PDA

View Full Version : Really Worth It?????

Wink
02-11-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm pondering the real upgrade of my Shadow's brakes. Right now I have the 10" front disks and rear drums. I understand that the larger brakes for the front will definately increase my braking effeciency. However, is there really a huge gain by dropping the drums in the rear in lieu of disks?

Right now I have in my possession a set of 11" fronts, with hubs and spindles from a 90 Daytona. The rears, I acquired from an 88 Daytona. They are solid disks without the drum-in-hat parking brake setup. Would the rear disk setup I have here really be an upgrade from the drums? I don't really care about the looks of the disk vs drum. But, slotted/cross drilled rotors are an option for increasing my braking as well.

Wink

turbovanmanČ
02-11-2006, 08:59 PM
You can just bolt on the 90 stuff, you an use your OE K-member and control arms, just bolt on the knuckle and brake items.

Personally, rear discs rock and putting them on your car is very easy, so go for it, and yes, there better than those puny drums. You might have to change the prop valve if you find your brake bias sucks and you should install a NEW 24mm master cylinder.

Wink
02-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Works for me. I'll just get the master cylinder and new hoses/cables and hardware.

And if I don't like the biasing, different proportioning or adjustable valves will be put in the rear lines.

Something tells me I should have kept my two questions in one post instead of seperating them. :banghead:

Wink

Russ Jerome
02-11-2006, 10:09 PM
The feel of large rotor's and a big master gives lots of confidence.

Big rotors drag more than drums from a standstill so if max take
off is your goal stick with drums in back.

Drag car keep the drums, all out crazy driving habits big rotors
and a pick up truck master with correct prop valve. Pushing
my Omni thru staging lanes sucked, chasing an EVO thru the
cloverleaf on freeway....priceless ;)

GLHNSLHT2
02-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Do NOT use the 88 brakes. They suck. Every 87/88 daytona I've driven including my own they were dangerous to useless. Dropped the full 11" 89/90 Shelby brakes on it and it's way better. The car now now uses the rear brakes all the time instead of just mid corner where I've always had them lock on all those nasty 87/88 cars. The balance is better, and the car sits down at all four corners when you nail the brakes when you see the state trooper on the side of the road and you're doing 10-15 over :) He can't even tell you hit the brakes. With the old caravan fronts and stock rears the thing would lift the rear tires clean off the ground. I was so glad to throw those brakes in the trash. Save up and find some late model 11" rears. Use the D150 MC and the correct Prop Valve and you're set.

Wink
02-12-2006, 08:45 PM
So you're saying to just keep the drums until I can locate a complete 89+ rear setup? I know I'm at least installing the 11" fronts I already have next month or so.