PDA

View Full Version : BASIC Cummins question...

Riverratt
09-26-2007, 12:20 AM
I am helping my father in law, with his Dodge 3500 deuly.

WHERE IN TARNATION DO YOU GET PARTS FOR THESE BAD BOYS????? Besides going to the dealership,

More specifically, I am trying to find a Throttle Position sensor for his 99 model. And the usual part supply houses "do not carry parts for those engines"

Any links or leads would be appreciated

ottawa rogue
09-26-2007, 01:50 PM
try a heavy truck parts house or dealer.
and make sure you have the serial or engine number and the CPL number from the engine tag, otherwise your parts dealer will say "Huh?"
the CPL is the most asked for in my experience.
tell them it's for an ISB Cummins engine

ottawa rogue
09-26-2007, 01:53 PM
is the sensor on the injection pump, or the foot pedal?
you may try your local dodge dealer also

Riverratt
09-26-2007, 09:43 PM
TO be honest, I don't know..I popped the hood, and it is a mite "different" than what I am used to working with, to say the least, I am not even sure where the sensor is. Could it BE, on the foot pedal?

Thanks for you time, to help this TOTAL Newbie when it comes to these vehicles.

WVRampage
09-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Its call the accelerator petal possition sesor and its on the bell crank and you have to get the entie bell crank from the dealer.Its around 300 bucks I think the last time I priced one for a customer.

ottawa rogue
09-26-2007, 10:50 PM
any chance he can just order the potentiometer? i ran into a situation a couple of years back on a crane carrier chassis trying to find a r/side a.p.p. assembly in a hurry. we were able to source one from williams controls i think it was. saved us about a week of downtime.
other than that , you might try the boneyard.

ottawa rogue
09-26-2007, 10:58 PM
RIverrat, what's wrong with the old one? those are pretty easy to check for a gross fault anyway.
get a wiring diagram, find your circuit and make sure you have a good power supply, a good ground and check your signal output on the third wire.
you should have right around 4.95-5.0 volts for your power supply, a good ground and when you push down on the pedal, you will get a steadily rising voltage on the third wire. app and tps sensors all work the same way, basically they are like a light dimmer, at idle you should have somewhere aroud .5 volts. as you push down the pedal your voltage will steadily climb to around 4.5-5.0 volts(usually a little less than 5).
look for "steps" in the voltage reading as you push the gas, and under or over voltage.
gind a manual and look up the min. and max. voltage specs

hope this helps

Bryan

Russ Jerome
10-01-2007, 08:22 PM
The cheapest place to buy a Cummins part is from Cummins.
http://www.cumminspower.com/na/locator/us/
How do you know it is bad?

fastasleep
10-18-2007, 09:56 AM
WV is right, as you will have to buy the whole assembly from the dealership. Try Associated Fuels in Jonesboro, GA; they may sell just the pot. But, be sure to check the old pot with the procedure mentioned already. You'll have a 5V positive to the pot. One wire coming out will be a sig reference back to the ecu, the other will be a ground. Make sure you have 5V, then check for sig ref back to the ecu. If with the pedal all the way up you get a value of (+/- .05V) .98V. SLOWLY push the pedal down and look for GRADUAL steps, noticing if the value ever drops below .98V or goes to near 5V when you are not full throttle. Then check for continuity on the sig ref back to the ecu if the pot seems to be okay. Also make sure you have a GOOD ground!
You can also try A/C's truck parts in Stockbridge, GA. They have many late model trucks, so they may sell you just the piece you need. Talk to David or Mike; and tell them Les from Dial's Diesel referred you.
Hope this helps!

Oh yeah, call Garmin Performance Diesel in McDonough, GA. Talk to Jeff. He probably won't have your part, but he'll know where to get it.

-Les