PDA

View Full Version : Fan Control?

Dusty_Duster
10-01-2007, 11:09 AM
My car isn't overheating. But I really wish the fan would turn on a little bit sooner. Currently, when I'm cruising around, my temp gauge is at about 1/3. When I'm sitting at a stop light, the temperature slowly increases until a little after 1/2. Then the fan finally kicks on and cools things down.

I suppose I could wire up a manual fan override and flip the switch whenever I come to a stop light, but that seems like such a cheezy solution. Is there a way to make the fan come on sooner? Like using a resistor somewhere or something?

Also, I've been kicking around the idea of getting a new cal from FWD Performance. Their website says that the cal includes "revised fan schedules for better cooling." Would a new cal solve my "problem"?

Thanks in advance.

JDAWG
10-01-2007, 11:44 AM
other than a reprogrammed cal no, http://www.sv-td.com/members/images/saxhouse/fanswitch.htm

try that, craig did a nice write up, the computer still controls the fan but you can kick it on early if you want to

turbovanmanČ
10-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Yes, the recal computers turn it on sooner or just put a switch into the ground signal on the relay, blue wire. just tie into it, don't cut it, run the new wire to switch, then ground the other side. Basically, your turning the relay on just like the computer. It will set a code but won't turn the SES light on.

Turbodave
10-01-2007, 04:26 PM
On my 89 Shadow I just turn on the A/C and my fan will run all the time. (The A/C parts aren't on it anymore).

Dusty_Duster
10-03-2007, 11:24 AM
On my 89 Shadow I just turn on the A/C and my fan will run all the time. (The A/C parts aren't on it anymore).

I don't have A/C on my Duster, either, but the button is still there. Hmmmm. I should try that.

Great idea!

tryingbe
10-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Adjustable thermostat works great for me.

chilort
10-03-2007, 07:40 PM
I used to do the A/C trick too, but that was because I had an issue with overheating. Finally, after replacing the fan relays (there are multiple, of course), the temp sensor, and the t-stat, the radiator, the heater core, and the little heater valve, I finally got it to work correctly. This was on my '88 2.5 NA.

I now have an '86 Turbo and when the A/C is running it seems to run about dead in the middle of the gauge. When the A/C isn't running it runs a little lower than dead center until I stop, then it creeps up to just over dead center and the fans (yup, fans, plural) kick on. That is the way a nicely tuned control system works. It doesn't really bother me at all. If you think about it, you're talking about maybe a 30 or 40 degree variation. So what? Combustion temps are much more than 200 plus or minus 30 or 40 degrees. If the system is cooling and a 30 to 40 degree variation is all you are seeing at the temp sensor, the system is working very well.

At least that is my $0.02.

turbovanmanČ
10-03-2007, 07:44 PM
I used to do the A/C trick too, but that was because I had an issue with overheating. Finally, after replacing the fan relays (there are multiple, of course), the temp sensor, and the t-stat, the radiator, the heater core, and the little heater valve, I finally got it to work correctly. This was on my '88 2.5 NA.

I now have an '86 Turbo and when the A/C is running it seems to run about dead in the middle of the gauge. When the A/C isn't running it runs a little lower than dead center until I stop, then it creeps up to just over dead center and the fans (yup, fans, plural) kick on. That is the way a nicely tuned control system works. It doesn't really bother me at all. If you think about it, you're talking about maybe a 30 or 40 degree variation. So what? Combustion temps are much more than 200 plus or minus 30 or 40 degrees. If the system is cooling and a 30 to 40 degree variation is all you are seeing at the temp sensor, the system is working very well.

At least that is my $0.02.

Thats the problem, the fan comes on too hot, if your boosting around town and the temps are 220-230 ish then your asking for trouble. Its better for engine life, head gasket life and power if the fan comes on earlier, everyone's happy.

1966 dart wagon
10-04-2007, 12:23 AM
my car had some kind of aftermarket ac installed with a factory indash switch(stock hvac controls) and i removed the ac, and it only has one fan, is there a way i can wire it in so when i press the ac button the fan kicks on, yet it also comes on automatically. which wire would i wire it to??

Dusty_Duster
11-15-2007, 03:50 PM
I found this on Summit Racing:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CSI%2D1225&N=700+0&autoview=sku

Could I use this to make my fan turn on a little sooner?

Dusty_Duster
11-26-2007, 05:57 PM
I found this on Summit Racing:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CSI%2D1225&N=700+0&autoview=sku

Could I use this to make my fan turn on a little sooner?

BUMP :bump2:

Come on, guys, I need to know what to buy with all those Summit Racing gift certificates I'll inevitably get for Christmas!

tryingbe
11-26-2007, 09:00 PM
I buy adjustable thermostat for less than $20...

shadow88
11-26-2007, 09:18 PM
I buy adjustable thermostat for less than $20...

Link / picture / explanation please?

tryingbe
11-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Adjustable thermostat is a relay triggered by temperature instead of electricity current. It detects temperature by using a probe, the probe needs to be place very near the radiator.

You wire everything up and when the pre-adjusted temperature reached, it completes the circuit and your fan turns on.

Dusty_Duster
11-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Adjustable thermostat is a relay triggered by temperature instead of electricity current. It detects temperature by using a probe, the probe needs to be place very near the radiator.

You wire everything up and when the pre-adjusted temperature reached, it completes the circuit and your fan turns on.

And how does it turn off? Because you usually set a fan to come on at, say 190* and turn off at 170*, for instance.

I'd rather use something that's microprocessor-controlled instead of jerry-rigging something up. HKS used to make a sweet fan controller, but they've discontinued it.

I also found this one (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DAK%2DPAC%2D2000&N=700+115&autoview=sku), which seems to really be what I'm looking for.