PDA

View Full Version : Code 13 Won't Go Away!

Dr.Evil
10-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Alright this is starting to get irritating, figured I would post up my problem, hopefully someone has an idea or has delt with this before.

Friday I get a check engine light, idle jumps up and its stumbles from a stop. Otherwise runs fine. Wideband reading richer than normal.
Check codes, get a 53 and a 13 (53 is normal for a car w/ a cal, or so Im told) Code 13 = MAP sensor issue. Check the connection, seems fine. I have a 3-bar on the car which I adapted and spliced into the existing 2-bar wires. Left original 2-bar connector in place if I have to swap back. Been running fine like this for 5K miles. First thing I did was cut out piggy backed 2-bar connector and wire it straight into existing harness. No help.
Replace 3-bar Sensor with new MSD 3-bar from summit. No help.
Replace solenoid MAP sensor is connected to, no help
Replace line from MAP to solenoid even though it looked fine, no help.
Replaced line from manifold to solenoid with silicone even though I already replaced it once with silicone, no help.
Checked for vac leaks, none found/no help

The strange part is, its fine when its cold. I can drive it down the freeway then as soon as it warms up and I come to a stop at a light, CE kicks on, A/F goes pig rich, idle drops/jumps up, noticable smoke out the pipe and it stumbles to get going, but seems to run fine once moving. If I turn the car off and back on again while warm, its fine for about ten seconds, then the CE comes on, smoke, poor idle, bad AF, and stumble from a stop.

So what am I missing here? What else could it be? Checked the FPR for a leak as suggested at mini mopar and it seems to be dry/fine.

Any ideas would be great.

BTW car is a 1991 Spirit RT with Cindy's Stage 3 cal/related hardware/3" DP&exhaust/Big IC/Alky injection

Turbodave
10-09-2007, 07:12 PM
You've already gone through most of what I would have suggested, I've had a number of thes caused by leaky fuel pressure regulators letting fuel into the vacuum lines, but it sounds like you've already checked that. The poor running once the check engine light comes on is probably due to the computer going into limp-mode, which I imagine is not a very happy place on a custom cal. Have you got a scan tool that will let you view the MAP output while driving the car?

Dr.Evil
10-09-2007, 07:21 PM
You've already gone through most of what I would have suggested, I've had a number of thes caused by leaky fuel pressure regulators letting fuel into the vacuum lines, but it sounds like you've already checked that. The poor running once the check engine light comes on is probably due to the computer going into limp-mode, which I imagine is not a very happy place on a custom cal. Have you got a scan tool that will let you view the MAP output while driving the car?

Unfortunatly I don't. I will try getting a vac signal to the MAP sensor from a different source that isn't attached to the FPR in any way and see if that helps. After that I have no idea. Last ditch effort is to replace the electrical connector to the MAP sensor but I HIGHLY doubt thats the problem.

Turbodave
10-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Any changes to made to the car before this happened?

Usually the electrical issues result in a code 14, and that in tune with the fact that the car has been running the 3 bar setup for 5k miles without issue makes me agree with out on not thinking it's an electrical issue.

Trying a dedicated vacuum source to the Baro solenoid is a good idea, some cars seem to be picky about this, particularly with some of the aftermarket vacuum blocks for some reason.

Dr.Evil
10-09-2007, 07:31 PM
I installed a Zex kit but never tried it. It was on the first trip to town after putting the kit on. I have sence removed everything that has to do with the nitrous and it still has the problem. I'll hook it up to its own port right off the intake and see if that helps.

Dr.Evil
10-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Weird, relocating the vac line to a dedicated source on the intake seemed to have fixed it. How strange is that? Talk about being picky on where the MAP gets it signal from!! :D

Turbodave
10-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Weird, relocating the vac line to a dedicated source on the intake seemed to have fixed it. How strange is that? Talk about being picky on where the MAP gets it signal from!! :D

Glad you've got it working, that code 13 has got me number of times and it is a picky one about that map signal, that's for sure.

BIGBRUDDA
10-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Search for vac leak once the motor is hot.
Carefully spray carb cleaner :nx: around the manifold and associated vac tubing. All they way to the solenoids on the fender. Listen for RPM surge.
It happened to my daughters car.:mecry: I didn't find it til I got mad :mad: and beat the crap outa the solenoids , map sensor, ripped out all the tubing.:banghead: