PDA

View Full Version : 89 T2 Block: Can I use these pistons and rods?

Subliminal
02-11-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm probably going to be gettting an 89 block that's been all honed and redone and such, with standard bore.

I have some brand new Federal Mogul pistons (swirl head type) on 85 rods. I know the commonblocks generally use floating pin pistons (or something like that) and these rods don't have that...

the question is, can I use those rods and pistons in that engine?

Thanks!

damon

GLHSKEN
02-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Yes...

Subliminal
02-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Second Question:

Any reason not to use those pistons/rods in that engine? :)

turbovanmanČ
02-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Weak rods, thats it. The floating pin issue is tossed around whether its good or bad. Personally, pressed pin or floating pin is fine. I like floating pin as I can change my own pistons-no machine shop needed.

Subliminal
02-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Weak rods, thats it. The floating pin issue is tossed around whether its good or bad. Personally, pressed pin or floating pin is fine. I like floating pin as I can change my own pistons-no machine shop needed.

Huh. According to Gary, these rods are as strong as the t2 rods of later years.

And I quote:

The best rods to use are the TII ones (which require a floating pin piston) or the 81-85 2.2 rod (which do not). Basically the same rod except no bushing for a floating pin.

Why do you say that the 85's are 'weak rods'?

GLHSKEN
02-11-2006, 04:53 PM
the 85 rods are not weak... Only issue is floating pin which tends to "emit" wrist pin noise after a while.. Damn near sounds like rod knock but with a better rythem!!

turbovanmanČ
02-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Sorry, my bad, I speed read the thread, you guys are right, :p

I think the wrist pin issue is just wear, look at SBC,s Small block Mopars etc, they all have pressed pin and no issues. My last used engine had pin knock-floating to boot. To each there own, I just prefer the floaters as no money to swap pistons, which I used to do alot, hehehehee, :nod:

Subliminal
02-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Cool. Thanks, guys.

I was worried maybe the rod ends where it meets the crank would be a different size, or something silly like that.

d