PDA

View Full Version : Datalogging: PC or Palm?

ShelGame
09-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Over on MoparChem, they found a USB to TTL cable (http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=TTL-232Rvirtualkey62620000virtualkey626-DLP-TTL232R)that should be able to be used with our SCI port no problem. This cable also supports any integer baud rate from 300 to 300000. With this (and obviously, the proper PC software), it should be possible to datalog any stock Chrysler ECU.

So, the poll of the day: Which would you prefer? Datalogging with a laptop/PC, or datalogging on a Palm Handheld?

The results will help me determine if I should finish MiniDash first, or start on a PC logging AP (that I had planned to do anyway).

Turbodave
09-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Personally I would be more interested in datalogging on a laptop. I have a palm but I like the bigger GUI on a laptop.

Bubba
09-25-2007, 11:35 AM
laptop...

Turbodave
09-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Added a poll to this thread

mcsvt
09-25-2007, 12:11 PM
I agree on the Laptop setup. I also have a Palm so I could go that way as well...

Voting Laptop.

sdac guy
09-25-2007, 12:27 PM
I voted laptop also. Though at this time I don't own either a laptop or palm device. :D

Barry

BadAssPerformance
09-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Laptop... mainly cuz my old Handspring is a tad outdated :D

inmyshadow
09-25-2007, 04:56 PM
I vote Palm since I just bought a Treo to use for minidash logging.

It would be a waste of my money to use my laptop. I prefer a palm because a laptop is to cumbersome to have around for data logging. Plus its more expensive to replace a laptop vs palm.

later

GLHNSLHT2
09-25-2007, 09:21 PM
laptop. Rob have you finished your relocatable 89T1 program you were talking about 3-4 weeks ago?

ShelGame
09-25-2007, 09:37 PM
laptop. Rob have you finished your relocatable 89T1 program you were talking about 3-4 weeks ago?

Yes and no. I thought I was finished, but I get a no-start (not even the ASD relay kicks) when I tried it in my car. So, I still have some debugging to do. I found that my dis-assembler is missing some commands that I'm pretty sure the T1 uses, so I have to go find those and fix them manually.

I'll be at the track all weekend with not much to do between rounds (hopefully), so I plan to do that this weekend. Maybe even finish up my T3 dis-assembly.

cordes
09-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Rob, I voted for the laptop. That cable cost me $20, and if I can get the darn thing to work with my laptop that will be well under half the cost of what the cables, RS232 converter, etc. would cost me for the palm. I love the features and display of MD, yet I am trying to put the GF through grad school so the cheaper way got the nod this time.

Since I do have the palm that I bought from you last year I may put that in the 600 once it is up and running so that I don't have to constantly be fighting the GF for the laptop. :nod:

GLHNSLHT2
09-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Can't wait to try it out Rob. Hopefully you get it debugged soon.

starman
09-27-2007, 12:01 PM
laptop

ShelGame
10-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Wow, it looks like PC datalogging wins out by a huge margin.

Don't worry guys, I plan to finish MiniDash also. But, if I can get this cable to work, I think I'm going to scrap my plans to build a general datalogger based on the Palm.

The cable showed up in the mail over the weekend. I'll see if I can get it to talk to the car...

cordes
10-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Wow, it looks like PC datalogging wins out by a huge margin.

Don't worry guys, I plan to finish MiniDash also. But, if I can get this cable to work, I think I'm going to scrap my plans to build a general datalogger based on the Palm.

The cable showed up in the mail over the weekend. I'll see if I can get it to talk to the car...

If you can get it to work please let me know what I am doing wrong. :thumb: