheel cylinders. I get back home again, and proceede to replace the left wheel cylinder. I'm thinking, "Finnaly, something is going right." Well, guess what. I spoke too soon. The outer wheel bearing on the left side decides to crack. Damn those plastic outer retainers!!!!!!!!

Back to the parts store I get another outer bearing. And While I'm at it, I might as well get the inner bearing and seal too. And I do just that. I guess I should have purchased them earlier when I got the right side bearings and seals.

Anyway, to make a long story not as long as it could be. To save myself some dough this week, I spent more than if I would have just proceeded with the rear disk swap.

Is this just me? Or does this happen to other folks as well?

Wink

turbovanmanČ
02-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Hahhhahaa, that gave me a great laugh, sorry wink, :lol:

But yeah, it happens, your the prime example why price quotes don't work. I do it for a living and people phone all the time and I have to say, no idea, it could be x amount and up. Educated people bring the car in, dumbass's phone around until they get the price answer they want to hear.

BTW, replacing wheel cylinders and calipers in pairs is the norm, :thumb:

deuce dodge
02-15-2006, 10:54 PM
LOL WINK

that was me last spring..........:)

but i had to try cheep.....i was dead broke........and every snafu was a punch in the guts......friends really helped me out big time..........

now i have new and better job......and some really good friends........

hang in there
deuce

Wink
02-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Well, everything was for nothing.

The motor caught fire today. And it's looking like it's a total loss.

I posted the event in the "HELP" section.

Wink

tryingbe
02-20-2006, 02:14 AM
Yeah, that sucked...

Put all the bearings/brake stuff up for sale, I'm sure somebody will buy them.