PDA

View Full Version : The '07 SRT-4

contraption22
02-10-2006, 12:19 PM
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1752

Discuss in this forum only. Do not post in thread linked above.

My opinion: When I first laid out the money for my '04 SRT-4, knowing that 05 was to be the last year for the PL2000 chassis, I was afraid that when it's replacement came out, it would be a much better car than the Neon. And I would regret my purchase, wishing I had waited for the new platform.
Now all I can say is, I am even more pleased that I purchased when I did.

TurboGLH
02-10-2006, 12:36 PM
http://www.nightly.net/ubb/graemlins/puke.gif

God that is one ugly car. The lancer based on this platform doesn't look half that bad, too bad chryco dropped the "style" ball on this one. Oh well, you can't knock em all out of the park, but it would have been nice to have 300 factory hp in the pl platform. On a side note, I thought that it was going to be awd as well? Earlier info seemed to suggest that, but I see no mention in the press release. Anyone with more info?

contraption22
02-10-2006, 12:54 PM
You're right... I see no mention of AWD. That would have been the only thing appealing about this thing.

The S is Silent
02-10-2006, 12:57 PM
You're right... I see no mention of AWD. That would have been the only thing appealing about this thing.

I personally think the Jeep Compass looks a lot better. It has smoother body lines and is just more appealing to my eye in general. I'm just hoping they decide to put the SRT4 engine into that with an AWD trans.

slasky
02-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Where is the 2007 srt in that link? I only see a pontiac vibe.

mpboost
02-10-2006, 02:44 PM
I cannot say I like the Caliber much......but I really like the SRT version.

I seriously think I will consider it in a few years when my current SRT is paid off. It sounds like it would make an awesome daily driver, and then I can mod my SRT Neon however I want.

iTurbo
02-16-2006, 03:50 PM
This might be my first new car, since I missed the boat on the original SRT-4s. The more I learn about it the more I like about it. The only thing I don't like is the 'crossover' styling. That and it looks too much like the Vibe. All that room could be really useful though. And AWD would be nice to have in Wyoming.

Is this new 2.4L World Engine anything like the previous 2.4L? Any common parts or a complete redesign?

TurboGLH
02-16-2006, 03:57 PM
This might be my first new car, since I missed the boat on the original SRT-4s. The more I learn about it the more I like about it. The only thing I don't like is the 'crossover' styling. That and it looks too much like the Vibe. All that room could be really useful though. And AWD would be nice to have in Wyoming.

Is this new 2.4L World Engine anything like the previous 2.4L? Any common parts or a complete redesign?

Complete redesign. Allpar has a nice writeup on it if your interested.

BIG PSI
02-16-2006, 09:58 PM
Complete redesign. Allpar has a nice writeup on it if your interested.

I saw TWO Calibers today at my local dealership, a red one and a white one. They are not that bad in person. I will say that they has some NEAT options.
The red one has a boom box that fold down out of the tailgate. They also have a flash light that comes out of the rear dome light assembly.

Chuck

iTurbo
02-17-2006, 03:50 AM
These are already hitting the dealerships eh? Unfortunately all the Chrysler/Dodge dealerships sell around here are trucks and SUVs. I'd probably have to go to Denver to pick a Caliber SRT-4 up....wonder how much longer we'll have to wait.

Lugert
02-17-2006, 10:24 AM
They are beyond ugly.

TrrboJeep
02-17-2006, 10:49 AM
Awe, come on guys,
I find it funny that so many, that live in (drive) glass houses, are throwing stones at the Caliber (a fellow inmate)!
Omni, Reliant K, Acclaim, Neon... If these cars had no performance to offer, would you drive them? Most likely not. In other words your not driving them for their sexy curb appeal!
The Caliber will be no different... true to TD form, it will be no head turner in the looks department, but it will rip you a new one in the performace arena! :nod:

Just think, 20 years from now, these mutant, fogotten about, cast off's will be patrolling the streets, kept alive by TD enthusiasts and reakin terror on V8's everywhere! :D

The true beauty of the Caliber is what lies beneath the skin... 300hp and the capability of much more. I bet these motors will handle 400! (the car comes with a 200 mph speedo) Potential, potential, potential.... ;) 6 speed manual, quantif, brakes the size of my 3/4 ton Ram...

Don't be so quick to dismiss her untill you've seen her without her clothes on and given her a role in the hay!

TurboGLH
02-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Awe, come on guys,
I find it funny that so many, that live in (drive) glass houses, are throwing stones at the Caliber (a fellow inmate)!
Omni, Reliant K, Acclaim, Neon... If these cars had no performance to offer, would you drive them? Most likely not. In other words your not driving them for their sexy curb appeal!
The Caliber will be no different... true to TD form, it will be no head turner in the looks department, but it will rip you a new one in the performace arena! :nod:

Just think, 20 years from now, these mutant, fogotten about, cast off's will be patrolling the streets, kept alive by TD enthusiasts and reakin terror on V8's everywhere! :D

The true beauty of the Caliber is what lies beneath the skin... 300hp and the capability of much more. I bet these motors will handle 400! (the car comes with a 200 mph speedo) Potential, potential, potential.... ;) 6 speed manual, quantif, brakes the size of my 3/4 ton Ram...

Don't be so quick to dismiss her untill you've seen her without her clothes on and given her a role in the hay!

See that's the thing, I actually like the way an omni looks, and while I admit the neon srt-4 took some getting used once the wing was gone it's a pretty good looking car. The caliber on the other hand, wooo... UGLY! I think it's even worse for me because I've seen shots of the evo on the same platform and it looks badass.

contraption22
02-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Awe, come on guys,

There is a big difference between cars that do not have much style at all ('80's Chryslers) and cars that are butt fugly. (Element, Matrix, Vibe, Scion Xa, Xb, and now the Caliber).

The '07 SRT-4 looks like DCX's best effort at polishing a turd.

But it could be worse..... check this out. If the Caliber is DCX's Vibe/Matrix, this thing is a Xa/Xb.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1973

Pat
02-17-2006, 01:53 PM

Now that is funny!!!!

Lugert
02-17-2006, 02:02 PM
Don't be so quick to dismiss her untill you've seen her without her clothes on and given her a roll in the hay!

It is still not okay to bring an ugly girl home, no matter how good the roll in the hay was! :thumb:

I suppose you could tell your friends that the car has a nice personality! :lol:

ScottD
02-17-2006, 02:45 PM
I'll have to wait and see one in person before I pass final judgement. Alot of stuff looks different in person. I don't like the new Charger, but when I saw the SRT version in person it looked good.

But I definitely like the 03-05 SRT-4s better. I don't know why Mopar felt that they had to give Dodge something to compete with a PT Cruiser. They should've left it as a sedan.

I'm not sure where the Hornet fits into the scheme of things either. People who want Scion xBs are going to buy them, not a Hornet.

TrrboJeep
02-17-2006, 03:07 PM
I suppose you could tell your friends that the car has a nice personality! :lol:
Bingo... and then proceed to show them tail lights, as you dust them! :eyebrows:

iTurbo
02-17-2006, 09:48 PM
I've also seen pics of the prototype Lancer Evo X which is supposedly on the same platform and it looks a LOT better, although a little too agressive. If Chrysler made a sedan version of the Caliber, I bet a lot more people would be interested in buying one.

I really don't think the Caliber looks that bad, although I've been driving '80s FWD Dodge cars for the last 12 years so I'm used to driving an 'ugly' car.

contraption22
02-17-2006, 10:47 PM
I can see the jokes now...

What do a Caliber SRT-4 and a fat chick have in common?

They're both fun to ride until your friends see you.

dodgeshadowchik
02-18-2006, 08:03 PM
"The true beauty of the Caliber is what lies beneath the skin... 300hp and the capability of much more. I bet these motors will handle 400! (the car comes with a 200 mph speedo) Potential, potential, potential.... 6 speed manual, quantif, brakes the size of my 3/4 ton Ram..."

how about taking that driveline and putting it in a car that looks a lot better...like an old turbo dodge..even a neon!! ;)

i personally dislike this caliber. it's a rip-off of all the other crossover station wagons. and dodge (as well as the rest of the market) already has too many station wagons. it wouldn't be so bad if dodge offered a "car" version of it, like ford does with the focus. i did see one of these in person at the north american internal auto show, and i had the same reaction to it as when i saw pictures of it.

i guess mayeb i'm just frustrated that all that seems to get made now is crappy crossovers... and refridgerator boxes on wheels (i.e scion, element and now this eyesore thing called a hornet). i miss the small coupes and sedans. :)

The S is Silent
02-18-2006, 08:17 PM
i guess mayeb i'm just frustrated that all that seems to get made now is crappy crossovers... and refridgerator boxes on wheels (i.e scion, element and now this eyesore thing called a hornet). i miss the small coupes and sedans. :)

The hornet really isn't a crossover. It's closer to the dimensions of a Mini Cooper. It's going to be heavy for it's size, but I'm willing to bet it will handle like it's on rails. I'm a bit excited about that one...the Caliber on the other hand...no. I could care less. I don't care what it's packin' underhood. I agree with you 100% there. Boo for crappy crossovers.

Marcus86GLHS
02-19-2006, 05:19 PM
"...See that's the thing, I actually like the way an omni looks...."

well i've never seen that typed out before.

ok so the Caliber SRT-4 isnt gorgeous but come on guys D-C has got to make money and these are the types of vehicles that make money today.

let 'em build this, sell the crap outa it, and use the profits to finance our 2007 6.1L Hemi Challenger "camaro/mustang killer".

iTurbo
02-19-2006, 07:04 PM
After seeing the Hornet I think the Caliber SRT-4 looks damn good!

fleckster
02-19-2006, 07:15 PM
I think you guys need to look closer at these concepts. (Hornet and Rampage) While they may not come directly to production, there are a bunch of great packaging, interior, and even some styling ideas "hiding" in plain sight that will probably make it into future production vehicles. (i.e. Rampage stow and go seats on a truck, ramp integrated into the tailgate, Hornet's rear seats that make it comfortable in the rear but flip and fold flat to make a really nice open storage area.) With all the no B Pillar vehicles showing up in concept form (Imperial, Rampage, Hornet) one would have to think they are going to be making some vehicles that have this feature that has grown out of what the atomakers have learned from extended cab rear doors like they now use in the Dakota.

contraption22
02-19-2006, 09:18 PM
I think you guys need to look closer at these concepts. (Hornet and Rampage) While they may not come directly to production, there are a bunch of great packaging, interior, and even some styling ideas "hiding" in plain sight that will probably make it into future production vehicles. (i.e. Rampage stow and go seats on a truck, ramp integrated into the tailgate, Hornet's rear seats that make it comfortable in the rear but flip and fold flat to make a really nice open storage area.) With all the no B Pillar vehicles showing up in concept form (Imperial, Rampage, Hornet) one would have to think they are going to be making some vehicles that have this feature that has grown out of what the atomakers have learned from extended cab rear doors like they now use in the Dakota.

Those are all nifty features. But why would they have to come in such dorky packaging?

TurboGLH
02-20-2006, 01:18 AM
"...See that's the thing, I actually like the way an omni looks...."

well i've never seen that typed out before.

What? you don't like the way your s-car looks? I guess maybe they grow on you, but I'm a sucker for a 4 door l-body. I'm even thinking of picking one up again.

The S is Silent
02-20-2006, 02:38 AM
What? you don't like the way your s-car looks? I guess maybe they grow on you, but I'm a sucker for a 4 door l-body. I'm even thinking of picking one up again.

+1. I love 4 door L-bodies. If one comes up for sale near me, chances are, I'm going to buy it.

dodgeshadowchik
02-21-2006, 09:42 AM

interior? they use way to much plastic and cheap materials on the interiors now. when i have test drove a few of thse new cars i was afraid to touch anything because it looked it like was going to break. and the seat covers look equally as cheap. my '94 shadow, heck, even my neon's interior have better quality in them.

and to attest to this, i used to work for a dealer, and we replaced these cheap plastic pieces on a daily basis.