PDA

View Full Version : Blown Rad Fan??

Whorse
02-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Last week I was driving in some heavy rain (90 GTC Lebaron), and noticed it smelled like electrical smoke in my car. A few lights later smoke started coming from under my hood, and I pulled over.

There was a stream of smoke billowing out of my rad fan. Thinking it had shorted from all the water, I unplugged it and kept going, trying to not overheat my car. I installed another rad fan from my other car that I don't drive, and it seemed to be fine, but now it doesn't work.

Is there a simply way to diagnose this problem? I couldn't find any fuses under the dash for the fan that might have blown, and I'm not sure why something wouldn't have prevented it, and why the new one won't work. Any help is appreciated.

Whorse

turbovanmanČ
02-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Engine idling, unplug coolant sensor-if fan doesn't come on, you have a power, relay or fusible link issue. Check for power using a test light at the fan connection-power equals junk fan, no power means sh*t. Plug coolant sensor back in, wait a minute or so then unplug again, listen for a click at the relays-no click means trace the wires over by the strut tower and look for the blown fusible link. I repair using a fuse holder and a 20 amp fuse.