PDA

View Full Version : WTB: '87 Daytona front chin spoiler thingy

ShelGame
09-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Does anyone have a chin spoiler from an '87 Daytona (maybe other years, but I've only seen them on the '87's)? Here's a pic of one on the front of an '87:

BadAssPerformance
09-18-2007, 08:38 AM
'87 and '88 are the same :thumb:

BIGBRUDDA
09-18-2007, 03:09 PM
I have a white one here in cincinnati. $40+ shipping

ShelGame
09-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Hmm, what do you think shipping would be to 48189? How close is Cincy to Columbus anyway? I'm goingto be in Columbus in 2 weeks for the NHRA SportsNationals...

GLHNSLHT2
09-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Rob, why do you want one?

ShelGame
09-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Little bit better aero on my C/S. Probably don't really need it, but I'm looking for any thing I can find to upgrade for this off-season...

Jasmeleg08
09-18-2007, 10:30 PM
Cincy is about 1.5 to 2hrs southeast of Columbus. Maybe alittle more. Yeah they came on '87's and '88's. Why not just upgrade to a 89+ front end? You can hold an IC better.

ShelGame
09-19-2007, 07:53 AM
It has an '89 front end. It's an '89 C/S.

But, I know what you mean - the Shelby style front end. I think it'd look funny without the ground efects. Plus, I can't run an IC anyway (class rules). I don't have any problems with cooling. I'm going to try and lower the car - should help all the way down the track. And, I wanted the chin spoiler just to improve the aero a little bit. Plus, I like the way it looks on the 'standard' front end...

88_pacifica
09-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Hey Rob... Wouldn't the "slight" added weight(10 pds or less?) counterbalance getting a better coefficient. I would think that lowering the vehicle or "raking it" might yield better results. Have you noticed that it "floats" or "walks" on the upper end of the track.

I know the GN's had the one that's recessed on the frame, but not the actual bumper. Yours is currently the same setup as the pacifica style right?

BIGBRUDDA
09-19-2007, 08:23 AM
I have 2 ,89 air dams. Both silver.$75 for the" good" 1, and $30 for the cracked & repaired 1.:thumb:
You could ship them to Columbus via "TURBO-MOPAR XPRESS"(someone attending the meet) from here.:bolt:

Shipping rates would be rather high$$ due to large package size.:(

OR !! Rob you could attend TURBOPALOOZA in November, get youre stuff ,race, eat, drink, and make merry with a bunch of US.:amen:

ShelGame
09-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Hey Rob... Wouldn't the "slight" added weight(10 pds or less?) counterbalance getting a better coefficient. I would think that lowering the vehicle or "raking it" might yield better results. Have you noticed that it "floats" or "walks" on the upper end of the track.

I know the GN's had the one that's recessed on the frame, but not the actual bumper. Yours is currently the same setup as the pacifica style right?

Yeah, but the weight is on the front, where I need it. I've got 50lbs of ballast already bolted to the bottom of the rad support. I can take 10 out of it easy.

Actually, the car originally came with a setup similar tothe GN's you describe. I took it off becuase it was mangled many by curb hits. Probably wasn't doing any good. I may fabricate soemthing like that and put it on.

GLHNSLHT2
09-19-2007, 11:25 PM
For your short burst's down the track the air fence under the rad isn't needed. If you were highway driving it I'd say yes. Now if you want some better aero after adding the 87-88 chin spoiler you need an S10 airdamn. http://www.pnw-sdac.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=632

There's pics of it on my 87 Shelby Z and on a 90 CS VNT. It really helps hold the nose down at speed.

ShelGame
09-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Hmm, looks like you have both on there. Not sure I could get away with the S-10 chin. Someone would easily figure out that that wasn't a factory piece and protest me...

Oh, and someone asked previously - yes, the front end does float at the top end of the track. Mostly due to the drag-race alignement, I'm sure, but better aero couldn't hurt.

Mike_Shepard
09-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Rob when is the race you speak of? Im not too far fron national trails and just might come out to watch

ShelGame
09-20-2007, 09:35 AM
The SportsNats are the Sept 28-30 (weekend after next). It's sportsman-only national event. So, no Nitro cars. But, there will be a ton of stock/superstock cars up thorugh the alchohol Funny Cars. I'm pretty sure I'll be the only turbo dodge out there; unless you count the SRT-4 that will probably show up in A/FS...

RoadWarrior222
09-20-2007, 10:02 AM
I'd be tempted to remove the factory spoiler on the back.... or cut the straight section out, flip it, and JB Weld it back on again.

ShelGame
09-20-2007, 11:48 AM
I've thought about it, but the car was originally black, and the spoiler wasn't removed when they painted it (cheap bastages). So, if I just remove it, there would be black where it used to be. Oh, well - maybe when I get the money for a decent paint job...

GLHNSLHT2
09-20-2007, 09:19 PM
that's cause it's a ----- to remove it. the whole rear interior has to come out to get to the side pieces.

Rob as far as the S10 piece it's almost identical to the piece that came on the 84-86 Turbo Z's. Basically if you placed them side by side you'd have a hard time telling them apart. So just tell people it's an early daytona part :)

ShelGame
05-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Zombie thread!

I'm brining this one back from the dead - still looking for one of these chin spoilers. I really want an original Daytona part...

Hey, I think we need a zombie thread smiley. Do any exsist?

BIGBRUDDA
05-20-2008, 09:23 AM
I still have those spoilers too!:clap: I'll be on vacation till 5/28:nod:

Anonymous_User
05-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Can't help you locate one, but I've had them shipped to me in the past via Greyhound at a cost of about $50 coming from the East coast to the midwest.

I think they are too large for any other shipping methods.

ShelGame
05-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Bringing this one back from the dead. Now that the car is running again, I want to try and get one of these. Can't hurt the MPH at the top end. I want to see if I can get my Daytona over 100mph in the 1/4mi...

ShelGame
05-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Anyone?

1966 dart wagon
05-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Not to hijack but im also looking for one, obviously rob has dibs on the first one though the thread, Im in south Dakota prefer to be close cause I know shipping will kill, but will ship if needed. Oh and i actually prefer it cracked since i'll just fix it but if not broken thats ok too.

Good luck finding one Rob!