PDA

View Full Version : Shifter Cable end Bellows?

ssheen
02-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Anyone ever find replacements for the rubber bellows on the end of the shifter cables?

Boogieman142
02-13-2006, 04:42 PM
I made this when i replaced my bushings, it cost me like $3.19, these bushings have a awesome feel to them as compared to the oem ones. These have been on my car with a 543 tranny and i have no complaints, just remember to use the clips to hold the cable on. This will tell you how to make the small ones, for the large ones, you can use them as is, just remove the brass core.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/Boogieman142/Howtomakebushings.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/Boogieman142/e0f2e80e.jpg

Subliminal
02-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Boogieman,

That's a great little write-up you've got there. Looks like it works nice, and best of all..it's cheap!

However, the OP asked about the bellows, which are the rubber part that covers the end of the cable itself, rather than the connector on the end of the cable. If the bellows gets a hole in it, it will allow water into your cable, and the cable freezes when it's cold. Which is no good. :)

Boogieman142
02-13-2006, 06:35 PM
so, i'm guessing that it is the boot now, it wasn't very specific so i just asumed that it was the cable bushings, thats what most people have issues with, if the bellows have a small hole in them then you could use some rubber cement and fill them in with it.

GLHSKEN
02-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Boogieman. I'd be mar than happy to move your post ot the FAQ section, Great write-up

Boogieman142
02-13-2006, 10:57 PM
ok, thats fine, i don't mind at all, i was told that it could be done but nobody would tell me how so i experimented a little and figured it out, they work great.

ssheen
02-15-2006, 01:27 AM
I was actually referring to the bellows not the bushings. Though, if it was the bushing I would look at the booger ones. :D

The bellows are past the point of being fixable, hence the question. All I am finding is stuff in India.

Boogieman142
02-15-2006, 01:56 AM
Yes i know, i figured that out, well, if ur going to use the booger ones, just a tip, the hole on the bigger one is not quite big enough to go over the pin on the tranny you will need to enlarge it in order for it to work, by the way, why use the booger ones when you can get some for 3.19

ssheen
02-15-2006, 12:36 PM
It was just one those wish list things. Perhaps I need to update my list. :D The price of your setup is hard to ignore. ;)

Anyways, anyone find a source for the bellows?

Clay
02-15-2006, 02:56 PM
If someone can get me the following sizes for the bellows, I can probalby source one.

I. Inside Diameter (or Outside diameter of the inner cable)

II. Outside Diameter of the bellows

III. length (collapsed and expanded)

If not, I have a brand new shadow shifter cable at home that I can work with.

ssheen
02-15-2006, 04:27 PM
I have a spare set of cables sitting my bench in the garage. I will go have a look and get back to you.

ssheen
02-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Clay, I tooks some measurements from the cables I have here. They are two different sizes. Measurements are in inches (figured you were in the US), but I can do them in metric if that is better.

Bellow 1 has 12 'ribs'
Compressed Ribs are 1 1/2 and the whole thing is 2 3/4

Expanded the whole thing is 5 1/2
The cable looks to be 3/8 and the Ribs 7/8

Bellows 2 has 6 ribs
Compressed the Ribs are 1 and the whole thing is 1 3/4

Expanded the whole thing is 3
The cable looks to be 3/8 and the Ribs 7/8

Thanks for looking into it. If you need more info let me know.

ssheen
12-04-2006, 12:43 PM
I found some bellows. I pulled ones off of an Eagle Talon. Works great with a little modifcation. I pulled some more spares from other Eagle cars. Hopefully, no more frozen shifter cables when it is cold out!!