PDA

View Full Version : Copper Headgasket for TII block to TIII head?

powermaxx
09-27-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm using an 89 CB and the Lotus TIII head. I plan on O-ringing the block and need to find a copper gasket. Will the 89 TII one work with the TIII head or do I need a TIII specific HG? (Do they even make a copper HG for the TIII?)

TIA

(Not going to use the Cometic, It won't take what I have in store for it...)

Blue Iroc R/T
09-27-2007, 12:30 PM
You will need a TIII HG. The water jacket holes are larger on the TIII. I have heard of the 8v HG being used by opening up a few of the holes. But, IMO, that is somewhat risky. I used the Cometic (MLS= Multi-Layer Steel) TIII HG. I'm not sure how this would work with a O-ringed head though.
IF you need it, I think I have some pics at home of both the 8v and TIII HG. I may have even up loaded them to my site. But, I can't access my site from here at work.

turbovanmanČ
09-27-2007, 12:51 PM
I just went thru this lol, you could use a copper gasket but you'd need to drill some more holes and enlarge others. You would need a TIII gasket to use as a template, which is how I figured it out. With todays technology, O-rings are really not needed anymore, what are you up too Steve?

tryingbe
09-27-2007, 01:04 PM
TU sells copper gasket.

powermaxx
09-27-2007, 01:18 PM
I just went thru this lol, you could use a copper gasket but you'd need to drill some more holes and enlarge others. You would need a TIII gasket to use as a template, which is how I figured it out. With todays technology, O-rings are really not needed anymore, what are you up too Steve?

Some very serious boost levels.:evil: I liked the copper ones that I've used on the Challenger in the past. I didn't want to take a chance on the Cometic (I've used these also...) Water passages may not be an issue as I'm filling the block up with "Hard Bloc" almost to the top.

"Special Purpose" has been moved to my house. The build up begins! :amen:

turbovanmanČ
09-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Some very serious boost levels.:evil: I liked the copper ones that I've used on the Challenger in the past. I didn't want to take a chance on the Cometic (I've used these also...) Water passages may not be an issue as I'm filling the block up with "Hard Bloc" almost to the top.

"Special Purpose" has been moved to my house. The build up begins! :amen:

Sweet, and finally seeing the light with 16 valves, :clap:

powermaxx
09-27-2007, 01:48 PM
TU sells copper gasket.

I believe it's for the 8V heads. But I'll check.

turbovanmanČ
09-27-2007, 01:58 PM
You could easily modify an 8v copper gasket for TIII use.

powermaxx
09-27-2007, 02:01 PM
You could easily modify an 8v copper gasket for TIII use.

That's what I'm thinking.

I have some other interesting cooling questions but I'll start another thread for that.

ohiorob
10-04-2007, 05:18 AM
I would do a little more research before going copper. see what the pro import guys are using or Darrel Cox. to me the copper head gasket was nothing but problems. maybe drill and tap for bigger head studs and go cometic.

t3rse
10-04-2007, 10:45 AM
i blew a copper HG with an o-ringed block. i say don't bother; o-ring the head and use a cometic

turbovanmanČ
10-04-2007, 12:29 PM
i blew a copper HG with an o-ringed block. i say don't bother; o-ring the head and use a cometic

Cometic says not to use O-rings with there gaskets?????? :confused:

powermaxx
10-04-2007, 01:21 PM
I like the copper ones. Used them for years in the Challenger with no issues (440, heavy nitrous car) Ran 9's (140mph+) all day long for years. No leaks (not even water/oil if you know what you're doing), combustion or otherwise. O ringed of course. (It's also what's in the Fontana HEMI that curently rests between the frame rails :D )

I've used the Cometic in my GLHS a couple of times (I don't believe in reusing them unless it's an emergency). I have one on there right now.

It's gonna be copper and it looks like I'll get a TII and mod it to be like the TIII (copper cuts easy)

Thanks for the inputs!:thumb:

t3rse
10-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Cometic says not to use O-rings with there gaskets?????? :confused:

you can use o-rings if they are in the head, not in the block.

turbovanmanČ
10-04-2007, 01:52 PM
you can use o-rings if they are in the head, not in the block.

Gotcha, :thumb: