PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on best smec and lm for 2 cars

looneytuner
09-19-2007, 12:52 PM
I just decided to toss 3 years of messing around.

My 87 suck through TI GTS is going blow through TI for now. What is the best lm for this setup with full 2.5" exhaust and stock head, ported intake and exhaust?

My 89 TC is getting the all forged CB with TU header, ported intake, 3" exhaust. What is the best SBEC for this setup. I THINK the 89 TC has the SBEC since the engines were shipped in 88 to Italy.

the reason I'm doing this is to get a DD driver (GTS) and "home alone" weekend cruiser up and running.

correct me if I'm wrong on the sbec or any other thinking (about these plans).

iTurbo
09-19-2007, 12:58 PM
You can tell the difference between SMEC and SBEC by looking at the plugs. The SMEC has a 14-way and 60-way connector. The SBEC only has the 60-way.

looneytuner
09-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks. Gonna look right now. Congrats on beating Turbovanman on the reply!!!!!!

OK just for reference, the 89 TC is the two connectors.

mcsvt
09-19-2007, 01:23 PM
yeah TC's are SMEC as far as I know.

ShelGame
09-19-2007, 01:48 PM
All TC's are SMEC, even the 1990's...

turbovanmanČ
09-19-2007, 03:27 PM
I just decided to toss 3 years of messing around.

My 87 suck through TI GTS is going blow through TI for now. What is the best lm for this setup with full 2.5" exhaust and stock head, ported intake and exhaust?

Use the MP TII CSX computer or a custom cal, :D

cordes
09-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Use the MP TII CSX computer or a custom cal, :D

He is running a log, so that won't work. The best bet for those would probably be to track down a MP computer, or perhaps to socket the board and try to find a version of it that you could burn. It would probably work out to being about the same price, and then you could go a head and burn chips for your SMEC too.

looneytuner
09-19-2007, 09:30 PM
He is running a log, so that won't work. The best bet for those would probably be to track down a MP computer, or perhaps to socket the board and try to find a version of it that you could burn. It would probably work out to being about the same price, and then you could go a head and burn chips for your SMEC too.

No, I'm going to blow through TI setup on an 87. IE the later style intake and tb. the reason is I have a 40,000 mile rebuilt 87 TI engine and converted turbo ready to go. All I need is a cal to run the later style intake and tb on 87 electronics.
Nobody is willing to pay 400 for the engine run on Mobil 1 so I'll just drive it another 180,000 miles.

cordes
09-19-2007, 09:33 PM
No, I'm going to blow through TI setup on an 87. IE the later style intake and tb. the reason is I have a 40,000 mile rebuilt 87 TI engine and converted turbo ready to go. All I need is a cal to run the later style intake and tb on 87 electronics.
Nobody is willing to pay 400 for the engine run on Mobil 1 so I'll just drive it another 180,000 miles.

OK, I thought that you were indicating that you were going to keep it that way for a while.

In that case convert to 87 TII and run a custom cal. PM me if you want the very basics from a guy who had absolutely no idea about this when he started. Now I just know a tiny bit, but I can get around.

ETA: I am in central IL, so we are only about 2.5-3 hrs. away from each other. Pretty cool considering I am the only guy with a running TM that I know of for about 100MI.

looneytuner
09-20-2007, 09:38 AM
In that case convert to 87 TII and run a custom cal. PM me if you want the very basics from a guy who had absolutely no idea about this when he started. Now I just know a tiny bit, but I can get around.

ETA: I am in central IL, so we are only about 2.5-3 hrs. away from each other. Pretty cool considering I am the only guy with a running TM that I know of for about 100MI.

Ah now my mind is messed up again?:o
I have a 2./2cb all forged about ready to be picked up from the machine shop. The head is from MPGMike with os valves, tu header and 3" swingvalve and exhaust.Oh yeah tu rail, afpr, and some other goodies, walbro 255 in tank. My REAL problem is I have 6 damn td's and I don't know where I am.:nod:
I guess I'll just go back to the previous plan to stick it all in this car.
Your offer sounds really great. If you ever come to St. Louis give me a call or pm. I can show you the fleet, and maybe get you a tour of LRE with about 5-8,000' of "never existed" td parts.
After this is done, I have a TC that needs a head gasket and bearing change and new driver's seat leather.
Cindy might be coming up soon. You might get to see HER drool at LRE.;)

looneytuner
09-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Well Mat Wright is going to do a cal for this one. All the scary stuff is going in my silver GTS. The TC is just getting a few mods when I do a headgasket and bearing change.