PDA

View Full Version : 95 common block?

overlordsshadow
09-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Anyone every heard of such a thing? Friend of mine says he has a 2.5 he found at the jy in an 89 turbo caravan but says its a 95 block....

4 l-bodies
09-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Might be a warranty block. I have one cast in 1995. Mine was cast in Mexico. Mine has the fuel pump cutout on it too, but has the webbing of the common block. It's a strange bird. Mine is a 2.2.
Todd

Anyone every heard of such a thing? Friend of mine says he has a 2.5 he found at the jy in an 89 turbo caravan but says its a 95 block....

RoadWarrior222
09-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Well there were '95 model year cars using the 2.5 in N/A form Spirit, LeBaron, caravan and dakota. But most of those were produced before the end of 1994. However, there might have been some runs of production before they took the 2.5 line down completely for mopar replacement engines.

overlordsshadow
09-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Cool, will be nice if I can get a block that is only 12-13 years old.

2.216VTurbo
09-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Probably going to need to add your own turbo oil drainback, isn't there a boss for it anyway on the NA motors? Should be no big deal (not sure)but I have always had supply of turbo blocks round theses parts. pay thru the nose for them though:( ...

overlordsshadow
09-19-2007, 11:49 AM
This one is turbo

raccoon
09-19-2007, 04:48 PM
oh its a 95 turbo block, that is odd.

overlordsshadow
09-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Might be that it was a 95 replacement that had to have the drain back put on.

cordes
09-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Here is the link to the cable for you guys that might be interested.
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=DLP-TTL232R-AJvirtualkey62620000virtualkey626-DLP-TTL232R-AJ

overlordsshadow
09-22-2007, 02:27 AM
I didn't take down the casting marks but there is a sticker on the timing belt side that says the engine is built using 1995 components with a Chrysler Mexico logo. Block is seized but I looks like a good donor so far. No cracks from headbolt holes to water jackets anyway. Saturday or Sunday will tell us what the crank area looks like. I guess I will have spare crank and TII rods and maybe some stock bore pistons. One is melted due to a bad #1 injector.

turbovanmanČ
09-22-2007, 03:30 AM
Here is the link to the cable for you guys that might be interested.
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=DLP-TTL232R-AJvirtualkey62620000virtualkey626-DLP-TTL232R-AJ

WTF are you talking about, I think you posted in the wrong thread, ;)

I didn't take down the casting marks but there is a sticker on the timing belt side that says the engine is built using 1995 components with a Chrysler Mexico logo. Block is seized but I looks like a good donor so far. No cracks from headbolt holes to water jackets anyway. Saturday or Sunday will tell us what the crank area looks like. I guess I will have spare crank and TII rods and maybe some stock bore pistons. One is melted due to a bad #1 injector.

How do you know it was a bad injector, maybe it was too much boost and not enough fuel? :clap:

cordes
09-22-2007, 02:57 PM
WTF are you talking about, I think you posted in the wrong thread, ;)

One too many windows for me to handle that night I guess.

overlordsshadow
09-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Dunno, buddy said it was a bad number one injector. Who knows who cares. Seized right now. Hopefully it loosens by tomorrow. Good looking block as is.

GLHSKEN
09-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Any good machine shop cap drill out the boss for the drainback. Hey... non turbo blocks definately had less stress on them... More than likely a great option...

BadAssPerformance
09-23-2007, 10:29 AM

I have a 2.2L that has that same sticker but says 1997... it was a 12/12 warranty replacement for another 2.2L that I bought that had the same sticker but said 1996.

Mopar sold short and long blocks thru the parts department for a while after they stopped putting them in cars in the US in 1994. Anything '94 or newer that I have seen is "Made in Mexico" maybe cuz they sold 2.5L powered cars through the rest of the '90's?

There should be a part number on the sticker and a date cast into the back of the block. Also confirm if it is a 2.2L or 2.5L and if 2.2L if it is a cast or forged crank.

overlordsshadow
09-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Okay, cbshafts = 2.5 right? Oil pan is now my enemy! Charge!

2.216VTurbo
09-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Okay, cbshafts = 2.5 right? Oil pan is now my enemy! Charge!

You can tell is it has shafts by the shape of the pan, 'strait sided pan' has that room for the shafts, the pan with the sides 'chamfered' off is a non balence shaft pan. I think all the 2.2 pans have that little embossed relief area on the pan for the oil pump pick up but Im not certain You said the motor is seized? Is the head off yet, you seem pretty certain that there is no serious damage in there. With the pan on anything can be hiding in there... I like to take dissasembly pics it helps the diagnosis. Important to figure out what the problem is so it can be cured during the rebuild. keep the main bearings in their places or mark them so you can put them back after the rods/pistons come out. then put the crank back in and check for ease of rotation and end play. Both of those will help determine if you need to just put in new bearings or you are gonna need a line bore. Take your time on dissasmbly and document each problem you find:amen: Ever wonder whay so many guys do a 'rebuild' and then shortly after the motor is refired, they still have a problem:confused: ?

BadAssPerformance
09-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Good advice on the dis-assembly inspection right there :thumb:

Straight side oil pan is a good indication it has balance shafts but they did make 2.2L with balance shafts (VNT motors) ... Obviously it is not the original motor in the car so the oil pan does need to be removed to know for sure either way.

Easy ID... 2.2L or 2.5L and/or a mopar part number should be on a sticker on the front of the block next to the "Made in Mexico"

overlordsshadow
09-23-2007, 12:42 PM
This is just coming out for the block unless it ends up having a forged crank. I have a good crank and rods already undersized so the block is getting bored .020 over at least, and first step undersize on the crank journals. The motor did not come out of the last vehicle seized and head is off. It has just been sitting around. Got this from a friend not a jy.

BadAssPerformance
09-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Block should be good then :thumb:

TopDollar69
10-11-2007, 03:51 PM
An even easier way to tell 2.2L CB is to look for the silver paint on the dipstick under the plastic T handle. They are black on the 2.5L. I know it doesnt work on the 90 TIV, but it's good for the vast majority. It's not always easy to get under a car at the junk yard to look at the pan.