PDA

View Full Version : Giving a non believer a ride..

Birddog
09-30-2007, 01:43 AM
Last weekend I got the chance to give a friend of mine a ride in the Omni. He's a Mopar guy but until this year the quickest car he's owned was an 85 Dippy. Now he has a very nice 73 Charger SE but even that has some issue right now...
We rolled out to the test road and he's gabbing away about how loud it is.. "It's like talking into a fan" were the exact words.
So I hang a U, stop and I tell him to hold on. He didn't believe me.
I rolled out of the clutch around 3k(and fried the tires), pulled into 2nd(boiling the tires now) and made him seriously cry out "hol* $hit", pounded 3rd(now only the right front is howling) and he broke the damn door handle/arm rest(wuss!).. Sadly that was all the room we had as the crew putting up the condos down the street had their trailers parked halfway into the road near the end..:mad:
Then the brakes... I just finished swapping the 1" master/prop in and damn near pulled his face off!

What really made it sweet was when we got back to the house he asked what was done to it.... :D
I swear it's all stock..

Sadly I almost had him talked into a turbo car before the Charger but he couldn't "justify" 4-6K for a nice S car:confused2: ...

(Not that it matters but this is only the second passenger in the car ever.. First was the wife and after riding in and driving Omni just once she hates it! And she's a better driver than I am..:D )

BadAssPerformance
09-30-2007, 01:54 AM
Good job making a beleiver! :thumb:

I've probably had a dozen or so people ride in the shadow in the past few years, most of them co-workers as we go out to lunch on Fridays and I'll offer to drive it if the weather is nice... "Holyshit" definitely seems to be a popular response :D

shadow88
09-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Well done. I've made a few believers myself. Rubber into 3rd? Let's hear a little more about the car!

BadAssPerformance
09-30-2007, 09:30 AM
I believe Sean's Omni is built like my Shadow, all stock + boost... great recipie for rubber in 3rd... and kind of a common theme for the Chicago cars, they are all stock! ;)

shadow88
09-30-2007, 09:41 AM
I took a slightly different approach, but smokin' the front tires on the on ramps just to see the look on some other guy's face is fun every time I do it.

Birddog
09-30-2007, 02:36 PM
I believe Sean's Omni is built like my Shadow, all stock + boost... great recipie for rubber in 3rd... and kind of a common theme for the Chicago cars, they are all stock! ;)

Yup! other than a little cleanup on the head I just toss a bunch of boost with a ton of fuel and a lot of rpm at it and pray!:D

GLHSKEN
09-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Ain't it fun... Smoking the tires at 65.... Folks definately wake up..

justa4
10-03-2007, 08:52 PM
My favorite happened one night when I had a few friends over. There was a guy there that we didn't hang out with very much, so he really didn't know my car at all. At some point during the night someone mentioned that the S was pretty quick, and he came back with the typical-no way, I don't believe it, it's got what engine in it. So we go for a wing ding around they block, I nail a couple of turns and suddenly he's real quiet. We get back to the house and he goes and sits on the front porch, ALONE. We ask if he's ok, and he's like, "yea, I just didn't know cars could go around turns that fast.:eyebrows: lol. I feel kind of bad about the whole thing now.

Birddog
10-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Don't feel bad, Six Flags charges a ton for turns like that!:thumb:

t3rse
10-06-2007, 08:59 AM
^ :D

Ain't it fun... Smoking the tires at 65.... Folks definately wake up..

no, it's really annoying, especially when you can't race hondas for fear of losing due to massive wheel spin at 100mph. damn l-bodies!

Aries_Turbo
10-06-2007, 10:35 AM
time for a RWD/AWD swap :)

l gave a guy a ride yesterday around the "block" (~10 miles)... he liked it. :)

Brian

BadAssPerformance
10-06-2007, 10:38 AM
time for a RWD/AWD swap :)

or better tires ;)

turbovanmanČ
10-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Gave the Rotary shop owner a ride Thursday night after the dyno, he was laughing and having a blast, :thumb:

Aries_Turbo
10-06-2007, 09:47 PM
or better tires ;)

he spins the slicks pretty bad....

Brian

Dez
10-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Same thing happened when i took my cousin (Honda Kid) for a ride in my lebaron. Break torqued it to around 3500 and floored it. Car pushed around 18psi. My car was tire hoping and all he could do was hold on to the door armrest LOL. I asked what he thought and he said he might be getting a TD now. I was like, no your not, you ricer.

It was great!!. Fun times, fun times lol

Birddog
10-07-2007, 03:02 AM
Gave the Rotary shop owner a ride Thursday night after the dyno, he was laughing and having a blast, :thumb:

Now toss that bad boy mill in an L body already will ya!;)

Kidding.. I want a van, I'm in need of a transport for 7 Labs.. Can't get em all in the Omni:D .

BadAssPerformance
10-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Sounds like a 7-passenger caravan fo you, only one wont have a seat ;) LOL... better yet, hard to find but they did make turbo cargo vans too!

turbovanmanČ
10-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Sounds like a 7-passenger caravan fo you, only one wont have a seat ;) LOL... better yet, hard to find but they did make turbo cargo vans too!

But you can make one, ;)

BadAssPerformance
10-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Very true... first turbo van I ever rode in was a '87 T2 cargo van... that was back in '93 maybe?

Dodge Aries K
10-07-2007, 08:52 PM
I drove a stock turbo 1989 cargo Caravan... holy hell that thing was fast...

BadAssPerformance
10-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Is it still around here?

Dodge Aries K
10-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Unfortunately not. I drove it back in 2002 and it was over by my mom's in Bartlett for sale. I didn't have $4000 to get it otherwise I'd have that thing. It was so nice too, only 34,000 miles, working a/c, and vinyl highback buckets in the front. The back was completely empty.

Birddog
10-13-2007, 03:42 AM
C/V with a turbo would be dang fun!
BTW did it again tonight with a crap talkin rummy from down the street.. Not really a win but that wasn't water in the passenger seat when he got out either...:p