PDA

View Full Version : Codes and smoking a bit.

The S is Silent
02-12-2006, 03:54 PM
The van is beginning to aggravate me. When it's cold, alternator belt squeeks like crazy...I think I just need to tighten it. The van also smokes a bit. I swapped out my fuel rail, and thought I had the problem solved, but now it's back. It worries me...I don't want to fry the bearings and/or unseat the rings from running rich as hell.

Codes are:
33 - Air conditioning relay...I don't have A/C, so no problem
35 - Cooling fan relay...I have it on a manual switch, so no problem
42 - Automatic shutdown relay circuit open or shorted
Fuel pump relay control circuit
Fuel level unit - no change over miles
OR
Z1 voltage missing when autoshutdown circuit energized (SEE NOTE #6)
What does all this mean??? What is this indicating, I've never gotten this code before.

47 - Battery voltage too low and alternator output too low...I think this is just because my belt is squeeking badly.

Do any of these codes relate to smoking on startup or high idle at startup?

iTurbo
02-13-2006, 12:08 AM
I don't see how any of those codes would be cause or indicate a smoking issue. Is the smoke you are seeing black from running too rich? Or oil smoke (bluish)?

Usually the car won't run at all if there is a problem with the ASD relay. I recently had this code on my Omni ('89 turbo Caravan electronics), and the relay was working but had so much corrosion inside of it that it wouldn't allow power to pass through the contacts, so I had no power for the fuel pump, ignition coil etc......No run/start.

I have always had high idle at startup, but this is probably due to the fact that my SMEC is for an auto, and I'm using a manual trans.

The S is Silent
02-13-2006, 12:32 AM
It's not black smoke, and it's not bluish...it's more like white. I put my hand up to the tailpipe, and it was like dirty water. Would I get more water in my exhaust system if my exhaust donut doesn't seat right?

I'm not sure...and I want to be completely sure. I don't really want to screw up the motor.

iTurbo
02-13-2006, 12:38 AM
Is your turbo OK? Any shaft play?

I once had a turbo die on my Shadow ES and I had tons of white stinky smoke out the tailpipe on cold startup. It wouldn't smoke immediately, but it would start filling the parking lot after a few minutes. Strangely, after a short drive, most of the smoking would stop. I checked the turbo for shaft play and found LOTS.

The S is Silent
02-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Is your turbo OK? Any shaft play?

I once had a turbo die on my Shadow ES and I had tons of white stinky smoke out the tailpipe on cold startup. It wouldn't smoke immediately, but it would start filling the parking lot after a few minutes. Strangely, after a short drive, most of the smoking would stop. I checked the turbo for shaft play and found LOTS.

Well crap. That's what mine sounds like...exactly. I'll check next time I'm working on the cars.

How hard to change a turbo with the engine still in the van? I know this has been covered before...but I just wanted to ask. At least I have a good spare lying around my garage.

dwh4784
02-13-2006, 12:51 AM
It's not that hard, me and a couple friends did it and it was probably easier than pulling the head(and you don't have to buy a new gasket/bolts). Especially if the turbo has been off recently and the 4 nuts will break loose easily. We also had braided stainless lines that were recently installed so those weren't hard to get off. It was kinda tricky to find a way to get it out but I believe it came out from the top...under the TB. We had one guy underneath and one up top.

EAGLEGCIL
02-16-2006, 08:53 AM
what engine does it have, and what year is the engine? on the 3.0L V6, they are common to drop a valve guide and makes them smoke, i have one on my mini that is doing that, and i desperately have to fix it... mine happens to be on the rear driver's side cylinder... why couldn't it he on the front side of engine, where it's in the open... Sheesh... anyway, if you got a 3.0, try checking your valve guides. Just an FYI for 3.0 owners. i know it's not related to this post, but decided to post it anyway... :)

The S is Silent
02-16-2006, 11:54 AM
No, it's a 2.2 TII. I think it's the turbo...I need to check out the shaft, but that's not my number one concern anymore...I need to figure out what is wrong with my starter :(

I think the one I put in two months ago is sticking again.

cordes
02-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Wow, that is a real kick in the pants. My turbo went under the same circumstances. white smoke after the turbo had warmed up enough to burn the oil.

+1 for being able to pull the turbo with the head on if it has been off recently. Otherwise, you would be very wise to pull the head.

t3rse
02-16-2006, 01:47 PM
pulling the head is so damn easy, and I've a spare a gasket if you need it (2k6). Any exhaust leaks under the hood? that's what killed my last starter. I have a spare starter too that needs a silenoid.

The S is Silent
02-16-2006, 02:52 PM
pulling the head is so damn easy, and I've a spare a gasket if you need it (2k6). Any exhaust leaks under the hood? that's what killed my last starter. I have a spare starter too that needs a silenoid.

I might take you up on the spare gasket. The motor was a gamble from the start...it was a junkyard drop-in, so I probably should have checked it out before hand. Oh well.

Now that you mention the exhaust leak...I think I may have one. I just re-used the exhaust do-nut that was on the car, and I don't think it ever seated. What would it sound like? On a hard decel, it sounds kind of like my exhaust is dragging through gravel.

I might as well pull the head and change the turbo, starter, and head gasket all at once. Will a 3" DP fit with a 2.5" SV?

How much do you want for the head gasket, and what are you doing for the next couple of days? I could definitely use a hand with all the lifting. Does the exhaust kill the starter, or the solenoid? If it just kills the solenoid, I have a few spare starters lying around that would work. Is the starter off an 86 charger the same as one off an 89 van, because I have one of those readily accessible.

Mario
02-16-2006, 03:03 PM
A 3" Downpipe will fit a 2.5" 02 Housing.

t3rse
02-16-2006, 03:51 PM
kills the soleniod. i'll be around-working on the car. give me a call.

The S is Silent
02-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Well, I started taking things apart today...and the turbo has almost no shaft play. I was expecting a lot...but evidently not. Is there anything else that could cause the engine to smoke when cold? I don't even know if it is smoke...it doesn't look blue, and it doesn't look black. Plugs are fine, so I don't think I'm rich. If the exhaust donut isn't seated correctly, could I get a LOT of water vapor in the exhaust on a cold night?

I'm not overheating or showing any signs of a blown headgasket. What do ya'll think the problem is?

t3rse
02-17-2006, 01:12 AM
like what is a LOT? my car shoots volcanic ash starting in this weather (metaphorically speaking of course). my head is a little worn and will soon be replaced. btw, donuts cost like 10 bucks, replace it (i know becuase I bought another one today).

The S is Silent
02-17-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm definitely going to get another donut while I'm under the car putting the old starter back in...with a heat shield this time.

cordes
02-17-2006, 09:27 PM
It might be wise to do a compression check on your mystery motor before you pull the head off.

The S is Silent
02-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Lol...I thought about that, but first I have to put the starter back in. I'm going to see if putting the new exhaust donut will seal it better and prevent moisture from condensing in the exhaust on a cold night. Maybe that's why it's smoking. ..who knows. Then I'll go with a compression test.