PDA

View Full Version : 3 inch muffler

WVRampage
09-25-2007, 09:42 PM
I have a 3 inch pipe on my rampage with a glasspack inplace of the cat and a warlock muffler,Im wanting to remover the warlock and put a nice free flowing muffler with a good sound but not to loud,any ideas?

cordes
09-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Loud is different for different people. My omni is to loud because it will effect my hearing at over an hour in the car, but the ladies at school think my shadow is too loud because it can be heard from inside the building.

What is your definition of loud?

ottawa rogue
09-26-2007, 09:11 AM
IF it's too loud, you're too old!:D
sorry, couldn't pass that one up

try a magnaflow maybe?
they've got a sound clip on their website with a 3" system on a neon, and it sounds pretty good and not too obnoxious.
I'm looking for the same thing. i do a lot of highway driving and a buzzy droning muffler would drive me crazy

inmyshadow
09-26-2007, 02:00 PM
I just installed a hooker header's 3in oval muffler on the shadow. Its pretty quiet.

WVRampage
09-26-2007, 07:09 PM
I just want something that flows real good but dosent drone on the high way to much.

WVRampage
09-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Im looking at the MagnaFlow XL 3 chamber,its stainless and looks as if it flows well and still cuts the resonance.Keep the Ideas coming as it will be a little bit before I get one.

skinnye
09-30-2007, 12:57 AM
I put a tractor muffler on my car, litterally I bought it at tractor supply it sounds kind of funny but isn't too loud inside the car with the windows up but it is louder than the magnaflow I had on my last shadow but I also had a more restrictive setup on my last car.

Birddog
09-30-2007, 02:56 AM
Im looking at the MagnaFlow XL 3 chamber,its stainless and looks as if it flows well and still cuts the resonance.Keep the Ideas coming as it will be a little bit before I get one.

I had that one for a while on Omni. It drones big time at cruise but sounded great to me plus you can hear the spool up from a block away.

t3rse
10-01-2007, 12:42 PM
nothing that flows well will be quiet, power == noise.

TurboII
10-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Dynomaxx Unltra flow is the best bang for your buck. Its has that wrx sound at Idel and has a great mid tone as you drive and the best part is it doesnt create know back pressure what so ever.

turbovanmanČ
10-01-2007, 07:02 PM
I guess with me having an auto, I am cursed. My Dynomax drones badly so I am going to redo it with a Hooker Proflow or whatever they call it. Gary D put one on his van and no drone.

welby
10-01-2007, 07:23 PM
I put a Magnaflow 2.5" glasspack style muffler on mine and it drones quite a bit. It did quiet it down quite a bit and has a good tone to it but the in-car drone is noticeable.

WVRampage
10-01-2007, 09:32 PM
there is a local shop that has abunch of cheap knock offs so I may give them a call.

TurboII
10-02-2007, 12:33 AM
what does drones mean?
what does it do?

cordes
10-02-2007, 06:23 PM
what does drones mean?
what does it do?

To drone is to make a loud single pitch note which is considered highly annoying.

turbovanmanČ
10-02-2007, 06:58 PM
what does drones mean?
what does it do?

To drone is to make a loud single pitch note which is considered highly annoying.

Its hard to describe but its a loud booming noise thats at the right level to drive you insane over a period of time. It seems the younger you are, the less it annoys you. Back when I was 16, my cars were friggin loud, now, I want it quiet inside. My diesel van, I put the largest, quietest muffler I could on as I do long trips and I like to listen to the radio, without blasting it or wearing ear plugs, lol!

WVRampage
10-02-2007, 09:23 PM
I removed the cut out plate on the back of my warlock and the drone on the highway is less now than when it was on there so I may just cut the muffler off and put a nice long crome tip of some kind on there,Im still not sure yet.

TurboII
10-03-2007, 01:26 AM
well my Lebaron has your typical 3" exhaust sound but i noticed the larger the pipe the lower the tone went before with a 1 7/8 pipe it would whistle at acceleration LMAO.

My car has a nice sound i would say its not too quite but you hear something i can still have a conversion with my girlfriend and still have the radio on at a descent volume with out having till yell unless the system is on LOL.

t3rse
10-03-2007, 10:55 AM
what does drones mean?
what does it do?

at certain a rpm you hit the resonant frequency and the whole car vibrates and make a deep buzzing sound. it is nearly unavoidable on a good flowing system. mine hits it around 3200, however, even with the 3 inch dynomax and full 3 inch side exit on my omni you can still have a conversation on the phone with the windows up or down.

soon i'll be running 4 inch with no muffler (4inch mufflers are expensive...), i'll let you know how that goes...

overlordsshadow
10-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Mufflers are for the weak. But some days I wouldn't mind having one. Just have such a restrictive exhuast when hooked up though. Have it straight piped right now but the pipe slid halfway inline with the rest of the exhuast and as soon as I noticed the car was quiter I could feel it quit pulling sooner in the rpm band than usual.

glhturbo1985
12-28-2007, 03:51 PM
i have a 2.5" swing valve on my omni, a cat and a dynomax muffler hanging in the back of my 85 glh that's packing a TII. I honestly can rarely hear my turbo spool because of the deep note my exhaust is constantly spitting.
then on my 84 Turbo Z (automatic) with stock exhaust and all.... it spools up like a mofo and I love it.. i honestly will turn the radio down just to listen to the turbo working.
I WOULD JUST REMIND YOU TO DECIDE WHAT YOU LIKE HEARING BETTER, THE TURBO OR THE EXHAUST, YOU CAN RARELY HEAR BOTH!!!

t3rse
12-28-2007, 08:07 PM
i had a 3 inch and you could hear the turbo turning at idle, it was louder as crap in boost but the loudest thing you'd hear was the whistle, this was with both a s60 and hybrid...