PDA

View Full Version : GLH flush mounted rear bumper

hman1991
09-25-2007, 07:37 PM
thought this came out cool. my buddy had some alum brackets made for my rear bumper. it brings it in nice and tight with the body. came out prety cool. check it out.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/hman1991/GLH/PICT6374.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/hman1991/GLH/PICT6372.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y278/hman1991/GLH/PICT6379.jpg

Turbodave
09-25-2007, 09:13 PM
I like it!

cordes
09-25-2007, 10:08 PM
I too think it looks really good. It won't help the "pushability" though. ;)

2.216VTurbo
09-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Nah, I think the Omni rear bumpers look great 6" from the car:lol:

Looks good, someone did it a few years ago too IIRC. Santa Fe blue car I think...

Big_P
09-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Nah, I think the Omni rear bumpers look great 6" from the car:lol:

Looks good, someone did it a few years ago too IIRC. Santa Fe blue car I think...

I thought they put Rabbit bumpers on their Omni?

SL#189
09-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Very nice!!

How many sets did he make? ;)

hman1991
09-26-2007, 07:32 PM
Very nice!!

How many sets did he make? ;)

only 1 but i may be able to get more. i can ask.

tryingbe
09-30-2007, 01:18 AM
Next question is, can we get a group buy and how much?

Birddog
09-30-2007, 02:09 AM
Someone just did that recently here or at B-M with the front and rear. Looks awesome! Definately beats the Locomotive bumper look Ma Mopar gave em!

Why not just mod the factory bracket? Assuming the bumper hasn't fallen off already that is..

(do ya really like the fart cannon??)

Dodgeglht
09-30-2007, 03:03 AM
I do like that. gives it a cleaner look. Nice job to your friend on the brackets!
Matt

devlish
10-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Why not just mod the factory bracket? Assuming the bumper hasn't fallen off already that is.. that's what i was thinking... cut a few inches out, reweld, and maybe weld a small rod in there for extra support in the inner part.

either way... LOOKS GOOD if you ask me!!! maybe i'll have to do that to my front/rear this year!! only problem is... what do you do when the rubber end caps are too long then to snap onto the little stud on the fenders/qtr panel??

hman1991
10-01-2007, 07:04 PM
i trimmed the cap down. and i was thinkin i could glue the piece that was on the bumper back on the back of the cap. otherwise i was just gonna use a pan head screw painted black.

4 l-bodies
10-03-2007, 01:35 AM
that's what i was thinking... cut a few inches out, reweld, and maybe weld a small rod in there for extra support in the inner part.

either way... LOOKS GOOD if you ask me!!! maybe i'll have to do that to my front/rear this year!! only problem is... what do you do when the rubber end caps are too long then to snap onto the little stud on the fenders/qtr panel??

This was done on my buddies GLHS down in San Antonio many years ago. He is a original owner GLHS. How many of those are there? He cut down the stock brackets. The real solution to the end caps is to use the very early shorter caps on the first couple/three years of production. I can't post pics on this forum, but if someone wants to see what these look like, I can send you the pics to post.
Todd Nelson

cordes
10-03-2007, 11:16 AM
If you send me the pics I will post them.

turbojerk
10-04-2007, 08:36 PM
I did the same thing....Other end though!

http://a914.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/60/l_7b6bedaec611a948ef47a9a6a2965641.jpg

Dodgeglht
10-04-2007, 08:54 PM
The way it looks makes it look more like the Talbot Horizon. Alot cleaner look to bumpers that are worthless to begin with. When I lightly bumped the back bumper on my old GLH with the front bumper of my Dynasty it caved in & needed it & the brackets replaced. Stupid weak design

hman1991
10-04-2007, 09:11 PM

http://a914.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/60/l_7b6bedaec611a948ef47a9a6a2965641.jpg

dang it now i am gonna have to do the same thing. i wish my lower valence wasn't broken. anyone have a spare?

4 l-bodies
10-05-2007, 02:24 AM

First of all nice job! My buddy who lives down in HOT San Antonio, TX had a few issues with his car running warmer than it should have after shortening his front bumper. I never did get a definitive answer whether this was because of the cut off airflow to the bottom of the radiator, or if he had other issues. Fresh, tight motor, marginal radiator, plugged heater core, etc, etc, etc.
This mod definitely makes the radiator see less air. At least the bottom portion of the radiator.
He ended up opening the bottom of the bumper to promote more airflow to the radiator. You cannot see this mod without looking at the car from underneath it. Something seemed to work, as the car no longer runs warm.
How does your cars cooling system work with the front bumper like this? How much HP is your motor running approx?
Todd Nelson

turbojerk
10-05-2007, 05:17 AM
First of all nice job! My buddy who lives down in HOT San Antonio, TX had a few issues with his car running warmer than it should have after shortening his front bumper. I never did get a definitive answer whether this was because of the cut off airflow to the bottom of the radiator, or if he had other issues. Fresh, tight motor, marginal radiator, plugged heater core, etc, etc, etc.
This mod definitely makes the radiator see less air. At least the bottom portion of the radiator.
He ended up opening the bottom of the bumper to promote more airflow to the radiator. You cannot see this mod without looking at the car from underneath it. Something seemed to work, as the car no longer runs warm.
How does your cars cooling system work with the front bumper like this? How much HP is your motor running approx?
Todd Nelson

While mounting the bumper up I too noticed that there was less room for air to travel under the bumper. I opted to drill 6-2"Ø holes along the underside of the bumper to try and allow for more airflow to the bottom of the radiator. So far I've seen no cooling issues and I originally did this mod in early spring this year so it's seen some hot summer driving....

T

2.216VTurbo
10-05-2007, 11:56 AM
That really does change the whole look of the front end-for the better:thumb: Sweet. Looks aggressive with the flat black hood:eyebrows:

Is this the car with the curvy and shiny IC tubing under hood, can't remember...

hman1991
10-05-2007, 09:18 PM
when i was looking at doing my frontend i figured i would cut the botom of the bumper the width of the grill. i was just gona make a notch at each end of the bumper were the grill ends then bend the center section up on like a 45 degree angle. would make like a scoop when combined with the air dam.