PDA

View Full Version : Reverse cooling a TIII head

powermaxx
09-27-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm not sure if this will gain me anything especially since I'm filling he block (3/4's) with Hard Block. I was going to plumb one of the coolant plugs in the head as an inlet. I know reverse cooling is used on several V8's but with a filled block I'm not sure if there would be an advantage in my TIII. (Cool head first, block last...).

I need the hard block for the boost levels I'm planning on seeing. I saw someones pics with indiviudal lines tapped into the top edge of the block for each cylinder and thought that was very interesting. Looked very even for flow.

turbovanmanČ
09-27-2007, 02:52 PM
I would think with a filled block, it would be a good idea, just need to figure out how to do it evenly, :confused:

mcsvt
09-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Bruce Bruce would be the one to ask. I believe he is the one with the individual lines going to each cylinder area.

"Top Fuel Bender" that is :thumb: :)

Speedeuphoria
09-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Bruce Bruce would be the one to ask. I believe he is the one with the individual lines going to each cylinder area.

"Top Fuel Bender" that is :thumb: :)

yep saw that also, great idea, his was filled also.

"Top Fuel" Bender
09-27-2007, 11:32 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/250000-250999/250238_292_full.jpg

electric waterpump on the rad. feeds to a "water header"
that go into 4 ports in front of each cyl. (the block is now filled with hard block filler
through the head and back out the normal t-stat housing
what I did though was run a 3/8" line from the freezeout plug to an expansion tank mounted high on the fender well then a line out the bottom of the tank back to the upper radiator hose
works great, self bleeds the air perfectly
kinda like a vw setup
I'll have to get more pics

zin
09-28-2007, 12:21 AM
What Bender did isn't reverse cooling, just a neat way to keep the cool water evenly distributed. If the water was coming out of the tubes, then it would be.

The point of reverse cooling is to supply the head with the coolest water in order to stave off detonation (by keeping the exhaust valves cool, etc), but keep the water temp in the block up by "pre-heating" it via the cylinder head. Generally, a cool top end will help HP and anti-detonation, while a "hotter" cylinder wears better and keeps a better seal (so more HP). I've been toying with how to do it on our engines, but I'm still trying to glean what the shortcomings of the cooling system really are before I go off 1/2 ----ed, so these conversations are very interesting/helpful to me. I would think that a filled block with reverse cooling would work really well as the cylinders would stay warmer (like you'd want), while the cylinder head would nice and cool. I've even thought of separating the coolant flow, having a separate path for the cylinder head and block, but like I said, I don't know enough about it yet to know if it would just be an engineering exercise or a real plus.

87turbodance
09-28-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm imagine you'd want an oil cooler in a filled block setup right?

powermaxx
09-28-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm imagine you'd want an oil cooler in a filled block setup right?

Mine will have one!

Good comments.:clap:

"Top Fuel" Bender
09-28-2007, 12:10 PM
What Bender did isn't reverse cooling, just a neat way to keep the cool water evenly distributed. If the water was coming out of the tubes, then it would be.

I know , I know
I really wanted to but something had me second guessing myself
maybe next year, I'll put the the coolant temp in the "header" collector and give it a try just have to flip 2 hoses

A+ on the oil cooler for a street car
most certainly on an alumn. rod car
it's a good idea to try and keep everything equal from what I've been told

love the hard block also
2 years ago I couldn't keep the block from twisting and pressurizing the coolant system, filled with hard block and not a problem since