PDA

View Full Version : Cobalt SS VS SRT 4

Jasmeleg08
09-24-2007, 09:49 PM
I am looking for some info here guys. In the past couple years I have gone through car like they were toys. All of them I bought cheap and then they crap out on me. Am I good at working on car, yes, I have done it my whole life and then some. My dad has always worked on cars and I know I am not very old but still I know my way around an engine. Anyways I have been looking into getting a new car. Right now I have a '88 Shelby Z and its just starting to show its age. Parts are starting to get hard to find everything is just wearing out and after I fix one thing another breaks. I know you are going to get this with every car but maybe I could have less. I have been looking at 2 cars a Cobalt SS supercharged or a SRT 4. I can get both used for around the same price and was wondering what you guys though about them. As I am going to be going to college here I am looking at reliability both stock. I know that once you mod you are going to start breaking stuff but you can also mod safely. Both are pretty close in 1/4mi times but the SRT 4 seems to stand out. Although I have heard that they are more unreliable than the Cobalts. Since I know there are many SRt 4 owners here and a couple Cobalt guys I was hoping some of you guys could shed some knowledge on my situation and maybe help me make my decision. I want something they will be cool right out of the box. I have spent the last couple years driving sleepers and it just didn't do anything for me. I guess I am a tuner guy at heart but also a TD guy so the SRT 4 holds a special place in my heart. I have been in both car and prefer the interior feel of the SRT 4 where as I am not a fan of the Cobalt seats. I am about 6'2" 150lbs so I fit on both seats very well and they hold me nice. I like the blower wine of the SS but still like the potential BOV of the SRT 4. Tell me what you think. If you think this all if a dumb idea say that too but back up your points. Don't give hollow info. You have to put up or shut up. Also no bashing of cars. If you don't either tell me why but don't just say you hate it because it is a Chevy or something like that. Thanks for your time. If you think I have skipped over a car that fall into the same category please say what it is.

raccoon
09-24-2007, 09:51 PM
everyone here is going to side with the dodge. super neon ftw!

GLHNSLHT2
09-24-2007, 10:08 PM
the turbo has way way more potential and should get better MPG on the freeway since you're not using motor power to drive it. And as far as track performance the SRT is way better. My 87 New yorker is just behind an SRT at the track, but my new yorker annialates an SS Cobalt :)

cordes
09-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Have you seen the video of Bryan's van vs. the modded cobalt SS?

ekimdam
09-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Cobalt = New Chevy Cavalier

Put it to you this way, My 16 year old STOCK MR2 Turbo blows off Cobalt SS's with ease. I get beat (barely) by stock SRT4s.

Don't handicap yourself with a Cobalt. Just another good example of why GM can't make a decent car to save their company.

Jasmeleg08
09-24-2007, 10:26 PM
haha I was thinking to myself while writing that thing it is a dumb move to write it here. Anyone at all for the Cobalt? I know there has to be one of you.

uwilluz
09-24-2007, 10:53 PM
I personally prefer the looks of the Cobalt (Much better interior, IMO) however, if I was picking a car to race and REALLY enjoy, the SRT-4 is a no-brainer.

BadAssPerformance
09-24-2007, 11:41 PM
SRT-4 FTW!!!1!!!one

...with that said, wasn't there a '04 magazine article that had the SRT-4 vs. the Saturn Redlone and another car or two and on a roadcourse the Redine had a slightly better time? Maybe easier to drive with less HP & wheelspin? :D

fleckster
09-25-2007, 12:05 AM
That article was testing the then new Saturn Ion Redline to an '03 SRT without the Quaife. Therefore, yes, on a roadcoarse with some tight turns, the SRT-4 with an open diff has a little more problem putting power down.

There are way more performance parts for the SRT-4 and you're boost is going to be much more limited in the Cobalt/Ion because of the lack of an intercooler. GM knows they screwed up by using the supercharger. That's why they dropped it already. They went with the turbo set up in the Solstice and Sky. I would think that if they come back out with a boosted SS, it will be turbocharged. Oh, and I have yet to see any Cobalts running in the 11s where there are a bunch of SRT-4s that can (if they can get traction). We know there are several out there making over 500hp. I have yet to hear of any Colbalts near that power level.

uwilluz
09-25-2007, 12:15 AM
boost is going to be much more limited in the Cobalt/Ion because of the lack of an intercooler.

But they DO have an intercooler!

fleckster
09-25-2007, 12:46 AM
Should I have said a "descent" intercooler"? One that will handle to cooling chores of 20+psi?

uwilluz
09-25-2007, 01:16 AM
Ah... guess I misunderstood your sarcasm :p

88lancershelby
09-25-2007, 01:21 AM
I wanted an SRT-4 but bought an SS S/C instead. I love it, but there are more mods available for an SRT-4. I bought a Stage II and unless I want to void my warranty, which I don't, there's not much left to do aside of an exaust and header. There are some places that sell Stage 3 ,4 and 5 but, I'm a little weary!! Ekimdan you sure the SS was supercharged? SS Base come with a 2.4L. You'd know by the very loud whine, if it was supercharged.

raccoon
09-25-2007, 02:13 AM
well the one positive thing about the cobalt is it couldn't possibly have a worse crash rating then a neon.

Ondonti
09-25-2007, 02:26 AM
No, the cobalt SS of same year is not comparable in track performance to an srt-4...especially in 1/4 performance.

The magazine articles where they are almost close are sandbagging the srt-4 badly as the 2005 model is .4 seconds slower then the 2003 even though it has LSD and more power and has proven with real drivers to be faster then the 2003.....and the SS times are a bit faster then reality.

Keito
09-25-2007, 07:16 AM
If your going to college, I hope you'll have a money tree
behind the dorm for insurance on the SRT-4.

BadAssPerformance
09-25-2007, 08:23 AM
That article was testing the then new Saturn Ion Redline to an '03 SRT without the Quaife. Therefore, yes, on a roadcoarse with some tight turns, the SRT-4 with an open diff has a little more problem putting power down.

yeah, thats the one I remember :thumb:

contraption22
09-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Rumor has it that the '09 Cobalt SS will use a turbocharged version of the Ecotec engine.

Everything I have read about the Cobalt is positive. Comparing it to the SRT-4, maybe not as quick, but the handling is comparable or better. Also fit & finish is supposedly better on the Cobalt.

Another issue... if you have to buy new, you won't be getting a Neon SRT-4, you'd have to get the new and unproven Caliber SRT-4. A couple of things have me concerned about the reliability of the new World engine, namely the reduction in rated power output, and Mopar's reluctance to offer upgrade packages as they did for the Neon.

Anyway....Some may be reluctant to buy an import, but the reality is that the Mazda 3 is a really nice car, and I think it would be even better with 263hp. I would not exclude it from my list of test drives if I was looking to replace my SRT-4.

t3rse
09-25-2007, 10:12 AM
the mazda 3 is really good choice, but a bit heavy, but more refined than the other two. if you are planning on keeping the car mostly stock, any of these will be good choices, but if you think one day you might go hog wild, the srt is the only choice. of couse, you can buy an evo for about the same price used...

ekimdam
09-25-2007, 09:38 PM
I wanted an SRT-4 but bought an SS S/C instead. I love it, but there are more mods available for an SRT-4. I bought a Stage II and unless I want to void my warranty, which I don't, there's not much left to do aside of an exaust and header. There are some places that sell Stage 3 ,4 and 5 but, I'm a little weary!! Ekimdam you sure the SS was supercharged? SS Base come with a 2.4L. You'd know by the very loud whine, if it was supercharged.

Yep. Absolutely positive. There are several, including the Ions, running aroud here in good'ol Dayton. Such a lovely GM town. :rolleyes:

I use my MR2 as a measuring stick. If I can beat something with that, then the TURD would kill it. It's not fast (the MR2) @ 14.88 standing quarters ,but from a roll it rocks!

Yeah I haven't been at all impressed by the SS Cobalts or even the GTO's for that matter. It would just seem that GM can't make anything fast anymore unless it says 'Corvette' on it. I have no love for GM at all actually, but I would almost force myself to respect something from them that could beat 16 year old STOCK technology. I guess... If I have to....

Vigo
09-25-2007, 10:16 PM
d00d if you're complaining about mid-engine RWD launch compared to a td launch... thats just weird lol.

fleckster
09-25-2007, 10:27 PM
d00d if you're complaining about mid-engine RWD launch compared to a td launch... thats just weird lol.

You haven't seen the TURD launch though! lol

Mike, you just better not let your diesel truck hear you slamming on GM. It might leave you stranded on the side of the road somewhere...oh wait...(Oh Snap!) Just kidding! ;)

ekimdam
09-26-2007, 07:11 AM

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about RWD launches. It's just the the MR2 is stock-stock. I don't really like to thrash it on a launch. I only took it to a strip once just to see what it would do completely stock. Funny thing tho... there was another MR2 there that night. I didn't get a chance to see what was under the engine cover but he was running 12.1's and granny shifting.:nod:

You haven't seen the TURD launch though! lol

Mike, you just better not let your diesel truck hear you slamming on GM. It might leave you stranded on the side of the road somewhere...oh wait...(Oh Snap!) Just kidding! ;)

Hell yes the TURD rocks off the line!:evil:
Including breaking two axles on a launch at the same time.:confused:

ROFLMAO.... yeah thanks again Fleck for the uh... 'extra' fuel. :thumb:

slasky
09-26-2007, 08:30 AM
From what I have seen at the track, stock srt-4s are high 13s and stock ss cobalts are mid to low 14s in the quarter.
with 24k on my 04 srt4 I have had 2 injectors go bad at separate times, power steering pump replaced, one axle, one motor mount and a bad TPS wiring harness. It has not broke in a while and every thing was covered under warranty. Good thing I still have almost 5/50 left on the warranty. :)

I drove the saturn redline before buying my srt. I definitely enjoyed the srt better so I bought it. D/C cars are not very well built but then GM is not the greatest either. So if you are looking for a reliable car, make sure it says Honda on it. If you are looking for a fun car then get the srt4.

Subliminal
09-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Before you consider either, check with your insurance company. For me (32 and married with a clean driving record) it would cost more to insure an SRT4 than all four of my other vehicles combined.

Something to consider.

ottawa rogue
09-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Hey Fleckster, so what you're saying is that it might just be like a rock....you know it just sits there. :D

fleckster
09-26-2007, 06:38 PM
From what I have seen at the track, stock srt-4s are high 13s and stock ss cobalts are mid to low 14s in the quarter.
with 24k on my 04 srt4 I have had 2 injectors go bad at separate times, power steering pump replaced, one axle, one motor mount and a bad TPS wiring harness. It has not broke in a while and every thing was covered under warranty. Good thing I still have almost 5/50 left on the warranty. :)

I drove the saturn redline before buying my srt. I definitely enjoyed the srt better so I bought it. D/C cars are not very well built but then GM is not the greatest either. So if you are looking for a reliable car, make sure it says Honda on it. If you are looking for a fun car then get the srt4.

My '03 SRT-4 has run 14.1 bone stock without even adjusting the air pressure in the tires and I was very consistant with it running that back to back all day. I know there is a TSB on some of the later ('04 and '05) cars for the TPS wiring harness being a bit too short which is what is putting pressure on them and causing them to go bad. I haven't heard about any of the other issues you mentioned being common problems. I only have 11,300 miles on mine but the only issue other than the exhaust tips being crooked from the factory (another TSB and one that I've not bothered to fix) was a loose coolant hose clamp coming off the water pump and three drops of coolant to drip in the garage. It was also fixed (tightened) under warranty. Other than that, it has been trouble free.

slasky
09-26-2007, 07:53 PM
I have hit 13.9 with mine 100% stock. I am sure with decent tires it would hit a 13.6 or 13.7.

GLHSKEN
09-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Yeah I haven't been at all impressed by the SS Cobalts or even the GTO's for that matter. It would just seem that GM can't make anything fast anymore unless it says 'Corvette' on it. I have no love for GM at all actually, but I would almost force myself to respect something from them that could beat 16 year old STOCK technology. I guess... If I have to....

Ahemmm!!! Drive the damn Solstice next time you come down... Your MR-2 (while a BEAUTIFUL example) would not stand a chance. SRT-4 owners beware. A cobalt with the eco-tek 2.0L turbo would be a car to be concerned about....

ekimdam
09-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Hey Fleckster, so what you're saying is that it might just be like a rock....you know it just sits there. :D

Yeah... it's pretty good at sitting there....It moves, just not as well as it should. To be corrected by some Marine injectors and a reprogrammed ECU. :clap:

Oh... and and having fuel in the tank helps too :drum:

contraption22
09-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Ahemmm!!! Drive the damn Solstice next time you come down... Your MR-2 (while a BEAUTIFUL example) would not stand a chance. SRT-4 owners beware. A cobalt with the eco-tek 2.0L turbo would be a car to be concerned about....

Definitely. A turbocharged Ecotech Cobalt would be a baddass little car. Plus... if they maintain current engine management technology, it will be easily custom flashed.

ekimdam
09-26-2007, 11:20 PM

OK... so I forgot about the Solsticeseses.....:banghead:

but technically they're Opels. :D

....searching franticly to find that new boost controller I was gonna put in....

ottawa rogue
09-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Oh... and and having fuel in the tank helps too :drum:

i hope my wife don't see this, i'll never hear the end of it
let's just say that i like to get the last mile out of a tank of gas:D

fleckster
09-27-2007, 04:48 AM
Too bad we'll never truly know what your Solstice GXP Auto runs Ken since Patty won't let you take it to the track! Until then, my SRT-4 is quicker!

turbokid
10-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Yeah I haven't been at all impressed by the SS Cobalts or even the GTO's for that matter.

I have a friend with a Brand new GTO, 6.0l mostly stock. Has got a coupla of mods on it and it kicked --- on a new gt500, so i cant rule out the GTO even though i am a dodge kid at heart

slasky
10-27-2007, 12:25 PM

There is a rumor floating around about an 08.5' cobalt with the turbo instead of supercharger.

GM has not announced the arrival of the turbocharged cobalt, but this is the first time any documents from GM show the LNF motor in the cobalt.
http://www.gm.com/explore/fuel_economy/altfuel/emissions/50state/pdf/2008MY.pdf

Aries_Turbo
10-31-2007, 08:55 PM
Definitely. A turbocharged Ecotech Cobalt would be a baddass little car. Plus... if they maintain current engine management technology, it will be easily custom flashed.

hp tuners already has the solstice/sky ecu partially cracked. they still have to do some work though as they cant get past all the torque calculations yet... IE, if it exceeds 260ftlbs calculated, it will reduce stuff till it gets back there. i know a guy that has a solstice and the HP tuners stuff and he has made a few mods to make more power and the ecu actaully pulled the boost back to maintain 26lbs/min of airflow.

Brian