PDA

View Full Version : TIII Cals

ShelGame
09-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Who's interested in doing thier own TIII Cals? I'm about 90% done with my dis-assembly of the 91 TIII code. I plan to incorporate the same basic features as in the other cals, but I thought I take suggestions on what you'd you'd like to see available.

This will be like my other cals posted here - there will be "base" (3-bar, +20, +40) cals to start tuning with, with special features you can enable or dis-able with D-Cal/CHeM.

I'll probably have it posted in a month or two, depending on how much time I can continue to put into it.

Will Martin
09-21-2007, 10:27 PM
What is the possibility of doing the '92/'93 Cals?

fleckster
09-21-2007, 10:40 PM
What is the possibility of doing the '92/'93 Cals?

Here, Here!

ShelGame
09-21-2007, 11:39 PM
I don't think it would be tough. I just need a .bin to look at. So far, I've only found the Mex .bins for the SBEC-II...

Pat
09-22-2007, 12:11 AM
i'm definitely interested!

WOP'R
09-22-2007, 12:37 AM
holy cr@p yeah!

turbovanmanČ
09-22-2007, 12:57 AM
I know mines not a REAL TIII but I'll let everyone know how my cal turns out. He has added a new feature, launch control, :clap:

unluckyty
09-23-2007, 07:20 AM
Very interested:D

Aries_Turbo
09-23-2007, 08:24 AM
just a question.... is there any reason that 92+ TIII folks cant just pop in the 91 ECU?

Brian

ShelGame
09-23-2007, 08:37 AM
There are some wiring differences. When I had both a '92 T1 and a '91 T1 Daytona's, I tried it. The '92 ECU would run my '91 car, but when I went to turn the key off, the engine kept running. Until I hit the brake pedal - then it would die. So, there was something funky going on there. The '91 computer wouldn't start the '92 car. I think I read that you can change a couple of pins on the 60-way and then it's fine. But, I don't know for sure.

Aries_Turbo
09-23-2007, 09:46 PM
i think it might be worth some folks looking into... i mean i think it would be much easier finding out the 90-91 vs 92+ differences in wiring than decoding all that assembly... at least it would be for me. :)

Brian

jonnyb
10-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Rob - I have been building a table file for d-cal from your old partial disassembly of the t3 code and would love to have a full disassembly to work from (still not savvy enough to understand it to create my own full dissy).

I see that you mentioned 3-bar. Does this mean that you've found all the map constants to allow a clean 3-bar cal to be built?

Also, is there an easy way to scale the 3d fuel and advance tables? I usually just use the scale function in d-cal, but I don't think that will work with the 3d tables. Will we have to mathematically calculate and scale each datapoint for the 3d stuff?

I'm definitely interested! My plan is to build a 2.5 T3 for my shadow convertible.

Jon

ShelGame
10-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Rob - I have been building a table file for d-cal from your old partial disassembly of the t3 code and would love to have a full disassembly to work from (still not savvy enough to understand it to create my own full dissy).

I see that you mentioned 3-bar. Does this mean that you've found all the map constants to allow a clean 3-bar cal to be built?

Also, is there an easy way to scale the 3d fuel and advance tables? I usually just use the scale function in d-cal, but I don't think that will work with the 3d tables. Will we have to mathematically calculate and scale each datapoint for the 3d stuff?

I'm definitely interested! My plan is to build a 2.5 T3 for my shadow convertible.

Jon

Yeah, the 3D tables in the T3 use a transfer function to translate portions of the MAP or RPM signal. They get better resolution this way; and in the ranges where it's most important for emmisions/driveability (low MAP/RPM). I know how I'm going to build a 3-bar cal for the T3, but I don't know how others have done it. I think my idea is pretty unique. The 3D tables won't be scaled at all. In fact, I intend to keep the exsisting 3D tables and not change a thing about them. :) The other MAP related tables constants will get scaled.

When I get it all done, I'll post the base 3-bar cals for all to use. But, I think I want to keep my source code to myself, for now. I may post the dis-assembled stock cals, though.

jonnyb
10-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Wow - OK - so you're doing some custom logic in the code to allow the tables to be used as is? That sounds pretty trick.

In your first post you said "who's interested in doing their own tIII cals". And then you mentioned 3bar/+20'/+40's. I'm assuming that if you are adding custom code, that code will be looking at some constants that are editable in d-cal/chem to know whether things should be scaled for 3bar or larger injectors. That would make is super easy to switch between setups!

If this assumption is correct, do you think it would be possible to do this same type of thing for 2.5 spark or is that an entirely different beast (pretty sure it is)?

Regardless of how you plan on doing the 3bar or larger injectors, my answer to your original post and your question on what I'd like to see is: a "base" 2.5 t3 cal :thumb:

Jon

ShelGame
10-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Well, it won't be easy to switch between 2- and 3-bar - no matter how you do it with the T3 code. Injectors should be no problem. I think I'm going to setup all of my "new" codebases to have a single constant to scale for injectors. We'll see. I need to get the bugs out of my '89 T1 code first. It still won't start the car - won't even turn on the ASD or flash codes...

jckrieger
10-02-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm definitely interested in the 91 R/T cals. Will a 91 T1 ECM accept an R/T cal? I'm not sure if there is a difference in hardware between the two.

-Clark

ShelGame
10-02-2007, 01:24 PM
No, I think there are major hardware differences.

Millerman340
10-15-2007, 05:28 PM
How large of a injector are you going to be able to support?

RJ138
10-15-2007, 05:40 PM
How much will the cals cost? Where can I learn more about modifying the computer? Do you just provide a broken down code so someone like me can make tweaks to individual parts? I am extremly interested, if I can't get the stock computer to do what I want then I am going to go stand alone in a year or two. I would prefer to use the stock computer though. How easy is it to make tweaks to the tables?

Frank
10-15-2007, 05:44 PM
There are some wiring differences. When I had both a '92 T1 and a '91 T1 Daytona's, I tried it. The '92 ECU would run my '91 car, but when I went to turn the key off, the engine kept running. Until I hit the brake pedal - then it would die. So, there was something funky going on there. The '91 computer wouldn't start the '92 car. I think I read that you can change a couple of pins on the 60-way and then it's fine. But, I don't know for sure.

Did you try starting it with the brake pedal?! :D hehehehe

ShelGame
10-15-2007, 08:20 PM
How much will the cals cost? Where can I learn more about modifying the computer? Do you just provide a broken down code so someone like me can make tweaks to individual parts? I am extremly interested, if I can't get the stock computer to do what I want then I am going to go stand alone in a year or two. I would prefer to use the stock computer though. How easy is it to make tweaks to the tables?

Well, I intend to post the base cals for free, just like I do now. The source code, I think I'm going to keep to myself.

What I want to do is, make a "base" 3-bar cal that you can download and use as a starting point to make your own cals. The table file will be documented to tell you how each table works.

I hope to have a webpage built soon outlining all the services I can supply. But, in short, I can also make you a cal based on info you provide me. Obviously, it's hard to tune a car over the internet with no dyno. So, the more info the better. Also, I plan to offer custom code services. So, if you want some custom option and you want to run it with a stock ECU, then I can help set that up. In most cases, that will require a bit of testing and trial and error.

Since I don't "dyno tune" like the big cal vendors, I really only charge for my services. I charge $25 for a SMEC chip with a cal burned to it (custom or otherwise), $50 to socket a SMEC or SBEC, $25 to socket a LM, and $50 core charge for an ECU (assuming I have one on my shelf). Custom code projects are on a case-by-case basis.

ShelGame
10-15-2007, 08:20 PM
How large of a injector are you going to be able to support?

As big as you would want, really.

RJ138
10-15-2007, 10:17 PM
If I were to send you all the info of my setup, a spare computer and a bunch of street runs/dyno runs with wideband readouts would we be able to dial it in pretty good? What else would you need? Are you able to send the revised cals over the internet or would I have to mail my computer each time?

Would it be hard to make an E85 cal? Would a 2 step be an option?

I am a total noob when it comes to this computer/calibration stuff, thanks for your time!:thumb:

-Ryan

ShelGame
10-15-2007, 11:09 PM
If I were to send you all the info of my setup, a spare computer and a bunch of street runs/dyno runs with wideband readouts would we be able to dial it in pretty good? What else would you need? Are you able to send the revised cals over the internet or would I have to mail my computer each time?

Would it be hard to make an E85 cal? Would a 2 step be an option?

I am a total noob when it comes to this computer/calibration stuff, thanks for your time!:thumb:

-Ryan

I can't do a T3 cal yet. I'm 98% done with my dis-assembly, but it will still need a little bit more work to get it to where I can make a 3-bar out of it. It's one of my (many) winter computer projects.

The dyno runs + data would be more helpful if it was run with a stock cal or some cal I have available to me. If I don't know what fuel it was programmed for, then it's hard to interpret the results or use it as a baseline. But, always, more data is better.

A 2-step should be an easy option. I already have that in the SMEC cals.

E85 falls into the realm of "custom" I think. It would require a bit more work than a relatively simple adjustment for injectors or MAP sensor. Really, it's more tuning than programming, but probably a lot of work to get it right.

RJ138
10-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Well keep us updated! I have a couple stock computers sitting around that could be used as test mules.;)

Turbo Joe
10-31-2007, 10:42 PM
so how is it coming? I'm looking for the base cal so i can go from there. My only problem is I run a fast system so a program won't do me any good. i need the spark and fuel maps.. any help? pm me so we can talk.. i'll pay ya if need be..

ShelGame
11-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Slow. I'm trying to figure out some of the more obscure code in there right now. It looks like Chrysler made these to be in-cicuit re-programmable. Probably with some other special hardware added inside the ECU.

As for the FAST stuff, the spark and fuel maps would have to be translated. The 3D table format is different, as well as the way Chrysler uses the X and Y scales for the 3D lookup.