PDA

View Full Version : Daytona speaker sizes?

Turbo_Rampage
10-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Hey, I just picked up a MINT 89 Daytona ES 2.5L T1 today, and i was wondering if anyone knows the sizes of the speakers in the dash, front doors and rear? The guy i bought the car off of had an aftermarket stereo in it, but removed it and now i want to buy some nice speakers to put back in it. I would pull the panels off everything and check to see what sizes i need, but thats kind of hard to when i have no speakers to measure... plus that sounds like to much work, ;) Do i need low profile speakers for the doors or will regular size ones clear the window when it goes down?

Thanks

mcsvt
10-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Dash: best left out, not really worth it.
Doors: 5 1/4 stock, but easily opened to 6 1/2
Rears: 5x7

You and your good deals :thumb:

Turbo_Rampage
10-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Doors: 5 1/4 stock, but easily opened to 6 1/2
Rears: 5x7

You and your good deals :thumb:

Thanks! I guess i will buy some nice component 5 1/4" speakers and then run the tweaters in the dash where the original speakers go... I got sick of driving a gutless Neon, so i found this one owner Daytona with 146,000Km's to be my new daily driver, :thumb: This is the first Daytona i've ever owned and is one of the most comfortable cars to drive, and the fully adjustable seats are awesome!

raccoon
10-06-2007, 10:22 PM
any photos of the daytona?

Turbo_Rampage
10-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Here is one... It's been in a garage it's whole like and rarely winter drivin.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/frank-datank/Daytona005.jpg

raccoon
10-06-2007, 10:33 PM
sweet, ill add that to my collection.

Turbo_Rampage
01-02-2008, 03:48 AM
I just thought i'd update this thread. I installed a stereo system in the Daytona and thought you guys would like to check it out. I've never actually had a nice stereo in a car before... heck my Rampage doesn't even have a radio! I usually just end up spending all my money on the motor, but i have to say that having a decent stereo system is nice!

Here is the link- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2190863/8

rich tideswell
01-02-2008, 09:17 AM
dash speakers are 3.5 inches and not hard at all to swap out, if i remember , you pry the pastic part up with a screw driver

BIGBRUDDA
01-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Do you LOVE your SIRIUS, like I love mine????:nod:

JDAWG
01-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Looks nice. Having a nice stereo is a great upgrade to a car alot of people miss out on. It makes driving so much better. Then you dont mind getting stuck in traffic so much with some nice tunes.

raccoon
01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
youve got the good SIRIUS unit too, the one that plugged into the back of your deck, not that stupid thing with all the loose wises that sticks on the windshield.

I love your daytona. keep it safe from canada.

Turbo_Rampage
01-02-2008, 02:16 PM
dash speakers are 3.5 inches and not hard at all to swap out, if i remember , you pry the pastic part up with a screw driver

Yeah i have my tweaters mounted where the 3.5" speakers used to go.

Do you LOVE your SIRIUS, like I love mine????:nod:

I do! It's nice having non stop music... I hate all the local radio stations, because they are 95% commercials.

Looks nice. Having a nice stereo is a great upgrade to a car alot of people miss out on. It makes driving so much better. Then you dont mind getting stuck in traffic so much with some nice tunes.

Thanks. I really enjoy having a decent stereo since i drive so much.

youve got the good SIRIUS unit too, the one that plugged into the back of your deck, not that stupid thing with all the loose wises that sticks on the windshield.

I love your daytona. keep it safe from canada.

I got that Sirius reciever, because it gives you better then CD quality. Those ones that go through your radio station don't give you the best quality, but i guess the advantage of those are is that they are portable. Plus my head unit has the dual text display so it tells you the artist name, channel and song just just like the portable ones do. It also has this cool option where you can add any of your favourite artists/songs, and it will alert you when it comes on in a different channel.

Don't you mean keep it safe in Canada, :D

glhturbo1985
07-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Where these the size speakers used on earlier models as well.... I have an 84 which I am tuning up the stereo quite a bit.

3.5 front dash speakers on sides.
5.25 front in door speakers
5x7 rear speakers next to back passengers shoulders.

one other question. did the cars ever come with a speaker in the center of the dash under that metal piece you pry off? I have a empty connector there and a hole for a speaker...
but no speaker.. I am figuring it was part of a sound option which my car didn't have.

rich tideswell
07-05-2008, 12:44 PM
it could be part of the infinity system that was optional

Turbo_Rampage
07-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Where these the size speakers used on earlier models as well.... I have an 84 which I am tuning up the stereo quite a bit.

3.5 front dash speakers on sides.
5.25 front in door speakers
5x7 rear speakers next to back passengers shoulders.

one other question. did the cars ever come with a speaker in the center of the dash under that metal piece you pry off? I have a empty connector there and a hole for a speaker...
but no speaker.. I am figuring it was part of a sound option which my car didn't have.

The speaker size in the 1st gen. Daytonas should be the exact same, so those sizes should work for you perfectly. I would suggest going with component speakers up front, and using the tweater where the 3.5" speaker goes, because you will get a nicer sound with the components compared to seperate 3.5" ones up front. I believe that center speaker option was for an AM radio, which only required the one mono speaker in the middle of the dash, although i've never seen a Daytona with an AM radio and the one speaker... maybe some no option 1984 models had it? The 2nd and 3rd gen. Daytonas used that optional speaker hole in the middle of the dash to hold the Hide-away headlight module.

89ShelbyGuy
07-09-2008, 08:56 AM

I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. I always listened to this board with setting up my stereo. i left those dash speakers out, but i was dif. not getting the sound...(treble) i've been wanting. So, for s=its and giggles i bought some to match my others, which are the infinity refrence speakers, which sound awesome, anyways, i put those babys in and the sound, in my opinion sounds more crisp, now i am not stating you dont know what your talknig about as others have there own opinion, just wanted the guy that posted this to know if he's not getting the sound he'd like.

glhturbo1985
07-09-2008, 02:44 PM
OK.

I bought a decent Pioneer stereo.. ipod cable, CD.. the works DEH-p6000ud if you care to check it out.
http://www.be-loud.ro/produse/CD_Playere_MP3/Pioneer/DEH-6000UB/

DOORS---I'm putting some leftover Sony Xplod 5.25" in the doors which were leftover from my old Omni beater car I had in high school.

BACK SEAT--- I bought some nice polk audio 5x7's for 100 bucks. they listed for 150. they have sensitivity of 93 dB.

(I looked at Infinity References. these polks match the sensitivity of the 5x7 references)

DASH---I'm leaving the stock speakers in the Dash for now. I want to see how they sound before I replace them. (the old stereo my car had in it didn't use them... so I don't know if they were bad or not. They added their own wires for the front doors bypassing the dash speakers.)

(I did find, through the service manual, that that center speaker hole would house one weird speaker... it actually looked like two 3.5" speakers side by side, and oddly enough.. the service manual shows the voice alert option to be sounded through that speaker....if so equipped)

What I found (facts) when diging through wiring last night.

The left door and the left dash speaker share a power.
All three left speakers share a common ground through the radio.
The right door and right dash speaker share a power
All three right speakers share a common ground through the radio.

Question????

If I end up replacing the dash speakers..... would you just purchase some nice crisp sounding 3.5's like the Infinity references (they had them on display at Best Buy and I like them), or would you go a different route.

I am not trying or wanting to put an amp in. I just want it to sound good. I think it'll sound great considering the old system that was in it was 22 year old boston acoustics speakers which were literally falling apart.

turbokid
07-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Can you fit some 6x9's in the back????
I have a whole infinity set up out of an newer LHS and the 6x9's sound GOOD!

JDAWG
07-11-2008, 11:33 AM
In a tona? Doubtful. Unless you put them in little boxes in the hatch area, then the bass will sound like a midget farting into a tuba.

89ShelbyGuy
07-11-2008, 01:52 PM
then the bass will sound like a midget farting into a tuba.
LMAO!!, Where in hell did you come up with that one?!?
I just imagined the miget from jacka-s-s doing that...lol

Yea i agree, you couldnt even get it in the daytona..i had a hard time just getting the stock one out!

turbokid
07-11-2008, 02:39 PM
damn... LOL
Back to going aftermarket.
I was hoping to save the JL system I pulled out of a car (I mean everything including the amps and 2 12" w2 subs) in my charger but the first gen laser I got needs a sound system bad.

JDAWG
07-11-2008, 02:54 PM
If you just need some tunes, nothing fancy, just get some cheapies. I used some 5X7 pyle in my 88, they were fine off deck power, better than the old cracked blown ones, or some walmart pioneers or some sony EXXXXZZZZPLODEZZZZZ