PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a R/T - What do you think?

Dave
09-24-2007, 06:23 PM
There's this guy down the road from my work selling a red '91 Spirit R/T. It has 136,000 miles on it. Chrysler performed the recall and installed new core plugs, the clutch pedal felt fine and the synchros felt alright with me just sitting in it off. It has a few problems though... it needs 4 new tires, it doesn't have a muffler (not really a bad thing to me;)), it needs all 4 new brakes, and it spun a rod bearing he said. :( The car did sit for about 2 years on blocks.

Now he only wants $1,200 for it and the body is almost perfect. It has two rust spots. One in the upper pass front corner on the roof and one on the left inner-side of the deck lid. The rear bumper cover has a pinch where the tailpipe used to be and pass side door has a scuffmark where it says "DOHC," the front bumper cover was sanded down in hopes to paint it but he didn't get that far, the grill has a few fins broke, and it needs a front right fog light/bracket.

But for $1,200 I don't think I could beat up. It would be here now if I had money. My loan isn't here yet and it was supposed to be here this weekend. So very soon I should be able to buy it. I'm only concerned with the spun rod bearing. I'm going to mic everything on the crank, including the rod and main journals on both sides. Install new rod/main bearings and it clean it out real well. I just hope there isn't much damage to the rods or crank. If so, well okay I can replace the crank no biggie, but I would have to pull the head and pop the pistons out to replace the rods.

Can I get a crank somewhere for around $100? What about rods? Will the 2.2 T2 rods work at all? Just curious.

Let me know what you guys think! This car is beautiful and I would love to have it. They are getting rare and I don't want to see this guy part it out.

-BryanDave

RJ138
09-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Definitly worth it! Check for coolant in the spark plug valley and on top of the transmission. For 1200 dollars you can't really go wrong, I would also guess you could get it for $1000.

There is a T3 short block for sale on TD.com for 200 bucks that was rebuilt 1000 miles ago. You might want to check that out.

-Ryan

Will Martin
09-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Offer him $1,000, cash in hand.

turbovanmanČ
09-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Well Bryan, the trouble is, you don't know how bad the damage is. It could have chewed up the crank, no biggie, you get a cast one and use a regular T2 rod but the what else happened? I bet it needs intermediate shaft bearings, and what about the cams and rocker arms? they could be gonig and there big bucks. I would plan for the worst and if not, you miles ahead. The rebuilt short block for $200 sounds like a steal.

I would consider Rob's SRT van, from what I've seen, all you have to do is paint it.

WVRampage
09-24-2007, 07:07 PM
Keep driving the van and tear down the engine have it looked at my a machine shop and then rebuild it with some forged pistons,make sure the botom end is right as we all know you are gona run the hell out of it and eventualy break something.By the summer you would have it ready to go and a reliable car but thats just what I would do.

unluckyty
09-24-2007, 07:42 PM
I'd say get, if you can afford to, but plan on the possibility of soaking major money in it.
Specifically lifters. With that mileage, unless it has been changed, new clutch, pp and flywheel resurfaced also, especially at the power you'll want to make.

Greg

Scottmon
09-25-2007, 08:51 AM
I'd say get it for as little as you can. So...if the motor is trashed you don't have much in the car and makes it easier to justify a rebuild. On the other hand, if you get it cheap and the motor is REALLY trashed, you could just part the car out. Either way, get it CHEAP.

Dave
09-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Keep driving the van and tear down the engine have it looked at my a machine shop and then rebuild it with some forged pistons,make sure the botom end is right as we all know you are gona run the hell out of it and eventualy break something.By the summer you would have it ready to go and a reliable car but thats just what I would do.

The T3's come stock forged. I'll look into that block. Couldn't hurt to have a spare. I wouldn't dare part it. I just want to try and save it. I'd like to repair it, get it running and go from there. Mods will come down the road. I'm still waiting for my check to come in, but as soon as it does I'll trailer it home and get some pics.

bfarroo
09-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Even if a bearing has spun it's cheap to have the stock crank turned, and at that mileage probably worth while doing anyways. 75 bucks for main and rod bearings to get it running again. But like anything once you have the motor out if may be a good idea to have everything checked over. The bores could be cleaned up and new rings installed, all new seals and gaskets ect.... Who knows until you get the car and have a chance to look it over.

Turbodave
09-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Sounds like a decent price. Make sure to take your time and fix it right, and don't let it burn through your school loan either. A broken R/T will not be what gets you a job in 5 years and TIII parts can get expensive fast.

Dave
09-26-2007, 12:17 AM
Sounds like a decent price. Make sure to take your time and fix it right, and don't let it burn through your school loan either. A broken R/T will not be what gets you a job in 5 years and TIII parts can get expensive fast.

Well I already have a beater, per say, for the winter. I wrote out every possibility and alternative into affording the car. Basically it'll just sit for the first 3 months until my next check. I'm trying to be careful and not spend all my money. I'd like to live a little too, though. I just want a real nice, quick car for next season.

Thanks for the input guys. I can't wait. :leghump:

GLHNSLHT2
09-26-2007, 12:43 AM
jeeze you guys. 1st how many times has dave already tried to sell his van in need of money cause he's a poor starving college student??? And now you guys are talking him into one of the biggest money pits in the TD world??? DAVE PASS ON IT! SAVE YOUR MONEY UNTIL YOU CAN REALLY AFFORD A NICE ONE! Jeeze.

Turbo224
09-26-2007, 04:14 AM
As a TD nut, I would find it hard to pass a good deal on an R/T, but as a college student, I wouldn't dare spend student loans on car parts. I have been able to pay for most of my tuition out of pocket. I haven't always had the money buy all the car stuff I really want, but not having that debt hanging over me head is priceless. Just my opinion. Debt is the Devil as far as I am concerned.

Debt=:evil:

denviola
09-26-2007, 05:17 AM
There are lots of posts in this section and on the other board that will help you decide what to do. Simon wrote above that engines in these can be serious dollars, yes it uses the same block but with differences. Since you want to save it, thinking you want not just fast but nice and somewhat original. Remember that there were slightly less than 2000 R/Ts made between the Daytonas and Spirits. Parts you would try to find could be really expensive. The R/T I bought was missing air cleaner snorkel, timing cover and had a crack in air box. Close to $150 to replace those since I bought a cracked snorkel and will repair it (uncracked snorkels are $150 and up). The A/C will probably be non-functional, and the compressors and lines were R/T only. Just some examples of things that would be minor on other TDs, and these are things you don't really need for it to run. The things you do need to get it running may be much more.

Don't blow your school money on it. Think it through. Your posts suggest you want a fast car and will "exercise" its potential. Hope you have something else as a daily driver. This is not just a TD, it is expensive to repair.

86Shelby
09-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Don't blow your school money on it. Think it through. Your posts suggest you want a fast car and will "exercise" its potential. Hope you have something else as a daily driver. This is not just a TD, it is expensive to repair.

:clap:

I've spent nearly 2k on my R/T since it broke and all it REALLY needed was an oil pump and i-shaft. They snowball, FAST.

turbovanmanČ
09-26-2007, 09:21 PM
:clap:

I've spent nearly 2k on my R/T since it broke and all it REALLY needed was an oil pump and i-shaft. They snowball, FAST.

Tell me about it, lol. I had a bit of money budgeted to finish it off than I sank another $1500 into it.

I have been scouring Ebay and have lots of spares, cost me alot of money though when I could have saved it. I have 2 sets of rocker arms, tons of lifters, 3 pairs of cams, 2 cylinder heads, 1 intake, and one complete engine, 1 power steering pump, 2 sets of brackets, a/c compressor, and tons of misc stuff. I could had a nice holiday with the money I have in spares, lol!

Turbo224
09-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Tell me about it, lol. I had a bit of money budgeted to finish it off than I sank another $1500 into it.

I have been scouring Ebay and have lots of spares, cost me alot of money though when I could have saved it. I have 2 sets of rocker arms, tons of lifters, 3 pairs of cams, 2 cylinder heads, 1 intake, and one complete engine, 1 power steering pump, 2 sets of brackets, a/c compressor, and tons of misc stuff. I could had a nice holiday with the money I have in spares, lol!

Haha! Isn't that the truth! In order to own a T3, you almost HAVE to have at least one whole motor for parts. I bought a wrecked R/T for the motor and I have already been pulling off little stuff to use on my current build even though I want the extra motor for another project. The only way for the average guy with no money (like me) to do a proper build on these is to save for a long time, or just do it very slowly. I have used both techniques. But in the end it is totally worth it! :banana-mario:

turbovanmanČ
09-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Haha! Isn't that the truth! In order to own a T3, you almost HAVE to have at least one whole motor for parts. I bought a wrecked R/T for the motor and I have already been pulling off little stuff to use on my current build even though I want the extra motor for another project. The only way for the average guy with no money (like me) to do a proper build on these is to save for a long time, or just do it very slowly. I have used both techniques. But in the end it is totally worth it! :banana-mario:

No kidding, :confused:

Hopefully I'll let you know later if its worth it, ;)

Directconnection
09-26-2007, 10:21 PM
#1) I thought you were selling the van to get your priorities straight.

#2) Think you had issues with your TDs before...

#3) Great deal

#4) Spun rod bearings are a major overhaul, not a replace bearings situation. You will most likely need to have the crank turned unless real lucky (usually not on a td as they usually neglect them and run them until the crank is taost

#5) Any '89+ 2.2 TBI cast crank will work fine, but you will need to remove the balance shafts (no issues when 2.2)

#6) The rods are the same on a T-II, IV, and III except the T-III rods used arps from the factory I am told.

#7) You will need to have the rods resized no matter what. Any time a rod bearing spins, even for a bit, it heats the rod up big time to the point the housing bore of the rod(big end) distorts and you'll have another spun bearing to follow real soon. I know 2 people that did this "fix" and they spun the rod bearing again right away.

Take the rotating assembly out and do it right, or I will garauntee you'll be doing it over again, but with more damage the 2nd time around.

Remember this: "There's a reason the rod bearing spun" it's trying to tell you something.

There's this guy down the road from my work selling a red '91 Spirit R/T. It has 136,000 miles on it. Chrysler performed the recall and installed new core plugs, the clutch pedal felt fine and the synchros felt alright with me just sitting in it off. It has a few problems though... it needs 4 new tires, it doesn't have a muffler (not really a bad thing to me;)), it needs all 4 new brakes, and it spun a rod bearing he said. :( The car did sit for about 2 years on blocks.

Now he only wants $1,200 for it and the body is almost perfect. It has two rust spots. One in the upper pass front corner on the roof and one on the left inner-side of the deck lid. The rear bumper cover has a pinch where the tailpipe used to be and pass side door has a scuffmark where it says "DOHC," the front bumper cover was sanded down in hopes to paint it but he didn't get that far, the grill has a few fins broke, and it needs a front right fog light/bracket.

But for $1,200 I don't think I could beat up. It would be here now if I had money. My loan isn't here yet and it was supposed to be here this weekend. So very soon I should be able to buy it. I'm only concerned with the spun rod bearing. I'm going to mic everything on the crank, including the rod and main journals on both sides. Install new rod/main bearings and it clean it out real well. I just hope there isn't much damage to the rods or crank. If so, well okay I can replace the crank no biggie, but I would have to pull the head and pop the pistons out to replace the rods.

Can I get a crank somewhere for around $100? What about rods? Will the 2.2 T2 rods work at all? Just curious.

Let me know what you guys think! This car is beautiful and I would love to have it. They are getting rare and I don't want to see this guy part it out.

-BryanDave

Dave
09-28-2007, 09:54 PM
#1) I thought you were selling the van to get your priorities straight.

#2) Think you had issues with your TDs before...

#3) Great deal

#4) Spun rod bearings are a major overhaul, not a replace bearings situation. You will most likely need to have the crank turned unless real lucky (usually not on a td as they usually neglect them and run them until the crank is taost

#5) Any '89+ 2.2 TBI cast crank will work fine, but you will need to remove the balance shafts (no issues when 2.2)

#6) The rods are the same on a T-II, IV, and III except the T-III rods used arps from the factory I am told.

#7) You will need to have the rods resized no matter what. Any time a rod bearing spins, even for a bit, it heats the rod up big time to the point the housing bore of the rod(big end) distorts and you'll have another spun bearing to follow real soon. I know 2 people that did this "fix" and they spun the rod bearing again right away.

Take the rotating assembly out and do it right, or I will garauntee you'll be doing it over again, but with more damage the 2nd time around.

Remember this: "There's a reason the rod bearing spun" it's trying to tell you something.

Hm... good things to think of. No one bought my van, it ended up breaking and pops and I traded for a beater for the van. My roommate bailed on me and my landlord is letting out of my lease early, so I'm moving back home. I'm saving $800+ a month. I got enough money. I probally wont use my student loan for anything other than gas, paying off previous bills and buying a nice car.

This is probably the dumbest statement you may ever hear, but I'd rather not be living in a wealth of money, instead I'd rather live being happy and having some things that make me happy. I've always believe you pay your bills first and the leftover is yours. I have a lot extra to put into something. I'm a stupid young kid, I'm going to live like one. :D

turbovanmanČ
09-28-2007, 11:39 PM
Did you take all the goodies off the van before you traded it? :confused:

Dave
09-29-2007, 07:23 AM
No, I figured the running Acclaim was worth $2,500. The van is probably close to that price being busted. I wanted to real bad and I was going to sell it him for that price but I couldn't find a beater in time unless I wanted to pay $2,000. Instead I chose to get a car that I know how well it runs and I know its history 3 years back.

Speedeuphoria
10-06-2007, 07:41 PM
I've always believe you pay your bills first and the leftover is yours.

Need to pay your self 1st. Take your money as soon as you get it and put into a moneymarket account. As bills come around them pay them out of there. I use paypal's moneymarket. Then once you have $$ in the paypal account(2-3k or so) get into some stocks, I use Scottrade to trade online. Need to do lots of research to make good $$ and some of the timing is pure luck.

ShelbyZ
10-19-2007, 11:32 PM
I picked up the Spirit R/T on Thursday, sorry u will have to spend ur cash-ola on school, good luck !