PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT koni info!!!!!!!

glhs727
10-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Koni has discontinued all shocks/struts for our cars!
They have run out of part of the assembly and are not willing to spend 70K for the tooling to make them. This is also why Bilstein likely discontinued their struts last year. We have a just a few sets of the g/h/p/k/j/a body struts/shocks in stock, and a few sets of the caravan sets available. Once these are gone, there will be NO MORE!!! Koni will still rebuild, and warranty the old ones, so if you already have a set, you are OK. Also, this does not apply to the L-body coilovers we sell, but I assume those will eventually run dry as well. In the meantime we will be talking to others about making a hiperformance strut/shock combo for these cars, but that could be a while, if ever, to bring to the market.

So if you want Koni's, you better get them NOW!

turbovanman²
10-04-2007, 02:21 PM
What a bunch of $#@#^@^$#@^, :mad: :censored:

badandy
10-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Good thing I just finished outfitting the "T". Thanks Cindy! I suspected this would happen:(

Marcus86GLHS
10-04-2007, 02:44 PM
"....not willing to spend 70K for the tooling to make them. ......"

surprising. sales of the konis for our cars must be very bad to not authorize such a small expense (relative to this corporation's annual income).

at least Repair Services will continue. i'm sending out my second set of original Konis for rebuild, anticipating this division may follow suit...when that happens, the fat lady will sing.

thanx for the heads-up.

GLHS592
10-04-2007, 02:47 PM
I guess I don't understand. Why would they have to spend $70k? Don't they already have the tooling?

88_pacifica
10-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Low demand= reality.... Even the "Phord Taurus" has a "bigger" audience. Look at how many of our cars are still on the road versus their cars, realistically. :(

It's sad, but money talks and... well... u know...

The tooling cost is probably to "replace" the parts/machines with updated equipment(aka an excuse to find a more prosperous market-foreign junk).

karlak
10-04-2007, 03:29 PM
#@$! ^&*&?? there goes my wideband funds

tryingbe
10-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Can't really blame them, after all, how long has TD been stopped production?

88_pacifica
10-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Exactly... They don't still make them for the 81 Phord Mustang I'm willing to bet....

turbovanman²
10-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Exactly... They don't still make them for the 81 Phord Mustang I'm willing to bet....

Wanna bet they do? ;)

1 bad day
10-04-2007, 04:46 PM
eh I am not worried...I will stick to the KYB's :D

glhs727
10-04-2007, 04:49 PM
I guess I don't understand. Why would they have to spend $70k? Don't they already have the tooling?

No, not for the particular peice they need. I'm sure whatever company made them years ago, has now finally depleted inventory and the tooling was gone or worn out. Koni just couldn't justify the expense of new tooling versus how many units were sold over the last few years.
later,
Cindy

88_pacifica
10-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Wanna bet they do? ;)

eh.. maybe they do... it was the best I could come up with on short notice... :D :thumb:

tryingbe
10-04-2007, 05:28 PM
eh I am not worried...I will stick to the KYB's :D

KYB sucks for heavy cars. I know, I have a set.

Directconnection
10-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Koni has discontinued all shocks/struts for our cars!
They have run out of part of the assembly and are not willing to spend 70K for the tooling to make them.

I don't understand. They have made them for years, so they allready have the tooling. What's the $70k for then? Are they just jacking us because they aren't big sellers compared to other platforms?

MiniMopar
10-04-2007, 06:45 PM
There are probably many components inside strut that Koni never made. They bought them from some other manufacturer and the source for them hes dried up. Koni doesn't want to make the part themselves, probably due to volume. They will probably scrap the rest of their tooling shortly if they haven't already. There is probably no way to save it.

tryingbe
10-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Koni for neons are already discontinued.

BadAssPerformance
10-04-2007, 06:53 PM
No, not for the particular peice they need. I'm sure whatever company made them years ago, has now finally depleted inventory and the tooling was gone or worn out. Koni just couldn't justify the expense of new tooling versus how many units were sold over the last few years.
later,
Cindy

$70k? gotta be something like a stamping die for the spring seat or something unique to these part numbers... wonder what vendor to Koni has the current tooling? If they were willing to give it up (since they no longer want to use it) I am sure I could find someone to use it.

mcsvt
10-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Can we get a special running out of stock sale ;) I'm just kidding of course :(

Looks like suspension might come before motor... The SL is dieing for some Koni's!!

88_pacifica
10-04-2007, 07:05 PM
... If they were willing to give it up (since they no longer want to use it) I am sure I could find someone to use it.

There you go... a new project!! Put the billet parts on hold and chase this problem down and save the Koni/Chrysler future...!! :D :thumb:

BadAssPerformance
10-04-2007, 07:29 PM
There you go... a new project!! Put the billet parts on hold and chase this problem down and save the Koni/Chrysler future...!! :D :thumb:

LOL... was just thinking out for the common TM enthusiast... I already have a set of Koni's, if I need another set, I'll just make them :)

Directconnection
10-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Heard just the othr week that the bilstein's are discontinued and thought to myself: well... good thing we still have konis!

I am sure someone can retro fit a different strut and shock to work for these cars.

GLHS592
10-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Maybe I should switch to something with a growing aftermarket. With all the money I've spent on turbo Dodges, I could have bought a used Viper. :(

glhs727
10-04-2007, 10:33 PM
There are probably many components inside strut that Koni never made. They bought them from some other manufacturer and the source for them hes dried up. Koni doesn't want to make the part themselves, probably due to volume. They will probably scrap the rest of their tooling shortly if they haven't already. There is probably no way to save it.
EXACTLY!!!!!

4 l-bodies
10-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Many many years ago I had a interesting experience dealing with Koni N. America. I'll give you guys the nutshell version. After about the third set of L-body front struts they replaced for me, I asked them what was failing. They said the piston diameter was simply too small and the piston will bend (deflect) slightly during hard cornering especially if using aggressive tires, and lowering springs, lots of negative camber, etc. The strut then takes out the seal and it first loses it gas and then it's oil. I said if you know what the problem is why don't you correct it? They said simple, it costs too much for re-tooling! Sound familiar? They also said it's far cheaper to just keep replacing them under warranty. We'll deal with the problem after we run out of inventory... Humm, well I guess NOT! They also told me they won't replace under warranty if the shocks have bottomed out due to the vehicle being lowered too much. This seems reasonable, but also gives them an out if you piss them off. That made me nervous everytime I sent in a set for warranty repair.

BTW- Not sure if all of you knew this, but the Ford Mustang SVO also came with Koni's. Almost bought one of those way back when:o . Amazingly, original owners got lifetime replacement under warranty from Koni, but the Shelby GLHS's were not covered. What a rip!!! The only way to get the lifetime warranty for Chrysler cars was to buy them over the counter. You then qualify.
Todd

zin
10-06-2007, 02:13 AM
If it's anything like I've experienced, some bean counters decided that anything they don't sell XX thousand of each year isn't worth doing! So.. Kill it! Whatever it is, never mind that it provides depth in the product line, never mind that it really wouldn't cost much to keep doing them, we the bean counters have seen in our magical calculations that it would cost far too much to keep these parts in our line so they must go! Oh, and never mind that the reality of the situation is that we really could keep these parts for little or no cost (that could be off-set by a small increase in the sale price).:banghead: As you might have guessed, I've dealt with a similar circumstance in my previous employment:nod: I've been told that I "just don't understand how big business works", well if it means throwing my seemingly un-common sense out the window, that's one piece of education I'll pass on!:amen: Damn, didn't mean to rant there, do ya think that stuff still bugs me?:D

Mike

bradp
10-06-2007, 08:59 PM
If it's anything like I've experienced, some bean counters decided that anything they don't sell XX thousand of each year isn't worth doing! So.. Kill it! Whatever it is, never mind that it provides depth in the product line, never mind that it really wouldn't cost much to keep doing them, we the bean counters have seen in our magical calculations that it would cost far too much to keep these parts in our line so they must go! Oh, and never mind that the reality of the situation is that we really could keep these parts for little or no cost (that could be off-set by a small increase in the sale price).:banghead: As you might have guessed, I've dealt with a similar circumstance in my previous employment:nod: I've been told that I "just don't understand how big business works", well if it means throwing my seemingly un-common sense out the window, that's one piece of education I'll pass on!:amen: Damn, didn't mean to rant there, do ya think that stuff still bugs me?:D

Mike

:rolleyes: You're still holding that over Ho$&@y? LOL We know how bad they are now.

Aries_Turbo
10-06-2007, 10:35 PM
do they still offer taurus SHO inserts? maybe we could use those....

im suprised the neon ones are discontinued already.

Brian

Birddog
10-07-2007, 02:20 AM
BTW- Not sure if all of you knew this, but the Ford Mustang SVO also came with Koni's. Almost bought one of those way back when:o . Amazingly, original owners got lifetime replacement under warranty from Koni,
Todd

Warrantee only held for the original owner of the car though. I tried on 3 different Fjords and it didn't work!:D

do they still offer taurus SHO inserts? maybe we could use those....

Exactly... Why not just mod the car for a better part from a different manufacturer??

OH NO! I can't get Koni's for my $300 Omni! The world must halt!
Someone convince QA1 to put out some stuff for these cars then I'll jump.. :hail:

BadAssPerformance
10-07-2007, 09:10 AM
OH NO! I can't get Koni's for my $300 Omni! The world must halt!
Someone convince QA1 to put out some stuff for these cars then I'll jump.. :hail:

LOL, thats pretty funny!

You know the only people that would (should) really want Koni's over another brand are the GLHS oweners looking for originality. Heck, CSX's originallly came with Monroe GP's and you havn't been able to buy those for a P-body for years!

4 l-bodies
10-07-2007, 11:40 AM
It would be nice to have more options besides huge $ Koni coilovers and standard l-body replacements (read Gabriel, KYB GR2's, Monroe sentra-trac and Monroe-matic). Our current options are $1000 or $100. Too expensive or too soft. Seems like nothing else in between. I'm more than a little hesitatant about spending $1000+ for L-body Koni's considering their track record for durability. IMO, if you haven't broken Koni's on a L-body, your car is not cornering hard enough.

I believe Steve Thorton (Shelbymotorsports) has the Formula GP's for the bigger cars. A while ago some surplus dealer on Ebay was selling pallets of Monroe Formula GP's for the larger cars. Cheap, but you needed to buy the pallet. I thought Steve bought these, but someone told me Steve was selling these long before this surplus stock was available.

I remember throwing out my original GLHT struts and shocks that had like 5k miles on them. Thinking, I'll never need these now that I have my Koni's. HA!Threw out lots of parts during job relocations, because I just didn't have the room to store them. Now 20 years later, I'm looking and spending big money for those same parts I threw in the dumpster. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.:o

Todd

GLHNSLHT2
10-07-2007, 12:01 PM
the GR2's are ok on my GLH. But A laser with eibachs and koni's would out corner it easy as the GR2 would skip over small bumps and upset the car. Had Monroe Shitty Tracs on my ShelbyZ when I bought it. NEVER AGAIN! they're posistion sensative rather than speed sensative like regular shocks. So they don't get stiff till their almost bottomed out either way. So you ride like a cadilac unless the suspension is fully compressed. Total Junk. It's gonna be sad not to have the option of Koni's.

Todd, is this issue you've found with Koni's just on the Lbody or is it on all the Dodge koni's?

glhs727
10-07-2007, 12:12 PM
It would be nice to have more options besides huge $ Koni coilovers and standard l-body replacements (read Gabriel, KYB GR2's, Monroe sentra-trac and Monroe-matic). Our current options are $1000 or $100. Too expensive or too soft. Seems like nothing else in between. I'm more than a little hesitatant about spending $1000+ for L-body Koni's considering their track record for durability. IMO, if you haven't broken Koni's on a L-body, your car is not cornering hard enough.

Todd

The new L-body koni coilovers use the better yellow strut set-up and I don't know any that has broken one of those yet. So I don't think quality is an issue. But I do agree about the expense. You can get crappy struts/shocks for about $200 or AWESOME koni's coilovers for about $1100. And nothing in between. Over the next few months we will be looking into a solution for that and replacements for the g-body stuff too.
Later,
Cindy

turbovanman²
10-07-2007, 12:55 PM
The new L-body koni coilovers use the better yellow strut set-up and I don't know any that has broken one of those yet. So I don't think quality is an issue. But I do agree about the expense. You can get crappy struts/shocks for about $200 or AWESOME koni's coilovers for about $1100. And nothing in between. Over the next few months we will be looking into a solution for that and replacements for the g-body stuff too.
Later,
Cindy

What about talking to KYB, they started making an adjustable strut for other models, maybe they could make one for us?????

BadAssPerformance
10-07-2007, 01:07 PM
That should be easy for them, just take the fancy tube and weld the mopar hardware on it.

EDIT: or just put the fancy junk in the moapr struts, LOL

GLHS592
10-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Now, I'm wondering if I can get my GLHS's and Shelby Charger's Konis repaired in the future.

iTurbo
10-07-2007, 05:44 PM
What about talking to KYB, they started making an adjustable strut for other models, maybe they could make one for us?????

That is what I'm hoping for. My brother and I just installed KYB AGX struts and lowering springs in his Regal GS and they seem really nice so far.

glhs727
10-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Now, I'm wondering if I can get my GLHS's and Shelby Charger's Konis repaired in the future.

I wouldn't worry about that.

glhs727
10-07-2007, 07:01 PM
That should be easy for them, just take the fancy tube and weld the mopar hardware on it.

EDIT: or just put the fancy junk in the moapr struts, LOL

where they gonna get the mopar hardware? Mopar? ha,ha, even mopar doesn't make those parts any more.

mcsvt
10-07-2007, 07:13 PM
They make the GR-2's... can't they convert the valving and technology to the AGX type setup? Is that possible?

Aries_Turbo
10-07-2007, 08:51 PM
AGX's still arent as good as a Koni.... they are better than regular struts though.

Brian

turbovanman²
10-07-2007, 09:12 PM
AGX's still arent as good as a Koni.... they are better than regular struts though.

Brian

Never tried them but they have to be better than stock stuff, I hope!!!

Directconnection
10-07-2007, 10:23 PM
If koni is stopping production because of parts supplied to them are being halted, and they don't want to pony up the $ for the tooling to make them themselves, then how the heck are they going to be able to rebuild them in the future if there are no more parts to begin with? I am guessing seals, etc they make/have.... but not some of the non-wear items?

mcsvt
10-07-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm just looking for something in between. It's doubtful my cars will be in auto-x's but I like a nice handler... At this point I pretty much only hvae GR-2's to go with, so the AGX would be a nice little step above that. Just my thoughts...

4 l-bodies
10-08-2007, 01:45 AM

Brian
At this point I'd even settle for Formula GP's or even KYB gas adjust. That always killed me Gas-adjust, they should have called them gas non-adjust!:confused2: Bring back the old tech shocks!!!
Todd

4 l-bodies
10-08-2007, 02:14 AM
the GR2's are ok on my GLH. But A laser with eibachs and koni's would out corner it easy as the GR2 would skip over small bumps and upset the car. Had Monroe Shitty Tracs on my ShelbyZ when I bought it. NEVER AGAIN! they're posistion sensative rather than speed sensative like regular shocks. So they don't get stiff till their almost bottomed out either way. So you ride like a cadilac unless the suspension is fully compressed. Total Junk. It's gonna be sad not to have the option of Koni's.

Todd, is this issue you've found with Koni's just on the Lbody or is it on all the Dodge koni's?

I really haven't had many non-L body Koni equipped cars to really comment on that Jay, although I've driven quite a few miles behind Nic's Kuehn's CSX. It has dual adjustable Koni's (truechoice modified) along with lots of other suspension, brake, and powertrain goodies. That has to one of the better prepped SD's out there. It has had no issues of losing Koni's that I am aware of.

I had GR2's on the back end of my 88 Omni that is being converted to GLH clone status. The key word is had. Took them off after about a month. Way too soft for me. More parts for the dumpster. Weeeeee....
Todd

Ondonti
10-09-2007, 02:15 AM

Brian
still, how much cutting of things to pop another cars agx stuts into our hardware and then throw on an ebay coilover to go with it?

turbovanman²
10-09-2007, 03:54 AM
still, how much cutting of things to pop another cars agx stuts into our hardware and then throw on an ebay coilover to go with it?

Thats probably very doable.

Ondonti
10-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Well someone more familiar with suspension engineering should figure it out before an idiot like me. :P

mcsvt
10-09-2007, 10:47 AM
^lol agreed!

What we need is a big supplier for KYB and a TMer with spare struts and shocks to go compare a bunch. Maybe we could figure out something that is really close and easy to adapt. Where is KYB located, I may look this up...

Edit:
KYB America LLC
140 N. Mitchell Court
Addison, IL 60101
Ph: (630) 620-5555

Edit2:
I sent them a message...

Vigo
10-09-2007, 01:53 PM
i completely agree with all the AGX comments. i think their price and adjustability put them pretty much smack dab in the middle of what 90% of people with these cars want!!

i think agx would sell far better than koni ever did if only they were available!

turbovanman²
10-09-2007, 02:06 PM
i completely agree with all the AGX comments. i think their price and adjustability put them pretty much smack dab in the middle of what 90% of people with these cars want!!

i think agx would sell far better than koni ever did if only they were available!

+2, :clap:

mcsvt
10-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Lets see if they have a response for my question then, that's pretty much what I told them.

mcsvt
10-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Well they could care less about my questions regarding the AGX's

Pretty much the guy said no not supported without any form of resolution. Back to us figuring it out. I don't think he even read my email... first he said no trucks cause he read Dakota not Daytona... O well, was worth a try...

turbovanman²
10-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Well they could care less about my questions regarding the AGX's

Pretty much the guy said no not supported without any form of resolution. Back to us figuring it out. I don't think he even read my email... first he said no trucks cause he read Dakota not Daytona... O well, was worth a try...

Gotta love large corporations, NOT. :(

looneytuner
10-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Hey don't knock big corp's. I sent an email to Rubbermaid about buying a trash can lid separately. They sent me a $10 coupon for anything they sell.

turbovanman²
10-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Hey don't knock big corp's. I sent an email to Rubbermaid about buying a trash can lid separately. They sent me a $10 coupon for anything they sell.

Ok, so one in a million, ;)

GLHSKEN
10-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Koni has a way to make at least the rears for an "L" body..... I have them.. I think FWDP knows the method. They are PRICEY, but are dual adjustable from the get go.

Fronts??? no idea. Problem is our 1.25" pistons are no longer made. Everything is 1.5" or larger.

zin
10-12-2007, 12:16 AM
Koni has a way to make at least the rears for an "L" body..... I have them.. I think FWDP knows the method. They are PRICEY, but are dual adjustable from the get go.

Fronts??? no idea. Problem is our 1.25" pistons are no longer made. Everything is 1.5" or larger.

Anyone thought about cutting stock struts and replacing the cartridge? I don't know if Koni offers replacement (adjustable) cartridges, but that might be a way to go, not a bolt on, but an option (perhaps). It might even be something that one of the vendors might consider if other options dry up. Additionally, it might be a higher profit item for them if they do the work to make them a bolt on for the rest of us. Just a thought...

turbovanman²
10-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Anyone thought about cutting stock struts and replacing the cartridge? I don't know if Koni offers replacement (adjustable) cartridges, but that might be a way to go, not a bolt on, but an option (perhaps). It might even be something that one of the vendors might consider if other options dry up. Additionally, it might be a higher profit item for them if they do the work to make them a bolt on for the rest of us. Just a thought...

Thats what they do for the SRT struts. I have some Bilstein coilovers that use an insert.

rbryant
10-24-2007, 02:51 AM
As mentioned, Koni has their "cut a strut" setup you can see that there are companies doing it for the eclipse already.

They are more expensive than the normal konis that already didn't sell that well so there wasn't much point until perhaps now.

http://www.druidhillroad.com/projects/koni/

RRE does them and they are slightly more than the $350 the stock konis went for.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/3g/howto/3gkoniinfo.htm

I believe the inserts are also dual valved but I would have to double check.

-Rich

zin
10-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Looks like a viable alternative, might even be a way to lower the car w/out having to use a coil over set-up, just cut the strut to the height you want/need and have the tube welded back up. Of course you'd have to be sure the insert isn't too long, or use a shorter one.

Aries_Turbo
10-24-2007, 05:39 PM
yeah I used the inserts when I had my SHO.

Brian

turbovanman²
10-25-2007, 12:46 AM
Volkswagens also have inserts.

Ironically, the Bilstein coil overs I have use inserts and there used in VW Golfs, Jetta's etc.

87glhs
06-06-2008, 01:33 AM
I need clarification on this--the Koni shocks/struts on the 87 GLHS Chargers from Whittier supposedly came with a "lifetime" warranty for the original owner of the vehicle.

Can anyone confirm this as true, and does anyone have this in writing in the form of a brochure or warranty booklet?

Folks at Koni claim there was never any warranty on the product--

glhs727
06-06-2008, 02:05 AM
I believe in the 80's they did do some warranty replacements on some glhs cars, but sometime in the 90's that stated something to the effect that even though the konis had a lifetime warranty, it only applied to the original purchaser, and Shelby was the purchaser, not the guy that bought the glhs from him, so in effect the warranty did not apply. But all of the above is stuff I had read on the forums and mailing lists and is heresay. So take it with a grain of salt.
later,
Cindy

glhs727
06-06-2008, 02:06 AM
BTW I am still waiting on someone to send me an old stock strut, or KYB or monroe, so I can test fit some Koni inserts. Anyone?

supercrackerbox
06-06-2008, 03:33 AM
BTW I am still waiting on someone to send me an old stock strut, or KYB or monroe, so I can test fit some Koni inserts. Anyone?

Are you looking for an L-body or other? I hope to be replacing everything on my Charger in the very near future (next couple weeks), I'd be happy to send you the take-offs. Send me a PM or give me a call Saturday if you need to.

MopàrBCN
06-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Volkswagens also have inserts.

Ironically, the Bilstein coil overs I have use inserts and there used in VW Golfs, Jetta's etc.

From what I know the suspension system is very similar in those VW cars. In a matter of fact, in Germany at least if you have a Lebaron you are fine up to the wheels using golf equivalents even for tec inspection.

turbovanman²
06-06-2008, 02:44 PM

What do you need?

From what I know the suspension system is very similar in those VW cars. In a matter of fact, in Germany at least if you have a Lebaron you are fine up to the wheels using golf equivalents even for tec inspection.

Interesting, :eyebrows:

glhs727
06-06-2008, 03:17 PM
I need G-body struts. I would prefer all three since I'm sure they may all have different diameters. But if I could only have one, it would be a KYB. Anyone want to send me one?
Thanks,
Cindy

mcsvt
06-06-2008, 05:21 PM
If I get to swap my struts before SDAC I'll deliver one of the old KYB's on it to you.

turbovanman²
06-06-2008, 05:38 PM
I need G-body struts. I would prefer all three since I'm sure they may all have different diameters. But if I could only have one, it would be a KYB. Anyone want to send me one?
Thanks,
Cindy

I have one, 99% sure. I can send it with my cam gears.

karlak
06-06-2008, 10:51 PM
I will be replacing all four corners on my 1988 g body with konis. Was going to throw them in the scrap bin for my next recycle run.

tryingbe
06-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks,
Cindy

Make a new thread, you'll get way more attention. I had Gabriel 4 months ago that you could have them... but I throw them away since.

glhs727
06-07-2008, 10:20 AM
I only need one front from each manufacturer. So if anyone has a front strut they are fixing to toss, call me and I'll pay shipping. Once we get them we can give Koni all the info and hopefully have something available soon.
Thanks,
Cindy

supercrackerbox
06-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Would this include a stock unit too? I can get those for about $15 apiece at the junkyard in Omaha. Or if the car has some miles on it, there's always a chance of it being a Monroe or other jobber install.

John B
06-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Anything in the works for P bodies?

cqlink
06-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Maybe I missed it but can I get my Koni's rebuilt by them or by another source?

Sounds like Koni doesn't have rebuild parts?

zin
06-16-2008, 03:30 PM

I'm pretty sure they can rebuild yours, the "L" body parts are the ones (IIR) that had a piece of tooling break/wear-out and will not be replaced, making them NA. But the rebuild is usually seals, etc so even if yours share that part, they should still be rebuildable. If I'm smoking crack here, I'm sure someone will let us know... :)

Mike

turbovanman²
06-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Anything in the works for P bodies?

Same as Spirit, Daytona etc. L body and van are different but you can use car struts in the van to lower it.

Yes, Koni can still rebuild your old ones or Cindy can get it done.

cqlink
06-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Great....Is there any reason to go to Koni when Cindy can get the job done?

Any idea on cost?

turbovanman²
06-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Great....Is there any reason to go to Koni when Cindy can get the job done?

Any idea on cost?

Cost, I think it was $350 for both, :wow1:

Not sure, maybe Cindy can get them done faster?

Badger
08-04-2008, 02:45 PM
anything in the works (as far as Konis go.....inserts or otherwise) for P-body's? I think Im the second person to ask this.

John B
08-05-2008, 06:00 AM
anything in the works (as far as Konis go.....inserts or otherwise) for P-body's? I think Im the second person to ask this.

And I'm the third...

Vigo
08-05-2008, 08:42 AM
personally, i think we should all start redrilling our strut towers for 2g neon based struts. :p

maybe somebody could sell us a drilling template so we dont fubar our cars in the process.

glhs727
08-05-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm still waiting on someone to send me some used strut housings so we can finish some R&D on inserts.
later,
Cindy

BadAssPerformance
08-05-2008, 06:36 PM
You guys work on all those cars and dont have any spare used strut housings? ;)

turbovanman²
08-05-2008, 07:01 PM
I've got some here, just haven't had the chance to ship them out. I have to ship some stuff tomorrow and return some parts that got sent out wrong so killing 2 birds with one stone, :amen:

Badger
08-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks vanman. For some reason I thought someone had sent those to Cindy quite a while back.........oh well, at least its getting taken care of now. Thanks again.

glhs727
08-06-2008, 12:06 AM
You guys work on all those cars and dont have any spare used strut housings? ;)

yes, but all our shop cars have Konis :)

Vigo
08-06-2008, 08:34 AM
SHOWOFFS......

ive got some here in San Antonio that could be picked up.. sadly im WAY too busy with summer semester classes to go out of my way to ship.. maybe in a few weeks. So close yet so far..:(

JuXsA
08-06-2008, 09:41 AM
so you could use neon struts in a shadow if you just drilled the holes in the strut tower? would you have to do anything esle?

Aries_Turbo
08-06-2008, 11:17 AM
i think it has to be 2g struts. i think 1g struts are too short. 2g struts are shorter too i think.

Brian

John B
08-06-2008, 01:21 PM
i think it has to be 2g struts. i think 1g struts are too short. 2g struts are shorter too i think.

BrianSo are we talking about strut tower spacer/adaptors?

Aries_Turbo
08-06-2008, 05:39 PM
dunno. i forget the difference in height.

Brian

Vigo
08-06-2008, 07:36 PM
2g are indeed longer than the super short 1g neon struts and shorter than stock k-car struts. you could either redrill the bolt pattern in the strut tower and enlarge the center hole by a whole bunch (the srt-powered woody wagon that everyone was ogling a while back has this) or make a spacer to go between the neon strut and the k-car tower, similar to a wheel spacer which changes bolt patterns. the spacer would add some height and probably effectively make the 2g strut useable at stock ride height. the 2g neon enjoys a LOT of strut and spring options compared to us, courtesy of the srt-4's popularity. I honestly think that this idea should be developed and marketed, which is why im posting in a vendor's thread.. Im too lazy to do it myself!!!

Badger
08-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Cindy,
any idea once you get the housing, how long it will take before the Koni inserts might be available to buy?

glhs727
08-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Cindy,
any idea once you get the housing, how long it will take before the Koni inserts might be available to buy?

No ETA. A lot depends on if they have something drop in that will be a perfect fit. If not, then making them requires doing a large run from europe and with production and shipping could be months. My goal is to have something for next summer.
later,
Cindy

Badger
08-08-2008, 11:48 PM
okie dokie. Sooner the better!!

86trbolancer
08-29-2008, 01:25 AM
FYI: i called them the other day

KONI CANNOT REBUILD THESE DISCONTIUED SHOCKS

THEY'RE SEALED

i didn't ask about struts though....sucks for me i got frt. koni coilovers and rear koni shocks in my LANPAC

Cindy, are springs still available though???

Badger
09-16-2008, 06:05 PM
cindy did you ever get those parts someone was sending you?